Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

What I want to know Michael, what the hell is a Christmas House and why are you building it?

Are you building a large Santa's Grotto in your garden, complete with elves and the big fella himself? :D

No, it's one of those projects that when asked when it'll be finished, you always reply "Christmas", but carefully never tie yourself down to the year...  

Having finally finished the heating system upgrade (you know how it is, you take something to bits, put it back together again, and there's a few bits left over - I'll be off to the scrap yard soon, should be enough for another kettle!)  I've been attacking some plasterboard this morning, though why I did it in my clean jumper is beyond me!

Hi Jeff I have just been watching both those S & C Vdeos, they are really good.

Good to hear from you again Michael.WORK? whats that?????  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Bodgit  :sungum:

Work?  I'm not sure, but apparently when I'm at my day care centre I'm expected to do some.   :jester: 

It really gets in the way of reading up on Jeff's progress and everyone else's, erm, contributions...

Sorry I've been away for a couple of hours. Coffee with brother, followed by 90 minutes in the bunker adding a bit more plaster..... I'm now out of the stuff having bought over 10kg this morning!

Nevermind, progress has definitely been made.

And yes, it's very good to have you back, Michael. I value your comments and critical analyses very highly.

Think I'll have a look in the Lounge - then Glenfinnick.

Jeff

It's awfully nice to be missed!  Thinking of which, have you put those sleepers in yet?  :beee:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael.

As far as your house is concerned - look at the progress you've made, and the position you're in compared to a few months back. Then you'll feel a lot better.

I must admit that I haven't sorted the sleepers out yet! I know you will keep me on track (sorry, pun not intended) with this - and the screen saver on my laptop clearly shows the gaps. So I'd have to be a real troll not to fit them!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Those photos of the plaster you have been putting on are very good, you can now get a good feeling for the topography you are creating.

As ever you leave us wanting to see more  :locomotive:

I'll be going out to do a bit more shortly as I've managed to acquire another 2 boxes of filler from my brother.

I'll try some different angles for photos and adjust the lighting - but it's a bit cramped in the corner behind the viaduct so it's not so easy to vary what you do.

Anyway, off to have some fun!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Don. I haven't got a decent video camera - only what my phone or camera would provide, and those are only at 5Mpixel.

I'll get Al to take some different video views next time he's round. By then, the plaster should be dry and painted brown.

The second photo was taken by sticking the camera in the tunnel mouth and pot luck!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Great pics again buddy, love the shot from inside the tunnel mouth.

Bodgit

I try to vary things a bit. I need to buy a DSLR, then I can get some proper photos!

The view from the tunnel would be good with an approaching loco. Next time I've got a 9F of black 5 in there I'll take some more pics.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Peter, I partly have you to thank for the appearance.

You suggested trying to fit in embankments. It wasn't easy with the space available, but I think it looks better for the attempt.

Not sure about the geology! Shame is, I like using rock faces but the S&C isn't particularly rich in them. So it'll be predominantly grass, scrub and bare soil areas on the contour.

Jeff

Peter, I partly have you to thank for the appearance.

You suggested trying to fit in embankments. It wasn't easy with the space available, but I think it looks better for the attempt.

Not sure about the geology! Shame is, I like using rock faces but the S&C isn't particularly rich in them. So it'll be predominantly grass, scrub and bare soil areas on the contour.

Jeff

Did someone mention GRASS?

Jeff;

Look into "pro-sumer" compacts before you commit to a DSLR.

Whilst there are many pluses to a DSLR, they are not neccesarily the best tool for the job for model railway photography, as they can be quite bulky - and so not as easy to place "in the layout" to get shots like your tunnel mouth one.

Convesely, a good compact will have optics and a sensor as good as* a DSLR these days, and may be easier to use to get 1st class results.  Some, like the Canon G-series, have a fold out viewscreen on the back, that allows you to literally compose a shot around the corner, where your head would never reach.

Food for thought.

Cheers

Scott

*the technocrats will tell you this is not the case, but they will not tell you that you need to be blowing your image up to 40" x 60", and cropping the bottom corner into a 6"x4" before you see the difference.  In reality, unless you are passionate about the minutae of photography, you could be just as happy with a compact.

I try to vary things a bit. I need to buy a DSLR, then I can get some proper photos!

The view from the tunnel would be good with an approaching loco. Next time I've got a 9F of black 5 in there I'll take some more pics.

