Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I've been asked what was the rationale behind the seemingly odd collection of baseboard shapes on the previous diagram... I could say it was because I enjoy using my new jigsaw to cut the plywood - but that's not true.

In fact, I've tried to ensure that all the major turnout "connurbations" are in the middle of a board section. The fiddle yard in particular! Of course, positions of the main section may be displaced a little when I fit the SMP rather than the Peco, though the fiddle yard (still Peco) should be ok.

Hope that clarifies things.

Jeff

• Like 2

HI Jeff,

Progress indeed since I last looked, would have looked and posted earlier, but there's no wifi in North Tees !

I've located a couple of lengths of SMP track to 'get the ball rolling' which i can drop round if you like.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Go on, get those lengths dropped round :jester:

I reckon Jeff will be fizzing once he sees some SMP on those luxurious boards....

Cheers 'Chard!

I think I'll be frothing at the mouth...and getting frustrated that I have to wait a while longer before I order the bulk of the track.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

HI Jeff,

Progress indeed since I last looked, would have looked and posted earlier, but there's no wifi in North Tees !

I've located a couple of lengths of SMP track to 'get the ball rolling' which i can drop round if you like.

Al

Hi Al,

Would love to see you to discuss progress - and you can have a tour of the "bunker". I'm busy 'til the end of next week with school-related stuff, but after 6th July I will be clear!

So choose a date and text it through - and we can progress. Btw, if you want to demo your Templot skills...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Baseboard tops cut.

Baseboards to sit on risers and a fair amount of the boards will be cut away to allow "open board" advantage.

Here's a few more more photos...

Jeff

post-13778-0-57098900-1340731733_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-69414100-1340731754_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-75071800-1340731840_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jeff,

The speed at which you're progressing is really impressive - and the baseboards are hardly a half-hearted affair!

There has been something niggling me about your track plan, and I've just put my finger on what it is. On the left-hand side of the plan, the double track goes through two straight sections separated by a curve - the real railway wouldn't be built this way, so would it be possible to make this one sweeping curve?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Although a curved viaduct may look more attractive, I could fully understand if the track geometry is this way to allow you to build a straight viaduct! I hope this doesn't sound critical; it was just one of those 'speak now or forever hold your peace' moments before it's too late to change the plan.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

The speed at which you're progressing is really impressive - and the baseboards are hardly a half-hearted affair!

There has been something niggling me about your track plan, and I've just put my finger on what it is. On the left-hand side of the plan, the double track goes through two straight sections separated by a curve - the real railway wouldn't be built this way, so would it be possible to make this one sweeping curve?

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Although a curved viaduct may look more attractive, I could fully understand if the track geometry is this way to allow you to build a straight viaduct! I hope this doesn't sound critical; it was just one of those 'speak now or forever hold your peace' moments before it's too late to change the plan.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks very much Will. No problems - I would rather people discuss ideas on this thread because I'm no expert and I'm certainly likely to miss things.

The straight bit on the extreme left is hardly visible in reality as it leads into the hillside. And there is a staight viaduct planned - at the moment...don't tempt me, I'm fighting the urge to build a curved one (the urge has been winning for a month or so!!).

I've attached a pic showing the approximate position of the hill...

Please keep commenting. MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-23027400-1340736981_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff, your woodworking, and rate of progress puts mine to shame. On the subject of point motors, you may want to look at micro servos. (available from Chinese EBay stores for next to nothing) and look at Tam Valley Depot for the contol systems and installing.

Regards

m

Michael

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, your woodworking, and rate of progress puts mine to shame. On the subject of point motors, you may want to look at micro servos. (available from Chinese EBay stores for next to nothing) and look at Tam Valley Depot for the contol systems and installing.

Regards

m

Michael

Thanks for the info Mike. My woodworking is adequate for the job, but I'm sure my photographs conceal a lot of not-quite-so-good-joinery!!

I've been clambering around on top of the frame today, and it felt rigid, so as long as it works......!!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Jeff!

As said already - the woodwork is impressive, and done at quite a fast pace too. I bet you are itching to get some track down and run a few trains!

