Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

SEVENTY FOUR DAYS is that sad or what :jester: I thought it was only SWMBO who kept a check on Christmas :O

You mean you haven't got your Advent Calendar yet? Shame on you, they've been on the shelves in our Tesco since the 'Back To School' stuff was cleared away and they will have the Easter Eggs delivered in the lull as the shop's warehouse is emptied with the final shelf stacking for New Year.

• RMweb Premium

SEVENTY FOUR DAYS is that sad or what :jester: I thought it was only SWMBO who kept a check on Christmas :O

I've already given out my wish lists for Christmas - railway gear being the main feature!

On another matter, Andy, I've been fixing down parts of some of the baseboards that weren't fixed yesterday. It's going to be quite a job wiring all the points, but easier if done in situ.

I meant to ask you what type and size ballast you generally use on your layouts. I've found a 4:1 N/OO blend looks good - straight OO is too coarse.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You mean you haven't got your Advent Calendar yet? Shame on you, they've been on the shelves in our Tesco since the 'Back To School' stuff was cleared away and they will have the Easter Eggs delivered in the lull as the shop's warehouse is emptied with the final shelf stacking for New Year.

Mike, one of the most annoying things over the summer was "Back to School" starting BEFORE the kids had even started their summer holiday! A cashier at Morrisons jokingly said to me, last week, that the jingles would soon be starting and the Easter Eggs would be arriving shortly.

I'm having a couple of days out of the bunker. Need to recharge before I start my tracklaying sojourn. Soldering iron, solder, cable, drills all prepped and at the ready!

Have a good time at the Farnham show!

Jeff

• Like 1

I've already given out my wish lists for Christmas - railway gear being the main feature!

On another matter, Andy, I've been fixing down parts of some of the baseboards that weren't fixed yesterday. It's going to be quite a job wiring all the points, but easier if done in situ.

I meant to ask you what type and size ballast you generally use on your layouts. I've found a 4:1 N/OO blend looks good - straight OO is too coarse.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I generally use Geosecenics fine grey or a off cream colour (poss N gauge) and for yards I use sand, bucket and spade holiday jobbie, and then weather as required, Andy.

• RMweb Premium

I use Carrs N gauge ballast; I think it is cork-based or something like that, lovely stuff to use. On the iPad at the moment but will ping you the link to their website in the morning (I think it is www.finescale.org)

Edit: yep, Carrs 2mm - http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=58#ballast

I know that real ballast IS stone but you don't want it to set like stone when glued. I would use nothing else now.

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers lads!

Sorry for the delay. Despite saying I wasn't going to do any more, I found myself in the bunker sticking cork down in the fiddle-yard area. I'm very pleased with the way this is going. I hope the tracklaying will be as easy!

I'll have a look at the stuff you suggest. I've always used Woodland Scenics ballast, so the Carrs is new to me. Andy - I think quite a lot of people use sand these days - I'll look up Geoscenics too.

Apologies if there aren't many posts in the next 2 days - in this thread in particular as I'll not be here. I'll keep an eye on what you guys are getting upto, though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I've written this here rather than clutter-up Gordon's thread. I know you are eagle-eyed and will spot this within seconds of posting!!

So my question is: can you recommend an accessible, straightforward guide to signalling. Articles in magazines tend to be rubbish. I just want to know which semaphores to use, in singles or combinations, and where to place them.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Mike, I've written this here rather than clutter-up Gordon's thread. I know you are eagle-eyed and will spot this within seconds of posting!!

So my question is: can you recommend an accessible, straightforward guide to signalling. Articles in magazines tend to be rubbish. I just want to know which semaphores to use, in singles or combinations, and where to place them.

Jeff

The best guide is the long out of print 'British Railway Signalling' by Kichenside & Williams published by Ian Allan. There are one or two oddments on here (RMweb) which although not specifically LMS will help with some of the basics so firstly have a look here and you will find various principles mentioned in Posts 4, 19, 26, 60 and 61 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48504-gwr-signals-and-where-they-go/ and you might also find this of interest because although GWR oriented it again looks at some principles particularly of operation and the way track layouts are used http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59214-gwr-signals/

When you've digested that lot we'll re-examine the principles and start to relate them to your track layout and how various things would be done (and I'll have to start digging through my various LM photos won't I.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I will have a look through the links and see if I can follow what's going on. I'm sure it really IS pretty simple, it's just that nobody has ever explained the system to me.

