Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millwood

mason

Hi Neil,

Good to see that you have made a start on the new layout. It's quite satisfying to get started on something new!

I've used on C&L point (on East Yarde) and agree that they are very good indeed. I would, however, in future buy the rail and form the vees and blades myself - there are quite a few threads on here that should help. doing it this way is considerably cheaper, but obviously takes longer. You can of course buy the vees and blades already machined, plus the sleepers and chairs as separate items - this does work out cheaper than paying £30 for a complete kit (you are not buying gauges etc). I would, however, recommend using the flexible track for the normal track sections, rather than buying the individual components. Speaking with friends, who have used the plywood sleepers and chairs, this can work out quite expensive - you need an awful lot of chairs for a metre of track!

What are you going to use to operate the points? I would suggest servos (like Ray on Yard Shunter), or something like Tortoise or Blue Switch Machine (like I've used on East Yarde), although the latter is manual operated. The solenoid type 'motors' don't allow adjustment of the blades and can be a little harsh in operation.

Yeah, you definitely need to brace the boards, but if you are not planning to exhibit, then the weight is not an issue. I would suggest though, that you allow for transportation in the future - in case you move house!

Although the Scalescene buildings are very good, it is certainly worth looking at scratchbuilding when you have confidence. Start with something small, like a yard hut. I can give you some guidelines if you like - just drop me a PM. Alternatively have a look at Burrington Arms (shameless plug for own thread, sorry), where i give a bit more detail. At the end of the day, a building is just a box or series of boxes and a few bits of plasticard or cardboard!

Looks a good plan though and will follow with interest.

Hi Richard and thanks for the comments and help im using the flexi track, as you say it works out cheaper and i dont think i have the patients to do that as well as the points.

To be honest im kinda struggling with the trackwork at the moment but i will get there, i think its because my usual process of building layouts is fairly quick through this stage and i take alot of time doing the scenics and details.

I am not to sure about point operation, i am strongly considering the servo option as i saw Cavs work nicely at Mansfield and they are so small, but i was reading your thread last night and i like the manual approach with the blue machine switchs.

As for the buildings i have a few plans for the station building and it will be scratch built, i like the scalescenes stuff very much and they were a starting point that made me decide to go in another direction.

Cheers

Nice plan you have there :D

I may have sketched you up a workable plan but I'm very much looking forward to you giving it the Mason touch. I'm glad you are stretching out to try greenery and a station too. Theres something a little bit special when a station is involved. I think for me it reminds me of trainspotting as a youngster, the easiest access and usually first introduction to trains was usually station based. I think it helps people connect with a layout, especially people who are not necessarily rail enthusiasts. Very much looking forward to seeing this develop! Cheers for the name too mate although I think I would split the words to say Mill Wood rather than the one word version.

Cav

Hi Cav

Yes who did that lovely flowing plan i wonder??

Im looking forward to the station, something iv never modelled and will be a challenge.

The Mason touch is usually dirt and grime and the plan for this is green and summery and lots of foliage so im kinda expanding the Mason touch :)

I am not sure if to split the name or not, i think it will look good on the station board split tho.

Cheers

Hi all

After alot of work and struggling along i have finally finished a point, its taken me around 8 hrs over 3 days and i have really struggled with it, i did have another point i had made a few months ago but for some reason this had started to bend, once i tried to line it up with the fitted track on the board it wouldnt go into position, i tried to sandwich it with a board and some weight on it to let the contact adhesive to grab hold, i left it for a good 5 hrs and when i came back all the sleepers had curled so that got removed.

I have fitted a small section of track upto the good point and also the rail joins too, all in all it looks pretty good, only another 6 to build.

If i am totally honest i am not convinced with how this is working and have even considered getting some finescale peco points after the seed was planted by my someone for a small project and still use the C&L track.

I am not one to be defeated by things but these points are getting close. I have still got to get my head around wiring and operating the points once they are fitted.

post-6696-0-70130000-1332452626.jpg

post-6696-0-91615100-1332452627.jpg

Please feel free to comment

Cheers

Hi Neil, I have been off line for a few days so I have missed this one mate, This looks brilliant love the idea of a basic Buxton plan. George, (George T ) and I went to Buixton one day a few years ago and had a good walk around the shed and fueling point so if you want some pics just for ideas let me know. All the besyt Andy.

Hi Andy, i was going to drop you a line at some point just to see how your doing.

The pics would be superb if you can lay your hands on them, i think im going to model the station and building as it was and try and keep to the prototype were the headshunt is and down to the fuel point then its down to me after that and what i feel like doing HA HA

I tell you what Andy they are absolutely perfect, I didn't realise the fuel point was that big and the shot of the headshunt n rear of the platform is bang on, it also gives me an idea of we're the trees are etc thanks mate superb

Great set of pics there. Such a lot of really good modelling details. Interesting to see the headshunt is actually at platform surface level too. Just up my street.

Neil I think that your point looks great. I urge you to resist the peco idea. It may take a while to make you own and get to a completed track stage but the visual difference is 1000% worth the effort. You would regret giving up just because the track laying stage is taking a few weeks longer than simply nailing some peco down. In the grand scheme of things the time is a small price to pay. As this will be your permanent layout you need to be happy with how it looks and the trackwork is the foundation on which the rest is built. You wouldnt want to have it being a boil on a supermodels face.

Cav

I like the BOIL thought. I may go Scaleway finescale next time and take the cowards way out and buy Marcway ready made points. As Cav says dont spoil it for a few weeks extra work. All the best Andy.

Cheers Cav for the words or reason and inspiration, I will keep pushing on, I think it was the super models boil that had swung it ha ha

Thanks Andy they are fantastic, I don't think they trusted people in Buxton with the barb wire on the guttering lots of detail around there though, have you any of the station and platforms??

Thanks again mate

Iv manged to salvage the important bits from broken point one, I can start work on point two over this weekend, it's going to be an escape from final wedding preps and flowers n all that stuff.

In general what us the best materials to use to construct platforms, I have thought maybe balsa or foam board or do I go more for plastic sheet??

Also just noticed your comment Cav about the headshunt height with the platform, I would love to model that as it would really look cool but don't think that I can manage that too ha ha

I never did get to Buxton, it's sad to see it out of use. I thought there was still plenty of freight in the area, do locos get stabled somewhere alse these days?

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Have you thought about going down the PCB route instead, rather than Peco? I too built up a C&L point kit and it went ok but they cost a fair bit of money and unless you start to buy the components separately and wrestle the mighty Templot, you are as governed by standard turnout ratios as you are with Peco (moreso really). Sure, you need Templot to make PCB, but it's easy enough to construct the turnouts and they are pretty adjustable if you get them slightly out.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

It's worth sticking with the C&L points - well worth the effort when done. As with most modelling, only difficult until you have had a go and gained some experience. Having bullhead rail and chairs does vastly improve the appearance of the track.

We've used copper clad on the club layout and does look good, but off course does not raise the rail of the sleeper surface.

I've used SMP track recently (mainly because I was given a load) and looks good as well, but not quite as good as C&L in my opinion.

Building your own track does of course take longer than using Peco, but the results, as Cav writes, is considerably better. I recommend sticking with it, you'll be pleased that you did when finished.

Archived