Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Back to coupling, one of the cheapest options I've seen is to retain the standard Hornby / Bachmann tension locks but remove one hook from each piece of rolling stock. 'Tufts' of g***s are then placed in the centre of the track where uncoupling is required. Reversing over this in the right direction lifts the hook to uncouple.

It's very effective if you can put up with the sight of tension locks.

Ray.

Hi Ray, That is the Roger Nichols method BUT you can't shunt with them.

Bodgit and the OTHER ONE

• RMweb Premium

Coffee break time in the bunker.

Ply cutting and joining has gone well. I'll hopefully have the corner structure - but no tunnels of course! - built by this evening. If you like pics of yet more bits of ply, then bits of ply covered in modroc, then with plaster then you can have some....

Question for the Kadee addicts. Do they fit into the NEM pockets or do you have to drill out and screw them in?

Jeff

It depends on who'se NEM pockets.  Bachmann Mk 1 coaches are all too high, and I shim the end of the coach down .020" with a strip of plastic (it might even be .010")  to push the couplers down just enough.  I only do that on the brakes which are going to be coupled to an engine, the mid train cars are left at the factory height.  (there's no point adjusting them, as the trains are fixed composition at this point). 

The goods vans are a mixed mess- some are OK with just direct in, some need some shimming, some need the NEM boxes taking off and filing or shimming to the right height.  If they are the right height, then the kadee 17/18/19/20's fit in as a pull out/push in replacement.  If the manufacturer got it wrong, then the bodging starts.  The first things to get when working with Kadee's are the gauges and the pliers to bend the pipes. 

I have a couple hundred mounted, and need a bunch more...

James

• RMweb Premium

Thanks James - this is just the kind of information I need.

If other people want to write of their experiences with fitting Kadees to rolling stock, please do so.

Near 100% of my wagons are Bachmann (I've a few Dapol milk tankers) and 85% of loco stock is Bachmann.

Jeff

Jeff

Great to see so much info about Kadee's / couplers it all adds to this great learning resource you have created. This thread is now my first port of call when I am looking for info, just great with the index & so much quicker than going through the forum search facility.  :boast:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Great to see so much info about Kadee's / couplers it all adds to this great learning resource you have created. This thread is now my first port of call when I am looking for info, just great with the index & so much quicker than going through the forum search facility.  :boast:

Thanks Billy. I must admit that every time a topic like this comes up - which I know nothing about, but which is RELEVANT for the future - I learn so much. Hopefully, stuff like this turns up in the Index. If you find a key topic is missing, just let me know and I'll add it in.

The Index will be updated in a day or two - I have to do that weekly now to keep up!

When I think back a year or so ago there were so many things I didn't know, that have been learned and put into action on KL. Still tons of stuff to learn and the wide ranging expertise of the Lunesters is perfect!

Jeff

Bachmann wagons without NEM sockets are a doodle.

post-11105-0-89492900-1364490654_thumb.jpg

Remove the existing coupling, drill a 2mm hole in the root of a Kadee #19, screw it on to the wagon. Job done. All the ones I've done to date are at the correct height as measured by the kadee height gauge.

You can cut the NEM prongs off the Kadee if desired, and the redundant outside locating lugs on the wagon.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here are the promised pics of the ply formers for the corner section. This section has tunnels for the main line and the branch line. Changes of angle, backscene and tunnels meant that it had to be built in sections.

It's ready for plaster bandage now - I'll do that later this evening and then it'll convey the shape a bit better.

post-13778-0-34465400-1364493215_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19100600-1364493224_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-25563300-1364493233_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff, thats a bit of a cliff face you have built there!

I know you have finished the wood work, but I seriously think that you should consider lowering this bit of Lunefell, or those tunnel mouths are going to look strange. It's all to toy-like (remember those green plastic Hornby tunnel mouths?) to my eyes.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jeff, thats a bit of a cliff face you have built there!

I know you have finished the wood work, but I seriously think that you should consider lowering this bit of Lunefell, or those tunnel mouths are going to look strange. It's all to toy-like (remember those green plastic Hornby tunnel mouths?) to my eyes.

Andy G

Hi Andy.

The cliff face is deliberate. It gives me a chance to do some rock modelling - there is none elsewhere on Lune Fell.

Jeff

Another Kandee question. It may seem like a daft one, but.

Are the magnets permanent or electro-magnets? The reason I ask is that I can see the possibility of uncoupling when you don't want to.

The only silly question is the one you don't ask

Duncan

Hi Andy.

The cliff face is deliberate. It gives me a chance to do some rock modelling - there is none elsewhere on Lune Fell.

Jeff

Jeff

Does that mean there will be a rock climbing cameo then :sungum:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Are the magnets permanent or electro-magnets? The reason I ask is that I can see the possibility of uncoupling when you don't want to.

Duncan

Not a silly question. Never used them but since they are effectively stand-alone - on the wagons and below the track - they'll be permanent magnets. These days they are probably using tiny neodymium magnets, which are extremely strong.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Does that mean there will be a rock climbing cameo then :sungum:

Duncan

Since the tunnels and rock faces are on railway property, I doubt it. However, they could always be metal thieves, absailing down to the track. Needless to say, the British Transport Police will be waiting for them!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I can't see why you can't use either type of magnet, in fact if you live under pylons with 132kv on them I wonder if they uncouple themselves.......

Oh, I hadn't realised that you wanted a cliff face! What sort of mouths are you going to have here then?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It looks a lot steeper with just the formers than when the mod-roc and plaster go on. The fell height approaching the corner was 35cm, so I've chosen to raise it to 45cm as a contrast.

I'll probably make one of the tunnels using the southern counterpart of the one I've already built: Blea Moor south ... bottom photo on this link:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/carlisle-settle-railway-tunnels/

I'll make and stick a few clumps of rock around. We'll see how it develops.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Once I have some Kadee's arrive along with some rolling stock to build I will experiment with the  Kadee uncouplers along with a number of neodymium magnets that I have down at Sheddington & report back  :secret:

Excellent! That will be very informative. It's a good few months until I need to do anything about this but a bit of forward knowledge is a good thing.

Off into the bunker for an hour to do some fell building!

Jeff

Duncan

Duncan

Definitely NOT a daft question at all.

On my last layout I installed magnets under the track, flat plate approx 50mm x 40mm, worked ok, but you are quite correct in your assumption of some unwanted uncoupling.

Then I built a "test track" to practice my track building skills & incorporated a couple of electro-magnetic uncouplers, FANTASTIC is my opinion of them, granted there's a bit more work to fitting them as they go UNDER the track, but are totally hidden when ballasted and no more stray wagons.  

There are also magnets that sit between the sleepers, but I've not used those at all.

I did get some of Bachmann's equivalent of the Kadee, but not a patch on the genuine thing. 

Jeff

PLEASE keep them foto's coming, Bodgit's not the only one who looks at the pictures!!

Chip.  :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You know what I am going to say already don't you..........

Seriously Jeff, far too steep and totally out of keeping with the region. If you want to model rock faces, why not model an old, abandoned quarry above or near the tunnel mouths? Little dirt track going up to it, falling down buildings, vegetation clinging to the rocks, etc. Remember, Pennines, not Alps.

Edited by Sandside

Hi Jeff,

Had a quick look at my stone wall castings and they have come out pretty damn good, I will paint one or two up over the next day or so and upload a few pic's. I have a good supply of casting plaster so will be making a set or two almost daily now in order to have a plentiful supply for the far off day when I can fit them SIGH!

Kaydee's WOW what a topic but my indecision is final at this point, I think a bit more thought as to what I need before I choose. Mind boggling array guy's.

Seriously Jeff, far too steep and totally out of keeping with the region. If you want to model rock faces, why not model an old, abandoned quarry above or near the tunnel mouths? Little dirt track going up to it, falling down buildings, vegetation clinging to the rocks, etc. Remember, Pennines, not Alps.

Hi Jeff,

I have to agree with Jason, it just looks wrong, sorry mate.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I have to agree with Jason, it just looks wrong, sorry mate.

It's quite ok - I've come to that conclusion based on one thing. I've spent a couple of hours today looking at tunnel mouths on the S&C and their settings. Very little stone, mostly tunnels built into a gentlish slope.

So an hour ago I went out and have started making some "adjustments". The fell now falls from the existing one, rather than rises.... bit like this...

post-13778-0-94053800-1364505569_thumb.jpg

I've told you before - I really don't mind comments, positive or negative. A stone cliff and steep slope = out of keeping.... So change...

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff, SORRY MATE,  I am with Jason and Mike, I will say no more, :no: :no: :no:

Flat it out a bit and a Quarry sounds good, even a Narrow Gauge line going into the F / Yard hill. :O

Oh I just did say some more :nono:

Bodgit :sungum: