Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Mike - cheers. I'll probably wait until Jason organises something, then we'll descend on you together!

Mick, the land behind the house isn't likely to see any development for at least 2 years. The clay piles were flattened after I complained about the mess and the fact that anybody could sit on top of them and look over into the garden.

And you're right about the weather. Of the 113 days since I started the project, I've managed at least a couple of hours work - and sometimes a lot more - on 102 days. Amazing for the UK!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Mick, the land behind the house isn't likely to see any development for at least 2 years. The clay piles were flattened after I complained about the mess and the fact that anybody could sit on top of them and look over into the garden.

Jeff

I thought trainspotters were an extinct species :no:

• RMweb Premium

Mike - cheers. I'll probably wait until Jason organises something, then we'll descend on you together!

And you're right about the weather. Of the 113 days since I started the project, I've managed at least a couple of hours work - and sometimes a lot more - on 102 days. Amazing for the UK!!

Jeff

I think it is your health that is amazing you are only two years younger than me but you have done a lot of hard physical work day in day out for nearly 4 months. I am impressed and envious.

• Like 1

As long as it doesn't rain too much while I'm building the bases for the shed and greenhouse.... Forecast for this week isn't bad.

Jeff

Yes looks like you're in luck...another mostly dry week ahead.

Reminds me I need to get out for some exercise. Haven't had the walking boots on since we came back from Scotland at the beginning of October.

Looking at you garden.. I was wondering if you had any worries about transplanting at this time of year rather than waiting until spring?

Alan   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it is your health that is amazing you are only two years younger than me but you have done a lot of hard physical work day in day out for nearly 4 months. I am impressed and envious.

Cheers Mick. I keep touching wood!

I must admit that I have felt the strain over the last week or so. Building the "wedge" has meant a lot of concentrated concrete mixing over the last 6 days and, though fine when in the middle of it, I've felt stiff after sitting down for a while. I always do a series of "warm ups" before starting - moving piles of bricks, checking things over, making sure there's plenty of bending and flexing before the "hard stuff". Thank heavens for the circular saw when it comes to the bunker!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes looks like you're in luck...another mostly dry week ahead.

Reminds me I need to get out for some exercise. Haven't had the walking boots on since we came back from Scotland at the beginning of October.

Looking at you garden.. I was wondering if you had any worries about transplanting at this time of year rather than waiting until spring?

Alan   

Hopefully a chance to get more work done, agreed.

As for transplanting. Good question. 25 years ago I'd not have done it at this time of the year. November ALWAYS seemed to be cold and there was often snow in the air. Now, it's ridiculously mild and the soil hasn't really cooled down. I think the plants would prefer to be in warmish soil than overwintering in their buckets. It was also surprising how many smallish plants, taken from the old garden, were root bound - so I'm sure they'll love the good soil they're in.

Amazing how many dahlias are still in bloom!

Eh, thil be callin' mi Percy Thrower nixt!!

Jeff

• Like 5

Morning Jeff,

I can't believe the speed at which your thread has advanced in the last few days - I haven't been able to spend much time on RMweb and missed three pages of action! Apologies for that.

Really admire the latest effort - something I'd have done without a problem in my forties and fifties, but sadly I struggle to lift myself out of bed in the morning, let alone lift a 1cwt bag of cement as I used to! Still, the bright side is that I'm still here to grumble about it!

Can't believe how well your body is standing up to the rigours, considering that you were lying on the floor with an injured back not that long ago!!

Now that we appear to be off the hook as far as the sausage saga is concerned, I wanted to record the fact that I did make an effort to turn it back to railway matters on several occasions - one such post relating to access! Are you still considering a 'duck under' access to the KL2 layout? I much prefer the lift out section idea, and was glad to see that Andy has adopted it for 'Bitton'. I recommended it having seen how 'Big Jim' of this parish did his in the thread on his 'New shed layout'. Gates and hinged sections make it really difficult to disguise the scenic break, especially if the terrain is high as in the area you are modelling.

Really looking forward to the start of work on the bunker - I'm fully prepared to be inspired!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock. I only hope the KL2 thread will advance - in what is achieved practically - once it is finally able to start. I must apologise as it probably seems I'm stringing things out. Not the case. Until the "sheds" are fitted there's no chance of any progress in the garage.

As for lift-up sections. I'm glad Andy has done this and I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately, with a bridge at one end, viaduct at the other, Fell almost to the ceiling and the open board nature (valley bottom to top will be about 4 feet) there's nowhere I can fit one in. Things are always compromises, aren't they!!?

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a good chat with Jason last night about KL2, track building and kits. I'm keen to build a few wagons and Jason wants to get me addicted. Accordingly, he's acquiring a few Parkside kits for me when he's at Warley and - hopefully - on my next visit to Bacup I'll be "hooked".

It'll make a change from concrete and bricks. The "wedge" is now complete and I'll try and do the greenhouse base in one session tomorrow. Pics for Jock as and when I get them!

