Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, the hillside and area around the viaduct look superb. I bet you are spending a small fortune on plaster bandage, I cost me a bit when I extended to front on Llanbourne, I didn't remember it being so expensive from when I had used it a few years before.

Hi Andy, I saw a T gauge layout here in Oz a few weeks back. A Victorian railways T class on a couple of coaches going up and down the layout complete with trestle bridge and beleive it or not wire on the fences.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter - late afternoon for you...

I've used 38 rolls of plaster bandage to date, with 4 more still in stock. It's cost me about £150 - a lot of money, but not too bad when compared to the price of track and loco stock. and it's been great fun playing with the stuff.

The plaster to put on top has been a comparable expense. I've just been and got some more, so I'll be out in the bunker shortly!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

15ft snowdrifts in Cumbria those white fells are spot on at the moment.

Don

Still snowing as hard here as it is in KL :fool: :fool: :thankyou:

a very nice and WARM :danced: :danced: :danced:

Bodgit :sungum:

We've been lucky this time. Hardly a flake - that pesky easterly wind has blown it all westwards! But KL certainly looks snow-ridden. After giving the plaster an adequate time to dry, it'll be nice to tone it down with the brown topping.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've spent 3 hours adding more plaster to the scene. I'm getting there. I've taken out shares in all the major cement companies.

Believe it or not, there's approximately 15kg more plaster (including water) in the photos below, compared to yesterday.

OK, you like pics... sorry they're WHITE again.....!!  :O  :no:

post-13778-0-58638100-1364048956_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-94351700-1364048962_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-78346700-1364048971_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22877600-1364048981_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

15ft snowdrifts in Cumbria those white fells are spot on at the moment.

Don

Don - when I read your post this morning I thought you were joking. My dad - who lives in Barrow (they don't usually get a lot of snow and I was supposedly going to see him this weekend) - tells me it's the worst he can remember since the late 70s.

South-West Scotland is particularly hard-hit - so Simon (Kingmoorkid), you were lucky to get those photos the other day before the blizzard hit!

Just going out to check how my own snow/plaster-scape is setting...

Jeff

Don - when I read your post this morning I thought you were joking. My dad - who lives in Barrow (they don't usually get a lot of snow and I was supposedly going to see him this weekend) - tells me it's the worst he can remember since the late 70s.

South-West Scotland is particularly hard-hit - so Simon (Kingmoorkid), you were lucky to get those photos the other day before the blizzard hit!

Just going out to check how my own snow/plaster-scape is setting...

Jeff

Jeff - too true there.  Can't get car off my drive in Ilkley it's about a foot deep, hasn't been this bad for a few years.  Think the S&C is still closed, snowploughs have been sent to Kirkby Stephen area so must be drifting badly up there.   

No snow in Carlisle though.  Bizarre. 

Kingmoorkid

• RMweb Premium

Jeff - too true there.  Can't get car off my drive in Ilkley it's about a foot deep, hasn't been this bad for a few years.  Think the S&C is still closed, snowploughs have been sent to Kirkby Stephen area so must be drifting badly up there.   

No snow in Carlisle though.  Bizarre. 

Kingmoorkid

I know the roads in the Brough-Kirkby Stephen area were closed earlier - as was the A66 at one time.

Nothing at all on Teesside - almost as predicted.

Yes, I bet the S&C is shut. And apparently the cold March is all to do with the location of a high pressure zone off north-east Scotland. Last year it was a few hundred miles further south and was drawing warm air over the UK.

You will no doubt be off taking spectacular photos as soon as possible!

Jeff

Wow Jeff, you do love a bit of plaster, don't you?!?!

The bombproof framework makes every sense now. Some of those fell contours could have been casts of the real thing. Really looking forward to seeing how spectacularly this will turn out.

Iain

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian.

To be honest, I think I'd have built the "bomb proof framework" even if there was only a feather's weight on the top! I just love messing around with wood!

By the time I've finished there'll be about 150kg of plaster, spread across the structure. So it's not TOO heavily loaded, but I wouldn't have been confident a 2" x 1" frame could have supported it.

My only regret is that nearly all the fells are grass or soil - there aren't many rock faces in the area. And building those is another interest. I may "manufacture" a rocky area in the last section to be built - that includes 2 tunnels.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That last picture you posted looks absolutely brilliant, the countours are really effective especially with the light on them, you just need to get rid of the wall on the right of the picture to make you feel you are there.......... :no:  :no:

Got about 1/3rd of the floor done today, if I feel up to it I may just get it finished tomorrow. Mind you I nearly had to start all over. I put a 3kw heater on connected to an unwound extension (yes I do know better - or so I thought) then took the dog to the vet and returned to a circuit breaker trip and a melted extension lead cable !!!!!!!!

Thank god for circuit breakers. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Cheers

Mike

I've spent 3 hours adding more plaster to the scene. I'm getting there. I've taken out shares in all the major cement companies.

