Some memories of a master modeller

2mmMark

• RMweb Gold

Many people will remember Denys Brownlee. I certainly do, I was privileged to enjoy his friendship & guidance in matters 2mm. His achievements in the scale are many. He was the plant engineer at a plastic injection moulding firm and learnt enough to build & operate his own injection moulding machine at home to produce components for 2mm modelling.

What turned out to be his final project was a small 2mm scale narrow gauge layout depicting the Isle of Man railway. At the time of his death, he'd completed a model of Beyer Peacock No.4 Loch and a rake of coaches - which used his own injection mouldings. Loch is completely 100% scratchbuilt, wheels, gears, coreless motor - the lot! Denys was also working on a model of the Schoema diesel No. 17 Viking. The layout had made some progress too but was only at completed track & bare baseboard stage.

Denys worked to exact 6mm gauge rather than adapting the Marklin 6.5mm standards as I have done, so unfortunately our standards were not compatible, although Loch did manage a few laps of the Pizza, boucing its way merrily across the single turnout.

After his death, Denys' wife Jean wanted Loch & the coaches to go to the then new museum in the Isle of Man. If I remember rightly, Denys won an IOMR modelling competition, the prize being a trip to the Island.

As you can imagine, Loch & the coaches are quite small, hence Tim Watson & I were concerned that these tiny models might be lost amongst larger relics. This unfortunate situation seems to have befallen Geoff Balfour's model of a WW2 armoured train. Tim had a show case made for a 7mm A4 which had a significant error in that the maker turned it through 90° making only suitable for displaying the A4 on its side. This however made it perfect for displaying the Loch and its train, so Tim & I constructed a small diorama, on which we could permanently attach and safely enclose the rolling stock, thus making a suitable display for the museum.

I took some photos before it departed across the Irish Sea. So here's some pictures of a very remarkable model. It's a real shame Denys was unable to complete the layout and the little diesel. I can just picture Denys behind the layout, contendedly puffing on his pipe!

post-7249-0-60167100-1332494505_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-46530600-1332494720_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-44964700-1332494767_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-17365100-1332494805_thumb.jpg

post-7249-0-16752300-1332494911_thumb.jpg

It was still on display in the museum at Port Erin last time I was there (summer 2008). A beautiful little model especially when you consider those photos are full size+

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark. Lovely photos of the final models from a much-missed master modelmaker. There's a construction photo of

of his unfinished model of IoM 'Loch' 2-4-0T on the Yahoo 2mmNn3 group's homepage

http://uk.groups.yah...m/group/2mmnn3/

Here it is:

post-14107-0-48132800-1333526132_thumb.jpg

Denys Brownlee took this photo himself as a 'proving photo' to check the quality of the build and details. He subsequently went back to improve a few aspects of the final model before painting. An interesting and useful technique.

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Astonishing is the right word for that. The model making is exquisite, (how do you make safety valves like that in 2mm?) but look at the finish! What a shame Mr Brownlee didn't live to finish a layout. Beautiful model making.

• RMweb Premium

The model's still in the museum at Port Erin (or it was last summer). Theres some corosion on the pins (copper?) used to hold the track in place but the loco and train still look very smart.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

Denys was indeed a master modeller. I am lucky enough to have three of his locos in my care, SDJ 7F 88, Bulldog 0-6-0 72 and 2P 4-4-0 17. All have recieved new motors to replace Denys's homemade ones but otherwise are as built and remain excellent and reliable performers. Some shots of them on Highbury can be found here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38581-highbury-colliery/page__st__25&do=findComment&comment=471547

Now I have my new camera I will try to take some better portrait pictures of them and add them to this thread.

Jerry

Archived