Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

It'll be interesting if I update the Index at a later date. KL will be plodding along towards its destruction, then there'll be references to Monty Python and heaven knows what else!

Then the build will start again. It'll look funny. I guess we're treading water - funny though.

And Scott - I think Mankini Man would appreciate some company if you ever get round to it!

Jeff

Not Lady Julia by any chance? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Not Lady Julia by any chance? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Quite possibly, knowing Scott.

Your comment made me go back to look at post #8076.....

Lack of action or not, still very quiet on the Forum. I've just been looking/planning (in outline) girder/riser positions for the new bunker. Yes, there are other things to do - all in good time!

Jeff

• Like 1

Planning is the secret to success, I'm doodling something 6ft x 2 ft with Blue Class 47's, 33 or 25's, and 50's etc in mind.

I can see you making MODULAR baseboards BEFORE you move, :no: :no: hahaha

Sounds like a PLAN, :O :o :O

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I've just been looking at the pics of Ribblehead Viaduct in Welcome to the S & C. can you extend your? hahaaaa

Andy :sungum:

If only I could - it would be a sight to behold.

If I had 32' x 32' I'd build a 15 arch viaduct.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Planning is the secret to success, I'm doodling something 6ft x 2 ft with Blue Class 47's, 33 or 25's, and 50's etc in mind.

I can see you making MODULAR baseboards BEFORE you move, :no: :no: hahaha

Sounds like a PLAN, :O :o :O

Actually it's not easy to do that in advance because the framing and boards are as open-top as you can get - except for the fiddle yard.

I also don't want to have to carry large structures when I move.

But it'd be really good to be able to get started, as you know.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I know the feeling I did ponder about modelling Barmouth Bridge but no room for trains to pass no sidings to shunt wagons you do need some room for other things.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Well, there's tons of activity elsewhere now! Struggling to keep up with Bodge - I think we're chasing each other around the threads.

Mike - I've posted a reply on Dent to your track expansion query, and just checked on here: Post 1305 gives further info.

Jeff

post-5212-0-05004300-1381444854.jpg

On the subject of bridge construction, I wondered if you seen this. .

Search Connel Ferry Bridge for more photos etc

Sorry to go off topic Jeff... thought it might be of interest. I was very impressed

Yes that's Peter Midwinter's one on his Glen Gillie or Loch Inch thread.

You should see the pic of it in the garden across the garden bench, its massive.

Andy :sungum:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks re: expansion. Do you know when I was at school I used to argue that I would never need to use all that algebra, logerithems, (don't even know how to spell that one)and other such devilish attributes, well I've got away with it till now it seems. Cheers mate.

Well its back to work tomorrow so the pace will obviously drop by a goodly percentage.........oh no, another equasion looms..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Thanks re: expansion. Do you know when I was at school I used to argue that I would never need to use all that algebra, logerithems, (don't even know how to spell that one)and other such devilish attributes, well I've got away with it till now it seems. Cheers mate.

Well its back to work tomorrow so the pace will obviously drop by a goodly percentage.........oh no, another equasion looms..

Thanks Mike. A bit of Physics can be helpful - and sometimes reassuring. Must admit, I was also concerned about the potential expansion/contraction. A small gap is all that's needed. Somewhere earlier in KL - probably in the first 1200 posts - there's a photo posted by Larry (Coachmann) showing one of his earlier efforts - without expansion gaps. If I can spot it, I'll put the post number on here.

It's logarithms, by the way. The bane of calculations in the pre-calculator age!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Oh Gawd, I can't resist!

Have you heard about the constipated mathematician?

He worked his logs out with a pencil!!!

Sorry!

John E.

That is REALLY bad, even by my  Bodgit's standards!!

At least I'm not old enough to have used a slide rule!

Jeff

Faber-Castell is a greater name than any other in the history of true real facts.

Rumour has it that Shostakovich used one for all his compositions. I don't doubt it.

as I write, Max Bruch's   POPULAR violin concerto is playing, nearly drowning out the birdsong in the garden, where giant tomatoes are obscuring the view of Kapiti Island.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Never used a slide rule! YEEE GOD's. I actually chose this as a prize for my ' apprentice of the year' award (head swelling). The other choices were a camera or erm .... forgotten.

Ah the good old fiddling stick.  A marvellous tool.    However on the expansion question I built a layout in my loft in the winter and in mid summer went up to find it all nicely in S bends as I'd used SMP track in yard lengths with track pins about every 9" to hold it down.   I now use 5' boards and always anchor the track at the ends of each board and allow about 3mm for expansion in the centre of the board.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Ah the good old fiddling stick.  A marvellous tool.    However on the expansion question I built a layout in my loft in the winter and in mid summer went up to find it all nicely in S bends as I'd used SMP track in yard lengths with track pins about every 9" to hold it down.   I now use 5' boards and always anchor the track at the ends of each board and allow about 3mm for expansion in the centre of the board.

Jamie

Some good advice there. I laid mine in November-December, but made sure I kept the bunker at a decent temperature (about 16C) during the laying period. I'd read somewhere about the potential problems  of a winter "lay". Having said that, I made sure there was plenty of room for expansion should such occur...

Slide rules - heard of them during my history classes (ouch)  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Its good to see that you have kept up the high standards in my absence 

Billy, you'll have noticed that KL currently doesn't exist.

However, I think you were more likely referring to the quality of the humour on here. Fortunately, it's as bad as ever!

Especially from that NZ bloke who can't abide any music written after 1900: Shostakovich and slide rules.....

Rob - if you like Bruch, listen to his cello piece Kol Nidrei. Magic music.

Jeff

Thankyou, but it's Brahms Piano again for the moment, are such as Bruch's cello piece downloadable anywhere? I must get serious and hook my computer up to my amp someday...  but the speaker wires in the back are just friction clamps and I'm scared to move it away from the wall!

Still having difficulty with this no slide-rule youth you had to endure, but then you might have preferred chemical explosions or whatever those types did... 

Protractors.     The abacus.        nah, all foreign,  possibly Korean.... 

just remember p = ma,  v2 = u2 + 2as,  v = u + at,  and you'll have British Railways running as sweetly as a , um, falling leaf...

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1