Based on King's Lynn

Mark P

Thanks LNERGE,

I note that the diagram doesn't show the fuelling roads or the bay platform below the two lines marked as carriage sidings (used as a parcels siding?).

Both of these seem to be shown on later box diagrams, were they re-instated after 1970?

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

Just a quick photograph to show that progress has been made over the summer with the station buildings and canopies constructed.

I did take more pictures but am not happy with the results and will try again when I have more time.

It's also surprising what errors close ups show, more fettling to be done.

Mark

post-8918-0-54065300-1354054245_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

Just a quick photograph to show that progress has been made over the summer with the station buildings and canopies constructed.

I did take more pictures but am not happy with the results and will try again when I have more time.

It's also surprising what errors close ups show, more fettling to be done.

Mark

Hi Mark

Have been following your King Lynn layout with interest. Brings back childhood memories of BR Blue dasy and my first forays out in to the railway world to such places like Ely and Peterborough. Great days, being hauled by Class 37 and 31s. Keep the photos coming.

I note in one of your precious posts how you did the Campbell Soups wagon transfers. Any chance of a close up photo? What was your base wagon for this and what was the shade of red you used. I am hoping to one day to get round to my Campbell Soups wagon project I started a long while back. Link - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/11328-chassis-and-transfers-for-pva-pvb-curtain-sided-wagons/page__fromsearch__1

Also, what make are your grain hopper wagons?

Kind regards Paul

Hi Paul,

It was your original thread that gave me much of the information I used for the Campbell's project so many thanks for the inspiration and information.

In fact I'm sure it was doing searches for information on Campbell's wagons and finding your thread that first brought me to RMweb!

I used the same Hornby bodyshells and the 51L white metal suspension units then just fabricated the other bits and pieces of the underframe to match the photographs available using various whitemetal castings or pieces of plasticard as appropriate.

I'll post a close up when I get a chance but it may not look as good as I'd like.

Sorry not sure now what colour I used as it was just something I had lying around that looked close, it might have been an old tin of Humbrol signal red.

The grainflows are polybulks (hinged door along length of the wagon) and I think are Joueff (picked up secondhand), from what I have seen as well as grain to the docks loads such as urea were imported and carried away from the dock in polybulks.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Mark

Nice layout. Anyone who has been would recognise it without the title page.

Somewhere I have a scrawled trackplan from my first visit, as I thought at the time it would make a good modelling project.

• 1 month later...

Good Morning,

As requested I am attaching a close up of the Campbell's wagon, showing the deficiency of the methods used in full I'm afraid.

I also must get around to changing the TOPS code to the correct one.

post-8918-0-78034300-1357034509_thumb.jpg

A class 31 brings a sand train in from Middleton Towers.

post-8918-0-93934600-1357034629_thumb.jpg

A 37 substituting for a failed 47 runs round its train in the station.

post-8918-0-94141000-1357035105_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Some more photographs.

Firstly one showing part of the conversion work I undertook when making the sand hoppers.

post-8918-0-53025400-1357038302_thumb.jpg

An 03 takes an oil train over the level crossing on its way to the British Sugar factory.

post-8918-0-55706000-1357038337_thumb.jpg

Another 03 shunts scrap wagons in the yard.

post-8918-0-60109700-1357038380_thumb.jpg

Finally a class 40 draws out of the yard with a Speedlink trip to March.

post-8918-0-25837900-1357038417_thumb.jpg

After two years the layout is nearly finished and I am contemplating using my other spare room for a layout representing either Ely or Thetford in the mid 1950s.

There is still some rolling stock to be built for King's Lynn though, not least a rake of vacuum braked limestone hoppers.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Great layout Mark, and I agree with the earlier comments about how good the Tennyson Avenue level crossing and bridge looks having spent many a school holiday morning watching the shunting and local goods trips (or late afternoon in term time to see the coal trains leaving behind the 20's) in the late 1980's.

Only ever saw one Peak (which was something like 45105) at Lynn, which limped in with the coal empties from Foxton and was a failure. Never ever saw a 40 in Lynn myself apart from D200 on one of the "Network" gala days!