There is nothing like first-hand experience to explain a point. I often found, in teaching Physics, that an idea was very straightforward but a slight misconception by the student rendered the concept difficult. Remove the misconception and the student wondered why there'd been a problem in the first place!

Thanks very much Mike.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quick visit to see if anybody's had anything interesting to say. They haven't!

Approaching 40 pages and 20,000 views. And I haven't even got the track down yet. You must all be mad watching this stuff! Paint drying springs to mind! :scratchhead:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but therein lies the beauty of your thread Jeff. Many of us love watching and reading about the ongoing construction of layouts, checking back for progress, etc. Quite a few of the threads I follow on RMWeb are the same. It obviously doesn't hurt that there is always some decent conversation and a few chuckles along the way with your thread.

I sometimes wonder the same about my thread though; why do people keep coming back to read my updates which strictly speaking should be in my other thread in Scenery, Structures & Transport? And when it's all done and all I have to report on is the running of trains, will people still view it when they realise that my knowledge of what actually ran in those far off days amounts to little more than 'dirty black steam engine with some red coaches' ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jason, your last comment sounds very similar to me! But how many people really know the ins-and-outs of their models?

Regarding your thread... I see it as complimentary to a number of others. Techniques - relevant to your layout, so definitely in the right place - discussed and illustrated. Very educational. It's what this Forum is all about. Otherwise, it'd be "Blue Peter" style - "here's a layout I made earlier"!!

Agree about the humour. The camaraderie of the contributors is fantastic. We all seem to have the same, dare I say it, "northern", wry, dry look on life!

Long may it continue. And since your thread is rapidly approaching 20,000 views - here's to the next 20,000!!

Have a good evening with your beer and curry in upmarket Oxford!! :O

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, I would rather be in the Albion in Arnside. Off out with a bunch of Sofia's students, all in their 20's and all obsessed with drinking bizarre cocktails in order to get as drunk as quickly as possible. Scary thing is, even though I am in my 40's (42 in 3 weeks time), I occasionally become the ring-leader :D

• RMweb Premium

To be honest, I would rather be in the Albion in Arnside. Off out with a bunch of Sofia's students, all in their 20's and all obsessed with drinking bizarre cocktails in order to get as drunk as quickly as possible. Scary thing is, even though I am in my 40's (42 in 3 weeks time), I occasionally become the ring-leader :D

You've just ruined your image Jason. I thought - based on your avatar (and taste in music ... Orbital - isn't that what spacecraft do??!) - you were 30 tops. Glad to hear you don't drink the cocktail rubbish. Pint of Theakstons for me, please!

Btw, we appear to be posting in each other's threads simultaneously...could be a new Olympic sport! Synchronised woffling.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, Your thread is so informative and that is the reason you have so many hits, There is always something of interest to read and the humour only helps to make the day go by when little is happening on the ground. As soon as you get to the next phase you get more advice and that is good to read and helps us all. I think every reader has something to give and to get back in return and that again is why this is such a popular thread, LONG MAY IT CONTINUE, all the best for the next 20,000 PLUS hits mate.

Andy. P.S. wot no grass yet! :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. The same could be said of a certain gentleman's shunting layouts! Grass? It's been a hot summer and the fells are burned dry. No grass on KL!!!

However, starting next week there is a chance that unknown species known as "Trackus SMPicus", along with "Pointus Marcwayitum" may well start to infest the baseboards. Hope you are suitably immunised!

Jeff

• Like 1

Theres a nice shot of the prototype Deltic with dynamometer car and two BSK's in this months RM mag. Then again there is that rather interesting Fell thingy. They'd look very nice on all that lovely SMP trackwork! Actually the burnt grass does sound interesting. I can't recall ever seeing it modelled although it did happen rather frequently!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

...[snip]...

However, starting next week there is a chance that unknown species known as "Trackus SMPicus", along with "Pointus Marcwayitum" may well start to infest the baseboards. Hope you are suitably immunised!