Jeff

• Like 5

I had a good chat with Jason last night about KL2, track building and kits. I'm keen to build a few wagons and Jason wants to get me addicted. Accordingly, he's acquiring a few Parkside kits for me when he's at Warley and - hopefully - on my next visit to Bacup I'll be "hooked".

It'll make a change from concrete and bricks. The "wedge" is now complete and I'll try and do the greenhouse base in one session tomorrow. Pics for Jock as and when I get them!

Jeff

HEY MISTER JEFF, don't forget Sir Bodge & myself also like, sorry, LOVE pics, the more the merrier.

Seriously though, it's good to see the garden coming along very nicely and like everyone else I'm really looking forward to KL2 starting soon.

Keep up the excellent work.

Chip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock. I only hope the KL2 thread will advance - in what is achieved practically - once it is finally able to start. I must apologise as it probably seems I'm stringing things out. Not the case. Until the "sheds" are fitted there's no chance of any progress in the garage.

As for lift-up sections. I'm glad Andy has done this and I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately, with a bridge at one end, viaduct at the other, Fell almost to the ceiling and the open board nature (valley bottom to top will be about 4 feet) there's nowhere I can fit one in. Things are always compromises, aren't they!!?

Jeff

If the scenery will be so tall it maybe possible to remove the base section of scenery and have a walk under leaving the top section in place. Try drawing it as a cross section and see if the height works out right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the suggestion, Mick, but there will be a fairly extensive fiddle yard to the rear of the Fell. The plan - I've shown it previously - shows the idea.

post-13778-0-17434300-1416338414_thumb.jpg

I COULD probably come up with some kind of Heath-Robinson solution - an elevator OVER the Fell? - but the height variation and track constraints will already be complicated enough.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

HEY MISTER JEFF, don't forget Sir Bodge & myself also like, sorry, LOVE pics, the more the merrier.

Seriously though, it's good to see the garden coming along very nicely and like everyone else I'm really looking forward to KL2 starting soon.

Keep up the excellent work.

Chip.

Hi Chip. Long time no hear. I'll keep garden pics coming, and as soon as I can get the bunker going you'll be swimming in photos!!

Yeah you, I want pics toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. hhahahhaha

Of the baseboards, hhahahhahaha

Ooooh, err. What kind of pics were you thinking..... Mankini Man strikes back? Julia on the Fell.

Jeff

• Like 2

Ooooh a track plan, Still follow your progress Jeff, but had to comment on the trackplan. Looks good, I like the idea of cassette input roads. No limit to the amount of stock you can have. Plenty of room for all those Parkside wagon kits Jason is going to get you to build. I have built a few over the years, they are great fun. It's my default setting, anytime I am bored of the layout or other stock I find a kit to build. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter. Glad to see you are still looking in. I remember the early days of KL when you said you were waiting for a 9F to go over the viaduct. Seems a long time ago now - even if it was around March 2013!!!

The plan is fairly accurate in terms of features in the scenic section. The fiddle yard is illustrative, as Anyrail doesn't do Marcway geometry. But the cassette idea will be in there somewhere. Jason has used it effectively on Bacup and Gilbert has dozens of cassettes ready for use on Peterborough North. I was impressed by the idea - very flexible - in addition to the conventional yard arrangement.

Looking forward to building some kits. Even if they turn out crap, who's to notice once they're weathered - as long as they run! Concrete/bricks seems to be my standby at the moment. Just come in to dodge a November shower.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff how's kl2 going. It's been a while since I have been on here ( been busy) hope all is well how is the garden doing

Mark

Hi Mark.

You haven't missed any of the "action" - KL2 wise! I've been busy (still am) preparing the site for the installation of my "sheds" - 2 are being fitted on the 4th December.

Just having my first coffee of the day - I drink too much of the stuff - in preparation for more messing with cement, sand and aggregate!

Have fun in the signalbox!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An update on the "shed" and garden situation, as both relate to when KL2 will commence.

The sheds are being fitted on the 4th December and the greenhouse shortly after. In the meantime, concrete wedges have been completed and part of phase 2 (due Spring 2015) is now well underway. I can't do anything for at least a fortnight, so why waste time?

A couple of pics. The work on the second one will become clear by the middle of next week, weather allowing!

post-13778-0-07946000-1416668508_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03305000-1416668517_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I've got young Jason coming down next Friday, I thought you might have tagged along, hahahhahh

Hi Andy.

Jason rang to ask if I was able to come down next week. Unfortunately it was one of those weekends - there aren't very many - where I've already arranged to go out/visitors (not very exciting) calling in.... I'd be a perahia if I was evasive and let my brother deal with the relatives!

It was one year ago today - Fri, 22nd Nov, 2013 - when Jason came up to see KL. Which means the 25th was when you called in - Last Post and all. I really wish I could get down to see you. Next time, hopefully, if you don't tell me to s*d off!! 

Jeff

• Like 2