Sidings at Thingley Junction

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

For almost two years I have been commuting between Bristol and Swindon, so nearly every day I pass the sidings at Thingley Junction (west of Chippenham) and although they do not appear to be abandoned, I have never seen any evidence of them being used (Indeed, although my observations have been intermittent, I don't think I have noticed any activity there on any occasion in the past forty years).

Does anyone know of any occasion in living memory when trains have loaded or unloaded here?

I understand that they are retained for possible miltary use, but given that this country has been at war for a good many years without this facility being (as far as I know) needed, I wonder what sort of future contingencies the military planners have in mind in requiring these facilities to be retained (assuming that is indeed the reason for their survival).

• RMweb Gold

'Living memory' is rather a long time :O and the sidings have very definitely been used in that timespan but not - I think - for their original purpose for quite a long time (over 25 years I reckon) although there was some 'preserved' (i.e. saved from immediate scrapping) stuff in there for several years back in the 1980s or thereabouts.

They would, of course, make quite a good electrification base and that might possibly be in mind although there is a long retained site further east earmarked for that purpose (well it used to be).

• RMweb Premium

'Living memory' is rather a long time :O and the sidings have very definitely been used in that timespan but not -

Fair point! I should pay more attention to what I'm typing when making hasty posts first thing in the morning :blush:

• RMweb Premium

there was some 'preserved' (i.e. saved from immediate scrapping) stuff in there for several years back in the 1980s or thereabouts.

It was still there in the early to mid 90's

This is a site I know well, living in Chippenham!

Although not a scientific answer, the last train I saw in there was 9 Nov 2010. 66552 was running around a long welded rail set.

The site was run down once the rail recycling centre at Westbury opened. Over the period of a few months it went from there virtually always being at least one set of wagons to being a rarity to see any sign of life at all. There was always a constant stream of trucks to take away the scrap rail.

Here's 66952 waiting for the wagons to be unloaded on 2/11/10

post-6899-0-94198100-1331842345_thumb.jpg

jo

It would be very interesting to see a list of odd bits of the infrastructure that the MOD was once interested in. There might even be

something at the National Archives at Kew. But then maybe its still under wraps, who knows what the future might bring.... Did you ever see a map of the national oil pipeline network?

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting pics and info here about the area http://www.monkton-farleigh.co.uk/sc_tunnelquarry48.htm. The shed is a typical ammunition depot Road/Rail Transfer of the era. Corsham is still an active MoD site but the ammo depots have been out of use for more than 20 years.

There was a lot under to hills!

Is the 'eastern sidings' referred to by Mike for electrification the area at Moreton near Didcot?

• RMweb Gold

Is the 'eastern sidings' referred to by Mike for electrification the area at Moreton near Didcot?

Yes - it has long been rumoured that the Moreton Cutting site was being retained for the electrification depot (although the road access is very poor for artic lorries). And when I say 'long' I mean getting on for 30 years :O

Archived