Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Of course it's cheese! That was one of the main conclusions of the Apollo missions:

Do you remember the news reports a few months ago about all the moon rock that's gone missing?

Now we know..... it's been eaten...

Edited by 60091

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong end of the telescope.

Having spent enough time out of doors in the dark I got to really understand the phases of the moon it is quite simple  a young moon go to bed soon after dark just like a kid. A mature full moon gets up as the sun goes down and to bed as it rises like a shift worker. An old moon does get up until late at night and then cannot go to sleep until some time in the morning.  A new moon hides in the daylight.

Jeff no need to apologise for preferring to get your garden done first. It is your choice mate.

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong end of the telescope.

Having spent enough time out of doors in the dark I got to really understand the phases of the moon it is quite simple  a young moon go to bed soon after dark just like a kid. A mature full moon gets up as the sun goes down and to bed as it rises like a shift worker. An old moon does get up until late at night and then cannot go to sleep until some time in the morning.  A new moon hides in the daylight.

Jeff no need to apologise for preferring to get your garden done first. It is your choice mate.

Don

That's a new one on me - I like it!

Don, as you'll have gathered, I love building and I love garden work. I really had no choice with the new house. The garden had to be sorted, especially with the benevolent weather over the last few months. I DO feel a bit guilty as you will also know how much I love building model railways. I suppose it's nice to have so many exciting pastimes/hobbies - astronomy included in there.

Jeff

As for telescopes, I had one given to me by my late best mate's wife and I can see NOTHING out of it because I don't have the slightest idea how it works, sad really in both respects.

Post a photo of it Mike.

Edit: In the Lounge would be best.

Edited by Donington Road

Post a photo of it Mike.

Edit: In the Lounge would be best.

Hi Mick,

Thanks I will............but its in the cupboard at the back............could that be the problem I wonder?

I'll dig it out after the hol's if that's okay.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Thanks I will............but its in the cupboard at the back............could that be the problem I wonder?

I'll dig it out after the hol's if that's okay.

Sounds like a good idea, Mike. Let's have a look at what you're using and we may be able to tell you what you're doing "wrong"!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Sat in my study, laptop in front of me, looking at photos from the KL build.

It's pi**ing down outside, with a bit of sleet, and further garden work seems a pipe dream. Unless I wrap up like Roald Amundsen!

If only the original shed plan had proceeded - I could have been clearing the bunker by now - even if it is 4C in there at the mo. I currently look at Bodge's little hidey-hole with envy!!  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 2

Sat in my study, laptop in front of me, looking at photos from the KL build.

It's pi**ing down outside, with a bit of sleet, and further garden work seems a pipe dream. Unless I wrap up like Roald Amundsen!

If only the original shed plan had proceeded - I could have been clearing the bunker by now - even if it is 4C in there at the mo. I currently look at Bodge's little hidey-hole with envy!!  :D  :D

Jeff

I usually create a space around me, work forward and then the space behind gets filled up again :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, 

Just get a skip and toss the lot in from undercover, result - clear garage, erm ....... don't tell your Brother though!

I've been lucky enough - so far - to have nothing built to the rear or side of me. A few tons of clay and other rubbish have been hurled over the fence over the last 4 months. However, I think my brother might notice if the spare fridge, washing machine, dining table etc suddenly disappeared! Some of those items might be a bit heavy to chuck over the fence, too!

Hoping to get some more brickwork done tomorrow. And the site manager has offered me a "small number" of additional bricks, for free. Christmas come early!

Jeff

• Like 7

I've been lucky enough - so far - to have nothing built to the rear or side of me. A few tons of clay and other rubbish have been hurled over the fence over the last 4 months. However, I think my brother might notice if the spare fridge, washing machine, dining table etc suddenly disappeared! Some of those items might be a bit heavy to chuck over the fence, too!

Hoping to get some more brickwork done tomorrow. And the site manager has offered me a "small number" of additional bricks, for free. Christmas come early!

Jeff

That looks like some substantial funding for KL2 :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks like some substantial funding for KL2 :jester:

My "sponsor" has already saved me a few quid with previous donations. Every 100 bricks is a few sheets of 8' x 4' ply or several 5m lengths of 4" x 2" (not the crazy mix of units in that last sentence!)

