Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Hi Jeff,

You can't beat a really, really nice tree or two in a decent sized garden, obviously they need to be a safe distance from the foundations or problems will develop in years to come. As for species I have always loved the wonderfully coloured greenish ones, I don't like those winter types that have no blooming leaves, I mean if you go to all the trouble of planting a tree or two surely they should have the decency to stay green, don't you agree. :declare: I'll leave now shall I?

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

You can't beat a really, really nice tree or two in a decent sized garden, obviously they need to be a safe distance from the foundations or problems will develop in years to come. As for species I have always loved the wonderfully coloured greenish ones, I don't like those winter types that have no blooming leaves, I mean if you go to all the trouble of planting a tree or two surely they should have the decency to stay green, don't you agree. :declare: I'll leave now shall I?

Mike, didn't you mean, I'll Leaf now shall I

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

That looks a nice size garden as well.  The plan looks good, as long as the trees are small enough not to fall on your house.  We live next to and in what used to be the Queen's pine forest and we are very grateful that the 100ft pines that are left are more than 100ft away.

The stone circles, are they so that you can tell when the shortest day is?  We have one of those things not far from me, you may have heard of it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff I think we had a red-berried Rowan out the front but whenever it dropped its Berries they got trod indoors.

So I chopped it down :O

You cruel "%$&^*(%^!!!!!

I shall report you to the RSPCT.....

Seriously, it's been fun on the Forum today after a few days "out of the loop". Anyone looking on here will be thinking "what the hell is all this about?" - maybe they'll think it's a gardening website! I don't care, so long as you are all enjoying yourselves! But when I come to update the modelling index for KL, I can well imagine pages 420 to 500ish will not be referenced!

Chris - the stone circles are purely decorative. No druid rituals for me - though I may set up a sundial somewhere in the garden.

Bearing in mind my love for building and gardening, it should be obvious that the garage conversion may have to wait a little while - probably until the autumn.

Jeff

• Like 5

I have to admit I do enjoy Garden design, I have one of my Dads old gardening books, (well I have several, but there wasted on me), and its all about designing small gardens. If we get the Bungalow it has a small back garden that is totally patio-ed at the moment, and there all a DARK SATANIC GREY. I will lift about three quarters and  do some ornamental graveled areas (for the dog) with some nicer slabs and possibly a circle put in as well, All this will need to be mixed with some small shrubbery around the perimeter. Just over the back 6ft fence is a row of Leylandii that are cropped at about 10ft as there are offices behind that.

The lifted Patio slabs will hopefully replace the grass in the front along with more ornamental gravel  and shrubs.

• Like 1

Ooo, talking trees are we, lovely I like trees. Funnily enough while I was away we met a Professor of Trees and Forestry so imagine if you can these two old f@rts talking trees over dinner one night, I do worry about myself as I get older. :scratchhead:

Also when I moved into this house and the last one I cut down and removed several trees as they were just wrong for what I had in mind, a lot of them were conifers though and were replaced by Acers, cherry and of course other fruit. Iv'e only got room for 4 dwarf root stock apples here but had an arch of 22 in my previous garden in the first half of the fruit/veg plot, I really do miss that garden.

post-13569-0-57427500-1399016539.jpg

Luckily another friend has kindly let me have the use of some spare land and a 40ft poly tunnel all within 100m of the house which gives me more to look after than I ever had and seeing as how the weather is better today it looks as if I will be busy.

Catch you later

• Like 5

Ooo, talking trees are we, lovely I like trees. Funnily enough while I was away we met a Professor of Trees and Forestry so imagine if you can these two old f@rts talking trees over dinner one night, I do worry about myself as I get older. :scratchhead:

Also when I moved into this house and the last one I cut down and removed several trees as they were just wrong for what I had in mind, a lot of them were conifers though and were replaced by Acers, cherry and of course other fruit. Iv'e only got room for 4 dwarf root stock apples here but had an arch of 22 in my previous garden in the first half of the fruit/veg plot, I really do miss that garden.

attachicon.gif51701_d4_IMG_11_00001 (2).jpg

Luckily another friend has kindly let me have the use of some spare land and a 40ft poly tunnel all within 100m of the house which gives me more to look after than I ever had and seeing as how the weather is better today it looks as if I will be busy.

Catch you later

But have you met Dr Doolittle yet??

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

In the last place we had a nice corner plot and I built up the corner and built in a large (Dee said to large for the garden) fish pond with a 5 tier waterfall coming down to it. I was lovely to sit in the conservatory watching the birds coming down to bathe in the mornings and training their young. I really miss the pond and the fish so may just do that again when / if we move.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice photo, Jim.

