RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

• RMweb Premium

Simple question - I suggest you look at the plan in post 890...

The "scenic break" in the lower right hand corner is a tunnel into the hillside - this takes the mainline out of view. Having decided to bring the branchline out from the fiddle yard in a similar area, would it be prototypical to have all 3 lines emerge from one tunnel - as constructing 2 tunnels in a similar area would be expensive?

Any thoughts? The only problem with using one tunnel would be a tighter radius to get the branch into the fiddle yard.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

The "scenic break" in the lower right hand corner is a tunnel into the hillside - this takes the mainline out of view. Having decided to bring the branchline out from the fiddle yard in a similar area, would it be prototypical to have all 3 lines emerge from one tunnel - as constructing 2 tunnels in a similar area would be expensive?

Any thoughts? The only problem with using one tunnel would be a tighter radius to get the branch into the fiddle yard.

Jeff

Triple track tunnels 'out in the country' were pretty rare beasts (possibly even on a par with hens' teeth in the rarity stakes?) And no doubt we will now be deluged with a list - but none of them will be between Settle Jcn and Petteril Bridge Jcn ;)

• RMweb Premium

Triple track tunnels 'out in the country' were pretty rare beasts (possibly even on a par with hens' teeth in the rarity stakes?) And no doubt we will now be deluged with a list - but none of them will be between Settle Jcn and Petteril Bridge Jcn ;)

Fair enough Mike. Believe it or not, that was the answer I wanted to hear! It means I can justify 2 tunnels and maintain a larger radius curve on the branch as it leaves the fiddle yard.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

What about something like this

Hi Peter. I like your idea. The problem I have is that I've very little space for the hillside that goes over the fiddle yard, and I need to avoid it becoming precipitous! At the viaduct end, the hillside will rise about 50cm above the board with a front area around 70cm deep. At the other end - where the tunnels I'm referring to "live", the hillside rises ~ 40cm but I've only got 40cm of depth to play with. It's the tightest part of the layout and I wish it wasn't!

I hope you don't think I'm being dismissive of your ideas. You persuaded me to have the branch run-around-loop and the goods loop/siding was also a good idea - and easier to implement than the quarry.

We are always questing for more space!!

Jeff

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Easy answer as to why you (& the prototype!) would not build a triple track tunnel (in this instance!).

The mainlines go one way, the branch goes a different route (& on a different grade?)

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Jeff

Morning Jeff, Late nights and early mornings, is this one benefit of being retired - less sleep required?

As with the two viaducts. I doubt the company (Midland) would have built a tunnel to take three lines. The branch junction would have come off at the other end of the tunnel surely? (don't call me Shirley) Is it possible that the branch was built after the main line so as to tap into the local mineral wealth and a market town that otherwise would not have had a railway? So a new tunnel was required as it would come out at a different place from the main line. While they would start in the same vacinity their other ends could be several hundred yards apart and at different elevations?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, Late nights and early mornings, is this one benefit of being retired - less sleep required?

As with the two viaducts. I doubt the company (Midland) would have built a tunnel to take three lines. The branch junction would have come off at the other end of the tunnel surely? (don't call me Shirley) Is it possible that the branch was built after the main line so as to tap into the local mineral wealth and a market town that otherwise would not have had a railway? So a new tunnel was required as it would come out at a different place from the main line. While they would start in the same vacinity their other ends could be several hundred yards apart and at different elevations?

Not so sure about late nights, but early mornings, definitely!

Thanks to both you and John for the clarity of thought. I didn't imagine building a triple tunnel but it's always better to check on here than to be pulled up short after the event. A separate tunnel will remain, justified by your comments. It's a pity I didn't have the space, as I quite like Peter's suggestion of a quarry line.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok, you are allowed to make witty comments...

The baseboard top is now at 110cm above ground level. Not bad if you are a 6-footer, but I'm 5'6". So I've just built a 60cm x 60cm frame to stand on, which lifts me up by 12cm ... very helpful for the vertically challenged!

Now to go and work out where this damned Branch line goes!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ok, you are allowed to make witty comments...

The baseboard top is now at 110cm above ground level. Not bad if you are a 6-footer, but I'm 5'6". So I've just built a 60cm x 60cm frame to stand on, which lifts me up by 12cm ... very helpful for the vertically challenged!