Jeff

Edited by jukebox

• RMweb Gold

There is nowt wrong with those photos Jeff a DSLR has some benefits but a small camera you can carry easy and get in tight spots has a lot going for it too.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Scott.

A DSLR isn't on the agenda quite at the moment, but may happen in the future. I used to do an enormous amount of photography, with my trusty Olympus OM-2, which I got on my 21st birthday and still works perfectly.

Currently using a Kodak compact which I bought in 2005. Adequate, but limited.

I used to be right up-to-the-minute with camera developments but lost interest many years ago.

My OM-2 cost £275 in 1978, so in today's money.... £1000? You can get quite a camera for that money.

Jeff

I'm a very loyal Canon user - have been for thirty years - but acknowledge that there are other brands out there doing just as good a job. These days, comfort with the way a camera operates is almost as important as brand, when the optics are such good value. 

You shouldnt need to spend anywhere near £1000 to a very competent camera. Of course you could... but I'd suggest that £500-700 of that amount might be better spent on a fleet of coaches, or P.O wagons, or vans, or....

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Lol.....

I wasn't even thinking of spending £1000 on a camera. Just trying to show how values have changed over the years. Modern cameras are so cheap, relatively speaking. Telescopes are the ultimate case in point, but I won't get into that or we'll be here all night!

I've got nearly £1000 worth of locos on pre-order - hope they don't all arrive at once!! - so they are a priority (of course). The rate I've been spending on the layout should now start to be curtailed as most of the materials used have already been put in place or are in stock.

Problem with this "hobby" is that there's always things we'd "like" - whether they are needed or not!!

Jeff

ps. Time for bed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,  I'm back.   :jester: :jester: :jester:   You know who it is now.  Just though I'd add a little hint....

Anyway, have done a quick catch up.  Pictures show you've been busy with the white stuff, Jeff.  Can't wait for your grass to grow - are we still on this subject?  :no:  :scratchhead: :sungum:

Just had two glorious days at Ally Pally - once they let us out of Wales (A55 and A5 blocked by accidents/snow)

Wowed by BCB. 

Till next post.

Escapist Lune.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly.

We were wondering where you'd got to. Andy, in particular, was missing you, as he said there was no humour without Polly around!!

Ally Pally, eh? You no doubt had a chat with Jason if you were inspecting BCB.

Woodwork today - starting to build the last section of Lune Fell. this could be tricky - we will see...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You never introduced yourself Polly :(

Saying that, although I was out front for most of Saturday morning, Flavio, Kevin and Arthur (other guest operators) were hogging the controls in the afternoon so although I did get to play a bit, I was more often than not round back, off chatting to people or getting photos of the Captain's Cortina on every 3.5 and 4mm layout at the show (Geoff suggested I do it, saying 'you're a very forward person Jason, you'll have no problems getting people to let you put it on their layouts' and he was right ;) ). 

I also missed Stationmaster Mike by the looks of it, as I've seen his photos on a couple of threads but never saw him there.

Woodwork today - starting to build the last section of Lune Fell. this could be tricky - we will see...

Jeff

Sounds like you're going to have a fun day there Jeff!  Looking forward to seeing the result...

• RMweb Gold

Saying that, although I was out front for most of Saturday morning, Flavio, Kevin and Arthur (other guest operators) were hogging the controls in the afternoon so although I did get to play a bit, I was more often than not round back, off chatting to people or getting photos of the Captain's Cortina on every 3.5 and 4mm layout at the show (Geoff suggested I do it, saying 'you're a very forward person Jason, you'll have no problems getting people to let you put it on their layouts' and he was right ;) ). 

I also missed Stationmaster Mike by the looks of it, as I've seen his photos on a couple of threads but never saw him there.

I was nattering to Flavio at the right hand end of BCB at one stage Jason but I didn't have my uniform and hat on ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason,  Sorry to have missed you.

We didn't find BCB on Saturday, until time to go home (sorry, back to hotel) - went up all the wrong aisles, it seems.

So I set out first thing Sunday morning to find you, got Ray and found an operator (turns out to be John - many thanks to you) at the left hand end where we chatted...and chatted....and...("oops, better get back to operating ourselves...").  Will have to catch up with you at one of your next outings.

Time to do some chores.....YUK  :nono: :nono: :nono:

Brilliant layout, brilliant show.  At least I can think about those while I get on with the boring stuff.

Catch up with the rest of you later...

Polly

• Like 1