Help me choose my next 37...

50 members have voted

1. 1. What would you choose?

• 37685 - Intercity Swallow
    • 37698 - Loadhaul

Chaps I have a strong suspicion that Santa is bringing me a Railfreight grey Bachmann 37/5 with sound for Christmas...

Obviously the livery is completely out of era for Paxton Road (1998-2000, Southern region around Winchester) so I've narrowed down the myriad of livery choices to these two...

First of all we have...

37685 in Intercity Swallow

http://www.geoffbannister.com/tod/modern_diesel/class37/37685.jpg

I'd never really considered something like this but the weathering challenge and absolute oddity of an Intercity liveried 37/5 hauling MOD and engineers trains (with sound) is something I find strangle appealing. A word I try to use with Paxton Road is 'mundane' (I don't want celebrities) but somehow this doesn't feel like that... it's a 'fallen star', (I believe 685 was used on the Scottish sleepers is this right?) now just in general use and looking a little tatty (before it's 2003 repaint). I've photos of 685 in the region on engineers trains.

or secondly...

37698 in Loadhaul

http://arrivatrainsnorthern37s.fotopic.net/p23201805.html

Loadhaul - completely the wrong part of the country but by 1998 the former Trainload freight north east had ended up with it's locomotives spread across the UK with the formation of EWS. I've photos of 698 on MOD trains in the region. Again is this truly mundane? The livery was certainly tatty (and does anyone know when it aquired the EWS body side doors?) but the livery is well liked and a little cliched for that reason I guess?

I'm stuck. Both are complete repaints with some complex masking - just let me know what you think (and no other suggestions - it's taken me ages to decide on these two!). 37803 was in the running but I've 37013 in Mainline freight already so wanted something different.

Vote or post or both - your views and support are appreciated. I'll post progress in the new year on my Paxton Road workbench blog.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks! I think the 37 you mention is based on the early incorrect body shell with wierd cab windows and a porch on the doors? I'm still torn! I don't mind a difficult repaint!

Yea that was one of the dodgy shell, with added printed detail to go with the dodgy roof, windows & porch.

I like the sounds of doing a respray of the Intercity one, a loco that I have found rather tempting to model my self once or twice but never quite got round to it. That said, personally I'd wait until Bachmann come out with their 2010 liveries and see if either Loadhual or Intercity are included, then if one of them is in the range do the respray as the other.

One other thing, 37685 can only be accurately modelled from the Rail Express DRS ltd as it has nose grills with the dividing bar at one end and without at the other with the 'plane' type cantrail grill. At some point its had half the grill at the dividing bar end replaced with a non dividing bar type as well to further complicate thing.

37698 however is a direct match grill wise with all the Bachmann /4s and a fair proportion of the /5s having dividing bars on the nose grills at both ends.

Yea that was one of the dodgy shell, with added printed detail to go with the dodgy roof, windows & porch.

I like the sounds of doing a respray of the Intercity one, a loco that I have found rather tempting to model my self once or twice but never quite got round to it. That said, personally I'd wait until Bachmann come out with their 2010 liveries and see if either Loadhual or Intercity are included, then if one of them is in the range do the respray as the other.

One other thing, 37685 can only be accurately modelled from the Rail Express DRS ltd as it has nose grills with the dividing bar at one end and without at the other with the 'plane' type cantrail grill. At some point its had half the grill at the dividing bar end replaced with a non dividing bar type as well to further complicate thing.

37698 however is a direct match grill wise with all the Bachmann /4s and a fair proportion of the /5s having dividing bars on the nose grills at both ends.

Cheers Rich - yeah 685 in 1998 it hadn't got the mis-match grill and just had the divided ones one end, plain the other - think it got the mis-match at repainting in 2003. I'm wondering if it's worth messing with - I've changed them on my model of 37411 but I'm not totally impressed with the quality of the etch and a DRS body shell is unlikely to become available for me!

When did 698 get Sandite fitted?

Haha at this rate I'll end up doing 37803...

http://gareth-higgin.../p38810787.html

Which is a perfect match for the bodyshell, just needs a bodyside window and some foot/hand holes filling! tongue.gif

37803.............. Now there's a memory! We had her on the Crewe Works Test train, We went one day, and she turned up in Ex-works Railfreight grey, but promptly failed at Chester after filling all our eyes with exhaust carbon.

We turned up a week later, and there she was again, this time in fine fettle, and made it all the way to Holyhead + back!

I can hear her now, hmmmm!

I obviously picked two popular liveries - look at that it's been neck and neck since I started this thread. I wonder what would have happened if I'd have included an EWS and a Mainline blue option as well?!

40192 I'm happy to have evoked some memories for you! :)

It's got to be Intercity swallow, such a tidy livery is crying out to be modelled. And although it's not really a celebrity loco, it still gives something a little different to the usual. And as you say, it's perfectly legitimate around your modelled area. In fact I'm very much tempted to have a go when Farish do a refurbed tractor laugh.gif

Go on, go on, go on, you know it makes sense!

cheers

jo

loadhaul 698 i'd go for :D blanking out the window for the loadhaul decal would be an interesting mod, Also Loadhaul was a rare livery on the centre headcode 37's , i believe Intercity was quite popular :mellow: also Bachmann have already produced a intercity scheme on their older 37 but have NEVER done a Loadhaul livery so it would make your model very Authentic ;) im just gutted that as we speak 37698 is waiting at Booths for cutting having been moved up from Margam recently :(

Archived