Now we know where you get your enthusiasm for the lovely model trees you're making!

As essential in the garden (size allowing) as on the layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

In the last place we had a nice corner plot and I built up the corner and built in a large (Dee said to large for the garden) fish pond with a 5 tier waterfall coming down to it. I was lovely to sit in the conservatory watching the birds coming down to bathe in the mornings and training their young. I really miss the pond and the fish so may just do that again when / if we move.

Maybe you should incorporate some kind of scenic water feature into TLGP, Andy? If you are still thinking of the Peak Distict/Midland, a downhill stream into a pool shouldn't be too hard to fashion.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It IS a nice photo, Andy. The lighting on the water makes it.

Was it done using varnish or one of the gel products like Deluxe Water? I remember Alan downes commenting on the use of PVA glue and a hairdryer....

But that's another topic!

Jeff

Nice water feature, Andy.

Looks like a block of council flats in the background - you just need to throw a couple of shopping trolleys and a car tyre in the flow to set the scene...

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Nice water feature, Andy.

Looks like a block of council flats in the background - you just need to throw a couple of shopping trolleys and a car tyre in the flow to set the scene...

Scott

Agree about the block of flats. But shopping trolleys and car tyres? We don't have such vandalism in glorious England. Must be an Australian phenomenon!!

Jeff

Morning Jeff and Scott, the base was just done with some flock and ballast over a thin layer of PVA, then it had TWO COATS of Fiberglass resin, (one guy used to work at he Reliant factory many years ago).

After application it was a case of EVACUATE THE BUILDING FAST.

One week later and although it was rock hard you could still smell it, so time for the second coat.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff and Scott, the base was just done with some flock and ballast over a thin layer of PVA, then it had TWO COATS of Fiberglass resin, (one guy used to work at he Reliant factory many years ago).

One week later and although it was rock hard you could still smell it, so time for the second coat.

It's very effective and - with the lighting - gives just the right indication of the flow of the river/stream.

Jeff

It's very effective and - with the lighting - gives just the right indication of the flow of the river/stream.

Jeff

I agree, but when I saw it set I said it needed some more coats for a flatter smoother sheen, but the photos tell a much different story.

Edited by Andrew P

See Andy, the Aussie phenomenon would not be to throw trolleys in that water like Jeff suggested, but to invite all your mob round to sniff the fumes while the resin dried!!!

• RMweb Premium

There will, of course, be a stream on KL2, but I certainly won't be using resin to create it.

It's been a good 5 months since I last posted the KL2 trackplan. I keep referring to features in the plan, so, at the risk of boring those who are already familiar with it, I'll post it below. It's not definitive, but gives 90%+ of what will be there.

post-13778-0-82343300-1399219076_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

Hi Jeff,

It'll never work! :nono:  :jester:  :jester:

Only joking Jeff, lucky KL2 will be DCC following the troubles I have had with Dent's single slip wiring I would not even contemplate wiring KL2! I finally ironed out the gremlins today by re-wiring each of the slips in isolation instead of TRYING to be clever and setting up routes, lesson learned! :scratchhead:

It looks a really interesting prospect to operate with plenty of variation and shunt moves.......Jealous of Wirral :locomotive:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Have you decided on access yet, or are you still contemplating?  Nothing of course has to be set in stone until you have set in stone your garden.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Have you decided on access yet, or are you still contemplating?  Nothing of course has to be set in stone until you have set in stone your garden.

Could you show the entrance as it is at the moment please?

There will, of course, be a stream on KL2, but I certainly won't be using resin to create it.

It's been a good 5 months since I last posted the KL2 trackplan. I keep referring to features in the plan, so, at the risk of boring those who are already familiar with it, I'll post it below. It's not definitive, but gives 90%+ of what will be there.

attachicon.gifMarch 4 S&C and NER boards.jpg

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, just watching Julia Bradbury climbing a Mountain in a skirt and Ladies Hat, very nice.

Anyway, thank's for posting the track plan again, I'd forgotten what this thread is all about, pretty red and yellow patches and lots of cryptic notes.

Still looks good.

BTW Julia has finished now.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Jeff, just watching Julia Bradbury climbing a Mountain in a skirt and Ladies Hat, very nice.

Anyway, thank's for posting the track plan again, I'd forgotten what this thread is all about, pretty red and yellow patches and lots of cryptic notes.

Still looks good.

BTW Julia has finished now.

Just signed in..... The barbecue with lamb kebabs took precedence over the TV. Annoyed to have missed Julia, though. What was the programme - I'll catch it on iPlayer.

I thought the plan needed re-posting. It seems YEARS (and it's only 5 months) since KL met its maker and proper modelling on this thread ceased!

Jeff

• Like 2