Jeff

Excellent! I have been keeping an eye on this thread, because, from pictures I have seen on t'Internet, SMP track looks particularly good for OO. I also like what I have seen and read about Marcway points. I started my first layout this year (branch line terminus to fiddle yard plank), and like a fool I used Hornby track with the dreaded insu-frog points. I want to do a larger plank with better track etc. One of my friends might be able to visit the Marcway shop for me and bring me back a couple of boxes of SMP flexitrack. Although I am considering Peco code 75 to go with the SMP at the moment, the options for points are not yet set in stone. Any more information about Marcway points will be gratefully absorbed. :thankyou:

Don't bother with Marcway points, Richard. Good as they are, it's really quite straightforward to make your own. It was the thought of it that put me off for years, but now it's become second nature and really enjoyable....

....unless you have about 80 to build. ;)

One day Sandside and myself will convince Jeff..

• Like 2

Don't bother with Marcway points, Richard. Good as they are, it's really quite straightforward to make your own. It was the thought of it that put me off for years, but now it's become second nature and really enjoyable....

....unless you have about 80 to build. ;)

One day Sandside and myself will convince Jeff..

You know Gordon, that has just struck a chord. I build metal coaches like falling off a log and yet I have never even considered soldering up points. Come to think of it, I had better not consider it either for obvious reasons!! :no:

Hi Jeff

Have been silently enjoying watching this take shape, and impressed with what you've done.

If I can learn to build pointwork as quickly as I did, I'm sure you (and Mr Coachman) would do so far more quickly and to a better standard. Aware of the tempting dangers of moving the goalposts part way though, mind you.......

All the best,

Iain

(Fellow science teacher...)

I discarded the notion of Marcway points because I am mega-lazy when it comes to considerations such as wiring up frogs and swich rails to point motors. I can flick a Peco over with a finger....job done. When the whole shed and garden sections are up and running and I have time on my hands in between running trains and earning a crust, that will be the time for me to start thinking of better trackwork, wiring and solenoids on the scenic section. But I do enjoy reading about others far more dedicated when it comes to track.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent! I have been keeping an eye on this thread, because, from pictures I have seen on t'Internet, SMP track looks particularly good for OO. I also like what I have seen and read about Marcway points. I started my first layout this year (branch line terminus to fiddle yard plank), and like a fool I used Hornby track with the dreaded insu-frog points. I want to do a larger plank with better track etc. One of my friends might be able to visit the Marcway shop for me and bring me back a couple of boxes of SMP flexitrack. Although I am considering Peco code 75 to go with the SMP at the moment, the options for points are not yet set in stone. Any more information about Marcway points will be gratefully absorbed. :thankyou:

Morning Richard. I've also used Hornby track and insulfrog points. The problem is that many people don't realise how limited such track is until they start going to exhibitions or scan through a Forum like RMweb. As soon as you're aware there is better stuff "out there", the feeling of dissatisfaction with what you have grows.

If you read through the thread you'll see a variety of Anyrail plans. These were drawn up over a period of time when I'd decided to use Peco code 75. Code 75 was a radical decision for me, but the guys on here gradually influenced me to SMP. I'm not interested in modifying stock to EM or P4, so SMP with its more realistic sleeper spacing was good enough for my requirements. Many people couple SMP to Peco 75 turnouts. That's fine, apart from a slight height difference - SMP sleepers are thinner than Peco. So what to do about points?

As you will see, there are many who've built all their own pointwork. Gordon (he of the "above" posts) has encouraged me to do so. I don't have the time for this on the present project - it's a large enough ask as it is - and the scratchbuilding bug has bitten with regard to structures (the viaducts took me about 100 working hours). Gordon and Jason (Sandside) have convinced me to "have a go" at pointwork for my next project - and I will. But for the moment I've gone for Marcway. built by the same company that make SMP, same sleeper spacing etc, they match very nicely.

Have a look at their prices on http://www.modelrail...ways.me.uk/ or ring them on 0114 2449170.

Again, if you scan through the thread, you'll see some photos of the pointwork.

I hope this has been useful in some way. Apologies if you already knew all this stuff!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman