Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Have been silently enjoying watching this take shape, and impressed with what you've done.

If I can learn to build pointwork as quickly as I did, I'm sure you (and Mr Coachman) would do so far more quickly and to a better standard. Aware of the tempting dangers of moving the goalposts part way though, mind you.......

All the best,

Iain

(Fellow science teacher...)

Hi Iain.

Have to say, I wasn't convinced I'd be able to build turnouts - but the guys on here have persuaded me otherwise. As I've just explained to Richard, and it ties in with what Larry says, at the moment it's just a question of time. I'm now looking forward to having a go - but not on KL.

Glad you are enjoying the thread. Some of what I'm doing is a new experience to me and it's great fun!

Best wishes,

Jeff

ps. I've now retired, so I'm just an ex-Science teacher!!

• RMweb Premium

As Jeff has kindly offered my own efforts some very welcome feedback and now I have a little more time at the computer I have read through this from the start and had difficulty keeping up with the pace of discussion (it's onto another page already!!!)

From the ground up this looks to be a superb project with a well thought-out approach and obviously skilled workmanship. I haven't seen that many layouts to know but I also don't recall having seen such substantial woodwork and as well built in a long time. Moving on through the track plans the entire project looks set to deliver rewarding times ahead both in the build and eventual operation.

I'll be watching as you go Jeff. If there's anything I can offer by way of support and assistance please ask.

• RMweb Premium

Don't bother with Marcway points, Richard. Good as they are, it's really quite straightforward to make your own. It was the thought of it that put me off for years, but now it's become second nature and really enjoyable....

....unless you have about 80 to build. ;)

One day Sandside and myself will convince Jeff..

You've already done it Gordon! In a year or so - while KL is still underway, I plan to build a "shelf" layout, based round a shunting scenario. Probably about 9' x 18". If I'm still in an insane mood, I'll have a go at building the turnouts for this. Better make sure it doesn't have much pointwork then - 2 parallel lines??! :jester:

I discarded the notion of Marcway points because I am mega-lazy when it comes to considerations such as wiring up frogs and swich rails to point motors. I can flick a Peco over with a finger....job done. When the whole shed and garden sections are up and running and I have time on my hands in between running trains and earning a crust, that will be the time for me to start thinking of better trackwork, wiring and solenoids on the scenic section. But I do enjoy reading about others far more dedicated when it comes to track.

Larry - I know exactly where you're coming from here. However, the basic wiring for the Marcway is just the same as for the Peco 75, assuming a couple of mods to avoid back-to-back problems etc. Have to admit, I could have been happy with the Peco - until I saw the Marcway. As for hand-built points.... (see previous posts!!!!!).

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Good evening (Australian time) to you Rick!

I normally sign-in at around 6am, but was busy today... signing-in at 9am there's been a plethora of messages! So I'm also trying to catch up!

Many thanks for your comments. As you are aware, I'm a frequent visitor to Penhayle Bay and enjoy what you're doing. Kirkby Luneside has been developing as an idea for about 3 years, with the garage conversion starting in August 2011. Actual layout build - the subframe - commenced in June this year...

I enjoy constructional work. I'm a research Physicist by training, though went into Physics teaching and recently retired. I think if I had the time again I'd have gone into property developing or landscape gardening, with my brother and dad (a retired joiner). Not as academic, but fun - and a lot more money! I think it's the problem-solving I enjoy - great fun working out how to fit each bit to the next to achieve the desired result. As far as layouts are concerned, it's scenery that's my main focus. Setting the railway in a relevant context is great fun - and, hopefully it looks good. You've got a lot of this kind of thing on your layout - viaducts and the "Cornish" beach spring to mind.

If I need advice I'll certainly give you a buzz - I've already done so over the past months. Keep the Warships, 22s and Westerns running - they are ace. Don't be surprised to see a few on the "S&C"!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Theres a nice shot of the prototype Deltic with dynamometer car and two BSK's in this months RM mag. Then again there is that rather interesting Fell thingy. They'd look very nice on all that lovely SMP trackwork! Actually the burnt grass does sound interesting. I can't recall ever seeing it modelled although it did happen rather frequently!

Regards

Bill

I've got a lot of hillside to build and I'd better not give it the burned-look as it might not appear too attractive! As for the Fell "thingy" - enough said (what a hideous monster!!). Lol.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hello Jeff,

Regarding diesel-hydraulics, as many were built in Glasgow by NBL, I wonder if any were delivered via the S&C? As I understand, they were usually sent via the WCML, but possibly some could've been diverted.

Seem to be a lot of science teachers on this thread by the way.....

Regards,

Peter (former primary school teacher, so I did teach science)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for providing the justification to run the diesel-hydraulics. Of course, I can always invoke Rule 1!!

Many people find Warships etc ugly, with their "truncated snouts". Have to admit I have a soft spot for them. If I wasn't spending so much money on KL I'd buy a couple of the Dapol-Kernow 22s.

Re. Science teachers and railway modelling - maybe you've got to be a little crazy to do both! Lol.

Jeff

Don't bother with Marcway points, Richard. Good as they are, it's really quite straightforward to make your own. It was the thought of it that put me off for years, but now it's become second nature and really enjoyable....

....unless you have about 80 to build. ;)

One day Sandside and myself will convince Jeff..

Thanks. I take your point (excuse the pun). If I already have something to run my trains on, then my second layout is not urgent. If I were still living in Sheffield I would pop down to Marcway and purchase a couple of kits, and whatever tools they suggest I need. The problem that I face is that I live in Bulgaria, so that if I find I need something unexpectedly then I would face international postage charges plus over a week's postal delay. If I try to buy enough stuff to do all the points and then find I can't, then I am left with a load of expensive white elephants. I will consider it further, though.

...[snip]...

I hope this has been useful in some way. Apologies if you already knew all this stuff!

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, your post (and previous information gleaned from this thread) have been extremely useful. The point-work and track looks very good indeed. The whole project looks extremely impressive, and far more ambitious than anything that I am considering.

• RMweb Premium

Just to offer some more encouragement into the fray, hand built track is cheap as chips to construct after the initial outlay of decent gauges, etc. I have to admit that at first, I bought crossing vees from C&L until I read Brian Harrap's excellent thread and saw how easy it was to construct them and without the need for a specific jig (see below - Brian is, in my opinion, the Turnout God. You only have to see Quai: 87 for confirmation).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37678-handbuilt-track/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by Sandside

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Richard. I hope the trackwork looks half decent by the time I've fixed some of it in position. Fixing the actual track - no problem. Fixing it with all the associated droppers and switch feeds - gets messy!!

If I might ask, what are you doing in far-off Bulgaria?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just to offer some more encouragement into the fray, hand built track is cheap as chips to construct after the initial outlay of decent gauges, etc. I have to admit that at first, I bought crossing vees from C&L until I read Brian Harrap's excellent thread and saw how easy it was to construct them and without the need for a specific jig (see below - Brian is, in my opinion, the Turnout God. You only have to see Quai: 87 for confirmation).

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

There is now NO ESCAPE for me, is there! I made the statement - about a hundred posts ago - that I'd have a go at pointwork...and I WILL stick to it. Unless I try to do it with my eyes closed I reckon - with all the help and encouragement from you guys - I can make a decent fist of it. For the moment, it's on the horizon.

Thanks Jason. I'll take a look at that link. I've also got some links to study from Mike (Stationmaster) on the dark art of signalling.

Did you enjoy your cocktails last night? :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thou shalt study, and the darkness will be banished, and there will be light (and you will wonder why you thought it was all so difficult) ;)

I think I will rename you The HEADmaster... yes sir, I'll do my homework. Would you like a 1000 word summary by tomorrow? :O

Jeff

Cheers Richard. I hope the trackwork looks half decent by the time I've fixed some of it in position. Fixing the actual track - no problem. Fixing it with all the associated droppers and switch feeds - gets messy!!

If I might ask, what are you doing in far-off Bulgaria?

Jeff

I decided to retire early, and couldn't afford to stay within the UK without working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1,000 words does seem rather a lot when you've got all that track to lay, I'd hate to get the blame for slow progress in the bunker.

Damn! You've seen through my ploy to pass the blame onto you for slow progress!

I'm just going to put a few more screws into the boards and some cork in the fiddle yard. Getting there, slowly!

Jeff

However, starting next week there is a chance that unknown species known as "Trackus SMPicus", along with "Pointus Marcwayitum" may well start to infest the baseboards. Hope you are suitably immunised!

Jeff

Great news Jeff you will need to go to B & Q then for some 6inch nails, FINE SCALE of course, ha ha

Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Great news Jeff you will need to go to B & Q then for some 6inch nails, FINE SCALE of course, ha ha

Andy.

Andy, you know I don't do things by halves when I'm building. So you are quite right!! :no: :no:

Hope you had a good time with Trebudoc at the show.

Right, I'm off into the bunker to stick some more cork down...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Actually the burnt grass does sound interesting. I can't recall ever seeing it modelled although it did happen rather frequently!

Regards

Bill

The last (no 217) edition of MRJ has an article on "Fencehouses", which has a section of burnt grass.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

The last (no 217) edition of MRJ has an article on "Fencehouses", which has a section of burnt grass.

Adrian

Thanks for the info. There will be a lot of "grassy" areas in KL once the hillside is built. There's no reason why one particular area can't have the "burned" look.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Vinyl grass sheet formed with a heat gun is great but it is best to wear the special glove otherwise the grass won't be the only thing that's scroched!

You obviously have practical experience of scorching Larry. Was the "blackening" deliberate? Never used grass sheets - any particular make? This is all useful info for experimentation next year!

Jeff

I've got a lot of hillside to build and I'd better not give it the burned-look as it might not appear too attractive! As for the Fell "thingy" - enough said (what a hideous monster!!). Lol.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

What I actually had in mind was those lineside fires whose blackened remnants were frequently seen trackside caused by hard-working steam loco's. You never see them depicted on a layout (likewise drain covers on station platforms) although now that you've jogged my memory (credit duly given) I've pencilled them in for my own efforts. As for the dreaded Fell, we are in total agreement although I suppose it does have some historical merit for being the only item of BR motive power designed by Vogon's!

Lots of fun with the trackwork. That's a stage I enjoy because its there that the layout slowly starts to come to life, although you might like to get Jason (Sandside) round for his ballasting expertise [ :) ].

Regards

Bill

• Like 1