Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

How did they get in the Bunker? :jester:

I remember 40 odd years ago on our new build when a low loader full of paving slabs turned up at 4 o,clock and all the builders had gone home at 3.30 :yahoo: :angel:

Yes Mick, it's amazing how those bricks ended up in the bunker. As well as the ones on the drive. I think I just picked the odd "one or two" up as I walked round the site.....

No intent on my part. Bit of a coincidence that I had my wheelbarrow with me at the time!  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

That sounds like a joke I know about a man who worked at a wheelbarrow factory...you know, the one where the punch line is that he left with a new wheelbarrow every day & sold them on the side...

James

Hi James,

That story translates to the docker who asked if he could have the straw left over from unloading the ship, only thing was he was pinching a new wheelbarrow every day with the straw in it!

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

That story translates to the docker who asked if he could have the straw left over from unloading the ship, only thing was he was pinching a new wheelbarrow every day with the straw in it!

Amazing! I didn't realise there was an entire sub-culture based around wheelbarrows! They are clearly more useful than I ever realised.

I will now start walking my wheelbarrow more often and see what I can pick up.....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Then of course there was the man walking across the building site pushing a wheelbarrow which was going

s q u e a k..........s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......

The foreman came up tp him and said, "You're fired!"

"Why?" said the man.

to which the foreman replied, because your wheelbarrow was going

s q u e a k..........s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......"

"What you are sacking me for a squeaky wheelbarrow?"

"No," replied the foreman, it should be going, squeaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueak!"

It's your own fault Jeff, if you started to build some kits we could comment on those.  :yes:

• Like 1

Then of course there was the man walking across the building site pushing a wheelbarrow which was going

s q u e a k..........s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......

The foreman came up tp him and said, "You're fired!"

"Why?" said the man.

to which the foreman replied, because your wheelbarrow was going

s q u e a k..........s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......s q u e a k......"

"What you are sacking me for a squeaky wheelbarrow?"

"No," replied the foreman, it should be going, squeaksqueaksqueaksqueaksqueak!"

It's your own fault Jeff, if you started to build some kits we could comment on those.  :yes:

Nice one Chris! Do you think Jeff will get the hint?

• Like 3

what about the guy's who worked on the S&C?  Some of their wheelbarrows probably got burned in a fit of rage, after the clay turned to soup and slid back into the workings...

And you thought there wasn't any _real_ KL content to be had from the wheelbarrow jokes !

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Boys, I'm overwhelmed - I hardly know what to say!

You are really earning your name of Lunesters at the moment.....

Anybody from outside (the "clan") will be wondering what the hell is going on!!

GREAT stuff, keep it up. Nice to see the latter days of the KL thread filled with random smatterings!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice one Chris! Do you think Jeff will get the hint?

Simple answer: NO.

I hope your going to put a building site on KL2 with a man in a BRIGHT GREEN MANAKIKIIKININI waking along with his wheelbarrow? :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

Bodge, (who else) :no:

Speaking of which..... No time for railway kits at the moment. There's bricklaying to be done.

Photos in the next day or two.

(Back greatly improved, GP told me to do some exercise....)

Jeff

• Like 5

Simple answer: NO.

Speaking of which..... No time for railway kits at the moment. There's bricklaying to be done.

Photos in the next day or two.

(Back greatly improved, GP told me to do some exercise....)

Jeff

So your GP's a masochist is he, OR is it a She and hates men? hahhahha.

Either way take it easy mate, we don't want you laid up again, we need the KL2 thread starting soon.

Well at least before me, hahah

Bodge

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So your GP's a masochist is he, OR is it a She and hates men? hahhahha.

Either way take it easy mate, we don't want you laid up again, we need the KL2 thread starting soon.

Well at least before me, hahah

Bodge

My GP is normally a "he", but this week was a "she". NO, not a case of a sex-change. My usual GP is on holiday and the young stand-in said I was up to scratch and should just get on with the digging. Providing I was sensible. Am I ever? Well, yes, this time I will be.

So I've done a few bits of work this week and I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Remember, the sooner Phase 1 of the garden gets done, the sooner I can start on the garage conversion.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So you are telling us that your doctor actually said 'You're fine; get back to carting around ten thousand bricks'?

That reminds me of when I severed my cruciate ligament, had two operations, two months in a full cast, another month on crutches and then did a few physio sessions. I asked the physio if I was ok to go cycling and he said that it was fine as cycling is a great exercise because you don't jar your joints, it's fluid motion.

One week later I was in the Alps on my downhill bike, hammering down a World Cup course. First run and going into the last section, my mate crashed into me going into a berm on a silly steep section, I went over the back of the berm and landed quite a way down the hill. For the rest of the holiday (two weeks), my knee was the size of a watermelon. I rode every day..... as hard and fast as I could :D

• Like 1

My GP is normally a "he", but this week was a "she". NO, not a case of a sex-change. My usual GP is on holiday and the young stand-in said I was up to scratch and should just get on with the digging. Providing I was sensible. Am I ever? Well, yes, this time I will be.

So I've done a few bits of work this week and I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Remember, the sooner Phase 1 of the garden gets done, the sooner I can start on the garage conversion.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

If you got your appointment quickly its because their not busy, so you doing your back in again will pay dividends for the practise! Oh, you do know why they call it a 'practise?' ......Their still practising to this day!

Cynical Mike

• Like 1

A bit of railway related chat guys...

Has anyone tried to get the wheels out of the latest Hornby 'Gresley' bogies? I was setting the B-Bs on my stock and have ended up with an array of bits that fall off. Moral...leave well alone!

• RMweb Premium

So you are telling us that your doctor actually said 'You're fine; get back to carting around ten thousand bricks'?