Jeff

Jeff

Surely you're not still laying bricks!. I thought the recent, almost freezing, temperatures would have ruined the cement?

I was out riding around on trains yesterday... and it was snowing down your way. Got as far as Nunthorpe. What a lovely location - passing loop on single track branch, original station building, signal box and semaphores. Only missing a siding or two for it to be a nice little "modern image" layout.

Alan

• Like 2

Surely you're not still laying bricks!. I thought the recent, almost freezing, temperatures would have ruined the cement?

I was out riding around on trains yesterday... and it was snowing down your way. Got as far as Nunthorpe. What a lovely location - passing loop on single track branch, original station building, signal box and semaphores. Only missing a siding or two for it to be a nice little "modern image" layout.

Alan

He's trying hard to affect the balance of the Universe, and wants us all to be Down Under, hahhahah

EDIT = Or worse still.

SINK

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Alan

Yep, still laying bricks. "ill post a couple of pics later. Just come in from a couple of hours of trench digging, followed by concrete. 3C in the garden, sunny, blue sky and - most importantly - no wind.

The bricklayers on the site are still building. The mortar mix I use (fairly strong: 1 cement to 3 soft sand) takes a bit longer to set, but is still rock hard after 2 days.

Nunthorpe is indeed a nice place. Very expensive place to live, too. The house I'm living in is being sold at twice the price in Nunthorpe.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He's trying hard to affect the balance of the Universe, and wants us all to be Down Under, hahhahah

EDIT = Or worse still.

SINK

Yes, trying to unbalance the Earth by constructing a gazillion ton brick structure on one side of the northern hemisphere!

They don't call me Dr Evil for nothing.... heeheeeheee!  :superman:  :superman:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Since we know Jock, Chip and Andy like photos, here's a couple from the last 2 days.

And it's only 10 days until the big "shed" is installed - AND some garage sorting has begun....

post-13778-0-76701100-1418481375_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-57784500-1418481384_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Garage sorting.......

Shed on the way.....

Have you ordered the 6x4 timber to support the fell, or is that too small?

Answers: Yes and Yes.

Specially thick California Redwood-sourced timber is on the way....  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

oh, blankety blank blank blank...that's why there were more 20 wheeler's driving with old growth douglas fir on the road.  !

14872636418_d18f13689b_q.jpgDSC_0006 by Peach James, on Flickr

Just to make Jeff's 12x24's or whatever he has determined are the appropriate sized beams.  Nothing less than a 12x12, I am sure !

James

Bug*er!! That was supposed to be carried out in secret!

Cheers James.

Jeff

Nunthorpe is indeed a nice place. Very expensive place to live, too. The house I'm living in is being sold at twice the price in Nunthorpe.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

It's years since I was on the Whitby branch and I was supprised at how quickly urban Middlesbrough was left behind. Nunthorpe did seem very nice although I didn't get beyond the platform.

It was either a 10 minute visit (back on same train) or wait 1 hour.

My usual run is along the Saltburn branch where I also took a lot of photographs several years ago. That line is urban grot all the way to Redcar. I'm sure photographing around South Bank and Grangetown for a few hours takes several years off life expectancy..! That area is definitely not covered by any clean air legislation...

Alan...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

It's years since I was on the Whitby branch and I was supprised at how quickly urban Middlesbrough was left behind. Nunthorpe did seem very nice although I didn't get beyond the platform.

It was either a 10 minute visit (back on same train) or wait 1 hour.

My usual run is along the Saltburn branch where I also took a lot of photographs several years ago. That line is urban grot all the way to Redcar. I'm sure photographing around South Bank and Grangetown for a few hours takes several years off life expectancy..! That area is definitely not covered by any clean air legislation...

Alan...

The last two places wouldn't be in my top 1000 areas of scenic beauty or environmental cleanliness!

Funny thing, though. As you mentioned, within just a few minutes - if you head in the right direction (preferably south) - the Teesside sprawl is left behind. There is some stunning scenery within 10 miles of Boro.

Jeff

Early good morning Jeff,

I'm staying up in the hope that I'll 'bag' some 'Geminids' tonight with the peak activity expected in a couple of hours!

At this rate, you'll soon have a bridge to the bunker! Good looking work as ever mate.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1