Now to go and work out where this damned Branch line goes!

Jeff

Blooming 'eck Jeff, metric and imperial units in the same post. We had some frames made for Ormesby Hall so the little'uns could watch the trains go by.

• RMweb Premium

Blooming 'eck Jeff, metric and imperial units in the same post. We had some frames made for Ormesby Hall so the little'uns could watch the trains go by.

It's to show that I am fully conversant in different measurement systems! Lol! Funny how 6' sounds taller than 1.83m.

The frame has just been used for the first time - to raise me up to put some screws in. Very good. I might even make it 5cm taller.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Or, you could pop your high heels on ;)

Hey! Less of that!! How do you know about my high heels? :O (I did have cowboy boots back in the 70s!!)...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

He, he! That's nothin'!!!

My little Continental layout is on a shelf in wifeys big shed (that used to be mine!) and it's at a height of about 5' dead!

So, being only 5'8"ish, I built a platform of about 6" high, it helps but hey, couldn't we all do with a couple of extra inches!?! :blush:

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

He, he! That's nothin'!!!

My little Continental layout is on a shelf in wifeys big shed (that used to be mine!) and it's at a height of about 5' dead!

So, being only 5'8"ish, I built a platform of about 6" high, it helps but hey, couldn't we all do with a couple of extra inches!?! :blush:

Cheers,

John E.

John, we could indeed! Glad to know I'm not the only one with height problems. Having said that, they do say that eye-level layouts give the best viewing experience.

I can reach over most of the baseboards and with the strength of the risers I can climb on top of the boards when I lay the track - if necessary.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Depends where the inches are John.....

Now I wasn't going to mention that, this being a clean thread and all that... :angel:

While I'm posting, I may as well say that the Branch line to fiddle yard is all marked out. 30" to 48" radius, quite pleasing.

I'll just sort out the fiddle yard to viaduct link, then tracklaying will commence... only 2 weeks after I'd planned, owing to the branch viaduct removal/riser building.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Anyway Jeff, how about an update? Are all boards securely down now?

In some ways, I am more interested in the progress of your layout than my own; you'll probably have trains actually running before I do :)

• RMweb Premium

Scott, yes - I'm alone in the bunker! No naked flames. Come to think of it, no naked anything!! Lol.

Right Jason, here is the current state-of-play...

All the risers are fitted and all baseboards are sat on them, near as dammit level. I think two of the larger boards are 3mm out over a 2m length - I can live with gradients of less than 1 in 500!!

I've fixed some of the smaller boards down using 40mm and 75mm screws. They aint gonna move anytime soon! The larger boards - station area and fiddle yard aren't screwed down - yet - but can't move anywhere as they are "board-locked" by the fixed ones around them. The rationale being that I can lay track on the main board and lift it up if I need to fiddle with wiring. However, all will have to be fixed down shortly.

I've spent 2 hours this evening glueing more cork down to accommodate the path of the Branch line.

I'll spend tomorrow working out the detailed link from fiddle yard to viaduct. Then there are no excuses. I start laying track.

I've got 19 Cobalts - enough for the main area. I will need to order another double slip to allow the Branch run-around. Otherwise, I'm sorted.

So there you have it. We'll see how it goes!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, it's very quiet on here today! Not surprising, given my procrastination.... I AM getting there - honest.

Probably away for a couple of days, but just bought some more Evostik to fix more cork tiles - at the viaduct end of the fiddle-yard - down.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff, I have the answer to your perpetual viaduct problem, :no: You start by removing all the timber from the Bunker, :O Next ou sell all your current stock, :sungum: and lastly you BUY MY LOCH LEVEN and start again with some form of SANITY, ha ha hahhhhhooooo :O MERRY CHRISTSMAS.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the laugh Andy! I have to admit, I don't think I CAN remove all the timber from the bunker. And if I did, I could set up a shop with more stock than B&Q! As for the screws - gazillions of them!

Anyway, track starts to go down next week. I remember you asking me if I'd be doing that in July!

Keep me posted with the Loch Leven sale. Maybe you could be Santa Andy and give it away for Christmas? Only 74 days to go...Lol. :O

Jeff