Believe it or not, there's approximately 15kg more plaster (including water) in the photos below, compared to yesterday.

attachicon.gif100_2875.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2878.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2879.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2880.JPG

Jeff

Hi Jeff I am loving this pic from the back of the viaduct. :dancer: :dancer:

Nice one mate. :P :P

Bodgit :ireful:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

That last picture you posted looks absolutely brilliant, the countours are really effective especially with the light on them, you just need to get rid of the wall on the right of the picture to make you feel you are there.......... :no:  :no:

Got about 1/3rd of the floor done today, if I feel up to it I may just get it finished tomorrow. Mind you I nearly had to start all over. I put a 3kw heater on connected to an unwound extension (yes I do know better - or so I thought) then took the dog to the vet and returned to a circuit breaker trip and a melted extension lead cable !!!!!!!!

Thank god for circuit breakers. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Cheers

Mike

Yes, it's amazing what a bit of inductance can do with coiled wire! Lucky you didn't have a fire.

You're getting close now Mike. Then Dent can proceed at real pace.

When I've got more plaster on, and painted - probably be a week or so - I'll try and get some pics without the wall.

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I am loving this pic from the back of the viaduct. :dancer: :dancer:

Nice one mate. :P :P

Bodgit :ireful:

Evening Andy. I put a post on Glenfinnick - I'll have to see if you've replied.

As I said to Mike (see previous post), I've still got work to do with more plaster. And, of course, a lot of the fell will be covered in grass, though some bare areas are going to be evident.

Jeff

Jeff I cannot help but notice that you have got those hillsides and valley very prototypical for current weather. Well you did, a while back...

Here is a Somerset and Dorset late-summer 1960 photo in the Mendips for you who have forgotten sunshine.   Bournemouth-Bath-Birmingham-Manchester-Leeds afternoon express, Bachmann 73050 piloted by Hornby 75072, climbing to Masbury.

post-7929-0-31052400-1364070395.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, you've got hints of blue sky on your photo. I can't remember what blue sky looks like - it's been so leaden and bl**dy freezing here for weeks.

Probably end up the coldest March in the UK for 50 years!

Wait until Lune Fell has grass and a blue dominated backscene - it'll totally change the mood!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif100_2875.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2878.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2879.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2880.JPG

Jeff

We also had snow here today Jeff ;)

• RMweb Premium

Yes Mike, but you probably had the real stuff!

I'm afraid I only had the make-believe white-out of a plaster landscape.

I DO begin to see the appeal of layouts set in snowy weather. But no, not for me...

Jeff

Blimey - do my eyes deceive me....

Looking at the foot of the thread....

Michael - where have you been??!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I'm back around - I've had to cut down on my visits to do boring (i.e. non-railway related) things like work and sorting out the Christmas house project (finally got some floor back down, now just to put some more walls back...)

You have been busy whilst I've not been around.  That last set of pictures show all the hard work you've put into getting the basic shape 'right' is paying off.  As others have said, your last picture is stunning!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff I have just been watching both those S & C Vdeos, they are really good.

Good to hear from you again Michael.WORK? whats that????? :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit :sungum:

Sorry I've been away for a couple of hours. Coffee with brother, followed by 90 minutes in the bunker adding a bit more plaster..... I'm now out of the stuff having bought over 10kg this morning!

Nevermind, progress has definitely been made.

And yes, it's very good to have you back, Michael. I value your comments and critical analyses very highly.

Think I'll have a look in the Lounge - then Glenfinnick.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Since I posted this morning the news has upgraded the drifts to 20ft abd the list of road closures keeps growing. I have only once got stuck in a snow drift when living just off the Wenlock edge the top road was full from hedge to hedge someone had stopped in front and I had to run into the drift to stop. Only half a mile from home and even better 100 yards from the pub so we were alright.

Andy is right that view from the back of the viaduct is great just the job for a bit of trainspotting perhaps you could set up a web cam so we could enjoy it.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, to help cut your mount(ain) costs, how about trying a method that David Jenkinson used? Dust sheets! It would appear that he mixed up powered polyfilla (The own brand Wilco stuff is my fav) and dunked the torn up sheets into it and then put them one the railway. It'll be messy, but it's got to be cheaper (even if you by brand spanking sheets!).

Looking good BTW. Just done four days of decorating at home, not sure I'm in the mood for modelling today. Oh and we've had a snowfall for a change, a whole 3/4 inch, and just looking out of the windows, it's snowing again. Woooppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Daft as a Brush Andy G

(Brought a years worth of 1976 RM's in to read, before they hit the scanner, good stuff, and some of the over years I've borrowed have lots of MR stuff in!)

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the extension cable. I doubt whether inductance would have anything to do with it. If anything it would reduce the current. No it is down to plain old ohms law. The problem with a coil is the inner loops of the coil cannot disipate the heat because of the other loops so it builds up. Coiled extensions are fine for intermittent loads such as a power drill where it get a chance to cool between bursts.  For any steady load like a fire they must be unwound or the fire may be in the wrong place.

Don

• RMweb Premium

What I want to know Michael, what the hell is a Christmas House and why are you building it?

Are you building a large Santa's Grotto in your garden, complete with elves and the big fella himself? :D

• Like 1