I bet even the longest train you plan to run would look pretty lost on a layout of this size. I can't wait till you start the major landforms. Sorry if I missed this, but what do you plan to use for the landforms themselves? I've always stuck with builders insulation (since I can often get some from my dad's job!), but I know it is a very expensive option - a full sheet costs about £70 for the really thick stuff!

• RMweb Premium

Looking really good Jeff!

As said already - the woodwork is impressive, and done at quite a fast pace too. I bet you are itching to get some track down and run a few trains!

I bet even the longest train you plan to run would look pretty lost on a layout of this size. I can't wait till you start the major landforms. Sorry if I missed this, but what do you plan to use for the landforms themselves? I've always stuck with builders insulation (since I can often get some from my dad's job!), but I know it is a very expensive option - a full sheet costs about £70 for the really thick stuff!

Evening Jam,

I build my hillsides using MDF/ply and wood formers that I construct (since I like playing with wood) to carry the hillside and leave space behind (in this case, for the fiddle yard).

The frame is then covered with plaster bandage/modroc and the usual scenics added...

Here are a couple of pics from my existing layout (its days are numbered...the skip awaits!).

Jeff

post-13778-0-82598300-1340741610_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-31301700-1340741641_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, i was just wondering, When you put the back scenes in are you planning on curving them in the corners to avoid 'corners in the sky' ?

Al

Hi Al,

Interesting you asked that, as that's what Iain Rice always suggests. I may try and bend 2mm or 3mm MDF onto a framework fixed on the wall. Never tried it before, but worth a go.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Interesting, thanks for that Jeff, That's a similar system to the one I used on Calshot but with the polystyrene blocks in between the uprisers. Strong and lightweight!

BTW, I've never used it myself, but others have for backscenes on their layouts:

http://www.pbplywood.co.uk/images/P/Bendy%20MDF.jpg

I'd definitely curve the backscene - looks so much better.

• RMweb Premium

Jam, thanks. I've got a lot of backscene to produce and the corners could be interesting. I will have to come up with a workable scheme in the near future. Part of the fun though, isn't it - always challenges to consider.

Jeff

Thanks for your response on the straight viaduct etc. - this makes perfect sense and I should have worked it out for myself! Wouldn't a curved viaduct be nice, though? He he he...

Lovely scenery on your old layout too; I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the new layout.

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your response on the straight viaduct etc. - this makes perfect sense and I should have worked it out for myself! Wouldn't a curved viaduct be nice, though? He he he...

Lovely scenery on your old layout too; I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the new layout.

Cheers,

Will

I'd considered a curved viaduct a few times - and rejected the idea every time. Must admit it would look impressive - and I fancy yet another challenge. So - watch this space!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

If it's any consolation I've got a curved viaduct/bridge to build as well.

I agree it would improve the flow of the trackwork and would look pretty impressive too.

I'm hoping to start work on two of the bridges in the near future - both of which will use modelling clay (but in different ways).

• RMweb Premium

If it's any consolation I've got a curved viaduct/bridge to build as well.

I agree it would improve the flow of the trackwork and would look pretty impressive too.

I'm hoping to start work on two of the bridges in the near future - both of which will use modelling clay (but in different ways).

I once tried buiding a structure (no, not the cork one you've seen!) using polyfilla on an MDF frame. It didn't look very good when I scribed it. However, as for Dave Shakespeare (he of Tetley's Mills fame), I would consider using DAS - if I can get a decent supply. I'm not worried about building the curved structure - will be tricky - but it's the covering - plasticard, clay etc etc that worries me.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The most difficult thing will be scribing the stonework on a curved surface but still keeping it all level.

I tend to scribe after the clay has dried, however, I reckon it would be wise to use some sort of thin metal straight edge and press it into the surface whilst the clay is still wet to at least set up guidelines for scribing when the clay has dried. PVA is my preferred medium for applying DAS. Hobbycraft sell DAS (although knowing them I expect it is one of the more expensive options). I even saw the stuff in our local stationers shop.

Thanks 'CHARD.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it, though I know it'll be a bit tricky. But - who cares!! :no:

Jeff

I'm quite a way on with my version of Stobs. It takes time, but it's worth the effort I reckon. The curve gives an extra sense of presence somehow.