S&DJR - Bachmann 4F - Midland Variety

• RMweb Premium

Now that Bachmann are confirmed to be doing a 4F, and it's the Midland one, can someone point me in the direction of information for which members of that build are suitable for running on the Somerset and Dorset in the latter stages of its life?

The Midland 4Fs were numbered 43835-44026 in BR days, from my research the only ones in this batch known to have worked on the S&D were 43853/75 and 43995. Whether they were allocated to S&D sheds or just visitors I can't confirm.

The S&D 4Fs were also built to this design by Armstrong-Whitworth - they were numbered 57-61 in S&D days and became 44557-61 in BR days, 44560 outliving the line itself.

• RMweb Premium

The tenders behind the S&D ones were slightly different with rivets visible so you would need to make sure of that.

Did the original Midland builds have the rivets on the tenders?

For 4F tenders on the S&DJR, see this thread. Some Midland and early LMS built 4Fs with right hand drive on the S&DJR that I've noted in photos were (4)3835 (1946), 43875 (1946-9), (4)4046 (1936), 44096 (1953), and 44102 (1953). The latter two with Fowler tenders, the others with Johnson beaded types. For a much longer list, see http://www.sdjr.net/locolist.html. Apart from Midland built examples, the Bachmann model will also provide a good basis for the LMS built RHD engines 4027-4206 and 4302-4311 as well as the Armstrongs. Thereafter, it's down to individual dated photos to make sure...

Nick

Archived