Bachmann Peak (D27) sound

leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

That would set bit 2=0 bit 3=8 and bit 4=16, disabling the prime mover startup delay??

For CV124 = 24 should be the default

other settings from the manual

Bit 0=1

Bit 1=2

bit 2=4

bit 3=8

bit 4=16

Set cv124=24, no difference. Set back to 20 exactly the same. There are other issues with this chip ie pressing F1 when on the move will not turn off the sound. I have also noticed that the motor control tends to surge slightly especially around speed step 16, this is not down to the loco as I swapped chips for a Zimo and it ran sweet as a nut!

Set cv124=24, no difference. Set back to 20 exactly the same. There are other issues with this chip ie pressing F1 when on the move will not turn off the sound. I have also noticed that the motor control tends to surge slightly especially around speed step 16, this is not down to the loco as I swapped chips for a Zimo and it ran sweet as a nut!

Applos for butting in ! just a thought - if the Default value of CV124 is indeed 24 as per the manual, then bit 2 is set off. The value of 24 is made up of Bit 4 = 16 and bit 3 = 8 therefore 24 in total. If Bit 2 is also to be set ON = 4 then the total value of CV124 should be 28. Perhaps try this ?

HTH

Thanks tractor37260,

I suggested this at post ~21, but Mike reckons not. It seems that yours and my logic agree about bit values though. Sometimes I wish I'd not bought the darned thing.

• RMweb Gold

You chaps are correct, I rechecked my loco settings and CV124 was confirmed as 28. It maybe that the ESU default is not designed for sound decoders. As a matter of interest I tried CV124 at 24 (taking my own medicine) and it was out of sync on start up.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I rang South West Digital about this problem and they new all about it. They said if I sent the chip to them, they would re blow it for the cost of the return postage, so I did and so did they! In fact they put there newer v4 project on it that sounds better and works fine, the brake release is now on F4. I have always found them to be most helpful so if anyone else is suffering the same problem, email Caroline at SWD. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

John E.

Just to add to The Laird's comments in post #32. John got the re-blown chip by return of post on Wednesday and had it fitted into D27 before I could blink! I can confirm that the v4.0 sound is much better (and louder) than v3.5. In fact we'll probably have to adjust the volume setting so it doesn't drown out everything else on Bradfield (Gloucester Square).

So problem solved for the cost of two sets of postage (less than £12 in this instance), which still makes the loco a bargain at the price Cheltenham Models were charging at Nottingham. D27 is added to Bradfield's loco roster and can be seen next at the Manchester and Peterborough shows in October.

I rang South West Digital about this problem and they new all about it. They said if I sent the chip to them, they would re blow it for the cost of the return postage, so I did and so did they! In fact they put there newer v4 project on it that sounds better and works fine, the brake release is now on F4. I have always found them to be most helpful so if anyone else is suffering the same problem, email Caroline at SWD. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

John E.

............and Bachmann have had mine for 12 weeks now. What's more they are still less than interested.

Will be thinking VERY hard before I part with my hard earned for their products.

• 1 month later...

I had exactly the same problem with my Class 45 and Class 25, both Bachmann diesel models. Today took them down to Howes for reblow, expect them back in couple of days.

The problem IS caused by v.3.5 files being put onto v.4 chips - it's nothing you have done. I'm a bit wary of changing CVs unless you really know what you are doing. Your model cost a lot of money and although you can reset it to factory defaults (cv8 set to 8 does that!), this won't sort out your problem.

All the best,

Bill

Perhaps you could get them to send it to Legomanbiffo, then Bachmann could hear what can be achieved with Lok V4.0 when it's done properly.

Paul.

And all for £15.00 + postage. Well worth the effort, makes others seem ordinary!

And all for £15.00 + postage. Well worth the effort, makes others seem ordinary!

Having the chip reblown was suggested early on in the topic, a couple of times. Sometimes doing the right thing isn't the best course of action, IMO. Or most expedient. This will no doubt eventually end well for Andy, hang in there...

Had my class 45 (D27) re-blown down at Howes, and the improvement is amazing! Brian did a brilliant job, very quick turn-around (just one day!), and now my 45 moves off after the engines rev up and brakes release just like the loco should. Very very pleased with Howes' service!

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forget to tell you all about the outcome.

Bachmann did eventually return my loco, after some exasperating telephone calls which confirmed my belief that they really don't give much care for their customers - I even had to point out to the manager there; that when one of his colleagues is 'complaining about a customer that won't listen' {sic}, it would be better if they pressed the mute button first - appalling eh ?

So was I impressed when compared against the one that The Laird had done by going direct to SWD ?

Suffice to say that the chip came out and went to SWD...............and I care not if this invalidates my warranty, the thought of dealing again with Bachmann Service and Warranty really does not appeal.

One of those "out of morbid curiosity" questions- Did Bachmann return it with the same problem, i.e. brakes releasing well after the loco starts moving?

I'm glad to hear you have something you are happy with now.

They did resolve that problem - but it still wasn't anywhere close to the SWD reblown loco in terms of overall effect.

• RMweb Premium

I have just been given D1 Scafell Pike, It will be my first 'Sound' loco when it is chipped, judging by the experiences on this thread it is straight to Howes with this one, fortunately they are only twenty minutes drive from me.

I have just been given D1 Scafell Pike, It will be my first 'Sound' loco when it is chipped, judging by the experiences on this thread it is straight to Howes with this one, fortunately they are only twenty minutes drive from me.

Check first to see if it is a V3.5 Loksound chip - I believe these were generally better sound projects.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Fitted my sound chip from Howes V4, apart from some fiddling to get the body back on and everything seated the sound is brilliant, no major problems, going back to the OP problem I have no such problem, open regulator, brake off, engine revs up, loco moves off... I like this sound thing, now for some lights.

Fitted my sound chip from Howes V4, apart from some fiddling to get the body back on and everything seated the sound is brilliant, no major problems, going back to the OP problem I have no such problem, open regulator, brake off, engine revs up, loco moves off... I like this sound thing, now for some lights.

That's as expected - because you have a V4 chip with a V4 soundfile and NOT the Bachmann (suspected v3.5) soundfile.................

• RMweb Premium

I have followed this thread with some trepidation, as I recently bought a 44 from an auction site, and wondered if it would suffer this malaise on its arrival. True to form of my usual luck, it did.... although the sound wasn't bad, it in no way related to the movement of the loco. This loco is the first of a few I am collecting prior to a return to UK modelling, things have moved on rather in the 15 years I have done other things.

As I got the 44 pretty cheap, I decided on a re-blow by legomanbiffo after an e mail conversation with him (other suppliers are available, no connection, just speaking as I find etc etc) as I liked the sounds I could see and hear on You Tube. Just got the decoder back, and I have to say I am impressed, better sounds and good synchronisation to the loco's movements. He was very helpful through the process too, which given how remote I am from any UK modelshops over here on Fraggle Rock is appreciated. This setup compares very favourably with the Tsunami sound decoders in my other models, and is the first to do so, having been disappointed by QSI.

Now I just need to build a 'Bradfield Square' quality layout to run it on, my usual fare being badly modelled American prototype. #sigh#

So, thanks Biff, and if anyone is sitting on the fence about this, it is really worth the modest cost.

Neil

• 2 months later...

Oh dear! I have just bought one of these from Cheltenham Models at Warley last weekend. Seems it's not quite the bargain I thought it was.

Gra

Let us know how you get on with it, surely by now Bachmann must have addressed the problem ?

Rgds

Oh dear! I have just bought one of these from Cheltenham Models at Warley last weekend. Seems it's not quite the bargain I thought it was.

Gra

It's not just Cheltenham Models. I bought one last month from another well known dealer in the belief that it was new stock, but it had the same problem. Surely as Bachmann know there is a fault, it is just giving themselves a bad name. If they are supplying sub-standard goods then we as customers should be told that before we buy.

It's not just Cheltenham Models. I bought one last month from another well known dealer in the belief that it was new stock, but it had the same problem. Surely as Bachmann know there is a fault, it is just giving themselves a bad name. If they are supplying sub-standard goods then we as customers should be told that before we buy.

Cheltenham Models advice was to contact Bachmann, strangely (or not) Bachmann did not consider it was unfit for purpose. I suppose that's because it said on the box that it was DCC sound fitted - on the box there was no commitment to the 'quality' of the sound.

Archived