That reminds me of when I severed my cruciate ligament, had two operations, two months in a full cast, another month on crutches and then did a few physio sessions. I asked the physio if I was ok to go cycling and he said that it was fine as cycling is a great exercise because you don't jar your joints, it's fluid motion.

One week later I was in the Alps on my downhill bike, hammering down a World Cup course. First run and going into the last section, my mate crashed into me going into a berm on a silly steep section, I went over the back of the berm and landed quite a way down the hill. For the rest of the holiday (two weeks), my knee was the size of a watermelon. I rode every day..... as hard and fast as I could :D

Not quite. The conversation went like this....

"So, you silly bug*er, you've hurt your back have you? Your usual GP told me you were a plonker!"

"Erm, ...."

"Lifting heavy loads.... Well, you'll get no sympathy from me. How many bricks have you stashed away?"

"About 2000"

"Well, I suggest you stop feeling sorry for yourself and get out and dig a few trenches and do some bricklaying"

"Thanks"

"And btw, here's my private consultancy number. If you hurt yourself again I do personal sessions. £100 an hour"

" :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D"

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here are the pics I promised. Still a long, long way to go. This represents about 10% of the phase 1 structure I'm building. More when further progress is made!

post-13778-0-41563600-1407498022_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48994300-1407498028_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68190200-1407498032_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Nice pics Jeff, although I prefer curves as opposed to strait lines, I do have just one question here for you and that is; HOW DO WE KNOW YOU DID IT? There is no signs of blood, sweat or skin to prove that YOU actually got stuck in and did all that lovely work.

I'm sure once planted up it will look the dogs mate, if its as nice as I remember your last back garden from my visit it will be stunning.

Will you be having a pond in there anywhere?

Bodge.

• Like 1

Jeff, may I refer you to this posting, re timbers etc from Horrabridge and its wonderful baseboards.

post-9335-0-85349500-1407515289_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91345700-1407515293_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-99779100-1407515298_thumb.jpg

Posted Today, 13:02 by Mallard 60022

I must just tell you that looking back at that 'base board' construction technique has really given me great inspiration for my proposed work. I've been wondering for ages how I might accommodate cuttings and embankments in a lightweight fashion and without using excessive amounts of timber.

Is this the 'open frame' method so often talked about?

Phil.

BE INSPIRED. :O

Bodge

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

I've done a bit more in the garden this afternoon - just before the thunderstorms arrived. I enjoy building stuff, as you well know. My raised beds have usually been built from "stone" (Marshalls stuff), often curved. This time, because of the additional features - you'll see what I mean in 2-3 weeks - it was easier to build the thing as squares/rectangles. All will become clear!

No pond this time. Difficult to omit, but too many other features to include. A pond in the future would be a possibility.

Nice baseboards, by the way. Gets the saliva going!

Jeff

• Like 4

Jeff,

That is absolutely beautiful brickwork - do you line out each course or is it simply that you have a good eye for such things? My house is brick built but I think all the bricklayers were named 'Jerry'! Your efforts put them to shame.

Hope you won't be tempted to do too much, just remember to 'listen to your body' and take frequent breaks.

Look forward to the next episode of what is obviously a labour of love!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

It's a nice wall Jeff, but why did you not use English Garden Wall bond? It looks so much nicer than stretcher bond (stronger too!)

Andy g

• Like 1

Jeff, may I refer you to this posting, re timbers etc from Horrabridge and its wonderful baseboards.

attachicon.gifHorrabridge 1.jpg

attachicon.gifHorrabridge 2.jpg

attachicon.gifHorrabridge 3.jpg

Posted Today, 13:02 by Mallard 60022

I must just tell you that looking back at that 'base board' construction technique has really given me great inspiration for my proposed work. I've been wondering for ages how I might accommodate cuttings and embankments in a lightweight fashion and without using excessive amounts of timber.

Is this the 'open frame' method so often talked about?

Phil.

BE INSPIRED. :O

Bodge

Hi Andy,

To answer your question 'that is one way'. Basically the open frame concept is a usually a base structure which is set below the lowest level you want your scenic's then everything above, re; track, river, hills, valleys, roads are set from this base frame. take a look at Dent to see how I done mine. Only advice I would give is not to use MDF if you want it lightweight! Anything goes really as it all gets covered up anyway.

• RMweb Premium

It's a nice wall Jeff, but why did you not use English Garden Wall bond? It looks so much nicer than stretcher bond (stronger too!)

Andy g

Hi Andy,

I've built structures using English Garden Wall bond previously and I agree it is stronger than Stretcher as it has more cross-links. 

I've put some cross-links into my Stretcher - not many apparent in the photos I've shown. The reason I've built Stretcher is because I've matched the brick type and style to the main house.

Another 50 or so bricks on this morning and a bit more concrete in....

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

That is absolutely beautiful brickwork - do you line out each course or is it simply that you have a good eye for such things? My house is brick built but I think all the bricklayers were named 'Jerry'! Your efforts put them to shame.

Hope you won't be tempted to do too much, just remember to 'listen to your body' and take frequent breaks.

Look forward to the next episode of what is obviously a labour of love!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Cheers, Jock.

I find mixing mortar, concrete and bricklaying very relaxing. All the hand mixing (2.4 tonnes of concrete and 0.3t of mortar to date) is also good exercise. Taking it at a reasonable rate has really loosened my back up - and sorted out a stiff shoulder that's been pi**ing me off for the last 6 months!

I just use a length of string and some spare bricks to set the line. I've a multiplicity of levels to check the level. I used to level each block in turn when I was using much larger stone blocks. However, with bricks I tend to line about 6 at a time then knock 'em into level. Great fun!

Jeff

• Like 4