Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I always found Physics easier than math, because I could see the point of being able to figure out where the cannon ball would land...but figuring out random numbers for math doesn't hold much interest to me.  Even Calculus, I can see the use of figuring the area under the curve, but only when you NEED the area under the curve to calculate something different.  I couldn't care how much area is under a curve if it isn't providing me with something useful.  (like, say, the area of a model railway...like how I snuck the reference into the physics lesson ?) 

Good teachers can explain _why_ they are teaching what is being taught.  I put up the reference to "New Math" in my last post- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA  which might be a joke, but at the same time has a serious point to it.  If someone understands why they are trying to learn something, usually I find that it improves the learning outcome.  To bring that back to Model Railways, I think that model engineering in general has taught me a huge amount- I wouldn't be doing the job I am doing had I not come from an engineering type background, and I certainly wouldn't do some of the fun (???) things which I do. 

• Like 2

Agree with James, I always loved 'applied' maths as much as I loved physics, which made them much easier to learn, and I'm sure the love was nurtured by a couple of clever teachers at secondary level. Didn't like 'pure' maths as much and interestingly, was taught that subject by a retired Army officer who didn't particularly like students! Yes, I've heard all the arguments about how one begat the other (especially from a lady friend who just took her doctorate as a hobby!) the application of the 'applied' version to physical problem solving made it much easier to absorb for me!

Sorry to hi-Jack the thread Jeff!

Really looking forward to today's report and pic's on the bunker - I know the railway modelling element of the thread will certainly pick up pace once you have time to spend in there. I do however realise that you'll want to get the 'earthworks' and general moving in tasks out of the way whilst the weather is (hopefully) at its best!

Wish I was young and fit enough to make such a move..........

Good luck and kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Agree with James, I always loved 'applied' maths as much as I loved physics, which made them much easier to learn, and I'm sure the love was nurtured by a couple of clever teachers at secondary level. Didn't like 'pure' maths as much and interestingly, was taught that subject by a retired Army officer who didn't particularly like students! Yes, I've heard all the arguments about how one begat the other (especially from a lady friend who just took her doctorate as a hobby!) the application of the 'applied' version to physical problem solving made it much easier to absorb for me!

Sorry to hi-Jack the thread Jeff!

Really looking forward to today's report and pic's on the bunker - I know the railway modelling element of the thread will certainly pick up pace once you have time to spend in there. I do however realise that you'll want to get the 'earthworks' and general moving in tasks out of the way whilst the weather is (hopefully) at its best!

Wish I was young and fit enough to make such a move..........

Good luck and kind regards,

Jock.

Same here, Jock. I only became a Physicist - ending up researching in the nuclear industry before teaching, because of my love for astrophysics, but I could have ended up as an engineer in different circumstances.

Having said that, my favourite (and best) subject at school was chemistry, which I still love. Physical and Organic chemistry - wonderful stuff!

Again, don't worry about the thread. Anyone who looks on here is probably a twisted Lunester :jester:  :jester: , and do they care - NO!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazing what can be done with some concrete edging slabs and a lorry load of black top.

And then they charge you for the privilege!

Couldn't get into the bunker today. Will have the keys Wednesday or Thursday, so some "exciting" interior shots to come!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To keep Jock happy, here's another couple of views.

Jock - yes, plenty to do in the garden over the next couple of months but that bunker is already "casting its spell"!!

post-13778-0-30884500-1403355728_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22494300-1403355733_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 6

Jeff,

It's really looking good and with the side entrance, the garage doors can stay shut - no doubt part of your plan. You and your brother must be getting really excited by now. Let's hope the handover goes smoothly and that your snagging list isn't too large once you've had a chance to take a good look round.

Kind regards,

Jock.

A few more views of Canal Road, before and after demolishing  -------------------------- What HAVE I done? 

The final shot is the 'yard' board with the 00 section sliced off.  I can now reach to the back without having to climb on my bench.

Canal Road is rising from the wreckage, however,  and with current thinking will be a terminus station, served by double track. It will require a bit more pointwork, some of which I have already built. 

Name KIRKBY MALHAM.  This is actually K-M mark 2.  The original, back in the late 1980's, was my exhibition layout, and hawked around the country in a succession of broken down old vans.  It survived and eventually went to a good home.  I have regretted selling it ever since, but my wife got a bit fed up of manhandling  it (should that be womanhandling?) out of the loft.  I must find some piccies  of mark1 and post them on here.

Derek

post-6110-0-15872700-1403376741_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-08146200-1403376776_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-21536700-1403376816_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-75157100-1403376849_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

To keep Jock happy, here's another couple of views.

Jock - yes, plenty to do in the garden over the next couple of months but that bunker is already "casting its spell"!!

attachicon.gifDSCF0537A.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0538A.jpg

Jeff

Mud Glorious Mud, Hot Coco and Wellies,

Mud Glorious Mud, no time to watch the two Tellies,

He's got a garden to do, then into the dennnn,

KL will be on his mind from now till thennn so its,

Mud Glorious Mud, up to his ankles in Autumn time,

Mud Glorious Mud we want pics of inside the Den,

Mud Glorious Mud he gets the keys on Wed Nes Day,

then is Mud Glorious Mud and more Mud on the way yaaaa.

Bodge. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• Like 3

Pleased to see that you are apparently back on form, Andy!

Are your eyes still reminiscent of a Chameleon? A sharp tap with a 4x2 may be the answer.....Aah, the joys of getting old, eh?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Pleased to see that you are apparently back on form, Andy!

Are your eyes still reminiscent of a Chameleon? A sharp tap with a 4x2 may be the answer.....Aah, the joys of getting old, eh?

Best, Pete.

Cheers Pete, yes looking here, there and everywhere, all at the same time. hhahahha.

If I still had my Guitar it would look like a Gibson SG Twin Neck, hhahha.

Ahaaa a bit of Led Zep coming on me thinks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Just catching up Jeff.

I thought that they had informed you there would be no such structure when I raised the possibility of such a wall, seems like ages back now.

Could it be reduced to waist height ?

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up Jeff.

I thought that they had informed you there would be no such structure when I raised the possibility of such a wall, seems like ages back now.

Could it be reduced to waist height ?

Scott

Yes, Scott. Good reminder. I haven't managed to get into the completed bunker yet - it was locked yesterday. But, as discussed on previous pages, the front pillar was a bit unexpected.

Keep watching this space later in the week and some pics will appear. Then some strategies will be apparent.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Mud Glorious Mud, Hot Coco and Wellies,

Mud Glorious Mud, no time to watch the two Tellies,

He's got a garden to do, then into the dennnn,

KL will be on his mind from now till thennn so its,

Mud Glorious Mud, up to his ankles in Autumn time,

Mud Glorious Mud we want pics of inside the Den,

Mud Glorious Mud he gets the keys on Wed Nes Day,

then is Mud Glorious Mud and more Mud on the way yaaaa.

Bodge. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Wow, just read this. The old Bodge is back. Great to see this, Andy. 

Must admit that I laughed at Pete's chameleon comment!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's a nice new 'canvas' for you Jeff.

Blank canvas indeed, Mike!

Always full of wonderful opportunities and potential....

As I've mentioned many times, building gardens from scratch is as big an interest of mine as railway modelling. At the risk of creating a "Lounge" post, here's my current garden, when I moved in (October 2001) and 2 weeks ago:

post-13778-0-92551700-1403434249_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51331700-1403434428_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 7

Hi Jeff hope all is ok the garden looks good are you going to put pics up of the garden at the new house hope you do I enjoy gardening when i can get the chance to.

The bunker looks good can't wait to see pics of kL. 

Andy its good to see you are getting better hope you do take it easy its not nice when people get ill and the recovery time is important.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff hope all is ok the garden looks good are you going to put pics up of the garden at the new house hope you do I enjoy gardening when i can get the chance to.

The bunker looks good can't wait to see pics of kL. 

Andy its good to see you are getting better hope you do take it easy its not nice when people get ill and the recovery time is important.

Mark, progress in the new garden will be documented in the Lounge - if people want to see what's going on.

Always happy to oblige!

Jeff

• Like 2

Would be very interested to follow progress in the new garden... quite a challenge but I'm sure you'll be up for it judging by what you've achieved in your current home.

......Stocktons' very own rival to Gertrude Jekyll :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Would be very interested to follow progress in the new garden... quite a challenge but I'm sure you'll be up for it judging by what you've achieved in your current home.

......Stocktons' very own rival to Gertrude Jekyll :mosking:

It looks like I'm now obliged to show progress in both the garden and the bunker, which I will do with pleasure!

Gertrude Jekyll? I'm fairly knowledgeable about my plants but don't adhere to Jekyllism..... I think I'm a follower of the late, great Geoff Hamilton. "If it pleases you, do it".

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very quiet on here. Come back Bodge, we need you!!

I was talking to a friend earlier and the dominance of the house move in my thoughts was well shown. It took me ages to remember where I'd stored my KL2 plans and then struggled to remember how I'd planned the L-girders and scenic sections.

Not good enough, Jeff. Pull your finger out!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Bit late with the accolades but that bunker looks superb, an ideal place to live while you convert the house in to KL2 on the ground floor and KL3 on the 1st!

Superb mate!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Bit late with the accolades but that bunker looks superb, an ideal place to live while you convert the house in to KL2 on the ground floor and KL3 on the 1st!

Superb mate!

Don't tempt me..... Expansion from the bunker is forbidden....

For NOW!  :angel:  :jester:

Jeff