Many vaccuum braked hoppers where stored for a number of years in the goods yard sidings where Morrisons now stands. They didn't come and go just got rustier and I never saw them loaded with anything. In the early 1980's I did occasionally see a few down at South Lynn sidings when the sugar beet factory was still there bringing in limestone.

One unusual freight working I did witness one afternoon while i was waiting for the coal empties circa 1988 or 1989 was a one-off train of fully liveried Royal Mail vans on flat cars. I assume they were unloaded from the old loading dock beside the station the next day although I did not witness that. There was also the occasional MoD van unloaded there with something "special" for RAF Marham.

The other regular dock traffic then was the rolls of steel coil on BAA/BBA's which went out on the Speedlink services with the grain and Campbells wagons.

I understand the sand trains now run twice daily, double the number of trains in the 80's and 90's! Of course back then they were double headed blue then railfreight grey and sector liveried Class 31's (which sounded great - you could hear them accelerating from miles away!) and later pairs of 'SF' Class 37s.

Cracking representation. My first visit to Lynn was on a 101 DMU, then with S&T most Thursdays doing facing point lock checks at Harbour Jnc, sometimes a 350 would be tripping polybulks. Later on I went onto footplate and we would work down from Temple Mills (later Willesden/Wembley) stopping Duxford then through to Lynn where we would run into the yard, unhook then leave the 47 outside the cabin whilst the train was reformed so the Ely drop was at the back and the Duxford wagons for the next day were at front. Happy memories which ended quite soon, the service only went to Ely later although I'm not sure where the Urea traffic came from. Trains of ferry vans, urea hoppers, polybulks, chemical tanks and cartics. Been back in recent years 1998ish with 20s and last year with the RHTT. You've given me some inspiration...... Thanks!

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning,

As requested I am attaching a close up of the Campbell's wagon, showing the deficiency of the methods used in full I'm afraid.

I also must get around to changing the TOPS code to the correct one.

Hi Mark. The TOPS code looks like PEA - very appropriate for soup in a wagon in mint condition!

What I like most about your layout is that is captures the "rationalised track layout" feel superbly

Many thanks for all of your comments and information about King's Lynn freight workings.

I have found a few photographs and even a video of "peaks" on freight workings to and from King's lynn.

To date no 40s, however I did find a photograph of a 40 on a March to Wisbech working in the 1980s so have used modeller's licence to cover this.

Unfortunately I never made it as far as Lynn when I was train-spotting but chose it as a subject as I now live in the area.

I used to work at Campbell's, this would have been about five years after the traffic finished so I didn't get to see the actual wagons.

Am I right in thinking that the coal trains from the docks to Foxton worked by 20s were HAA (MGR) hoppers?

I chose HTVs because I think that earlier Derby to Foxton workings used these and it gave me the opportunity to build the rake from kits (use of that license again).

I would also be very interested to know what types of wagons worked in and out of the Dow Chemicals site, a shame that their 07 didn't used to work trips into the yard.

Mark

The sand trucks look good, how a=many are you going to build?

I've got some photos of the traffic and locos that went to Kings Lynn.

Class 45s - I've got several photos of 45s at Downham and the one below of 45041 looks like one of your earlier photos.

45041DM_zps1a273ccc.jpg

HTV's were used in the 80's before HAA's

31147DM_zpsc7caad6f.jpg

They only class 40 that I saw on its way back from Lynn was D200 on a railtour

D200DM_zpscec0d468.jpg

There was an article in traction magazine about what locos had been to Lynn on passenger trains but I don't know the number.

If you put up some masts you could always have a Deltic

D9000KingsLynn14991_zpsaeea37e3.jpg

post-8225-0-04886800-1358154286.jpg

One from more recent times, well 1999/2000 I think taken from the box. Somewhere I have a photo of my locos coming the other way.

post-8225-0-91308500-1358154702.jpg

Back to freight workings this is the Lynn freight, although not at Lynn, at Ely Papworths. Having dropped/picked up at Duxford and Lynn waiting departure south. Behind loco a German ferry van which would be for Duxford on the next days working and then a string of Cartics covered and uncovered. By now we rarely went through to Lynn and most work was bringing cars to here for store (Rover100 and 200s?).

"The sand trucks look good, how a=many are you going to build?"

I built a rake of nine of the sand hoppers, thanks for commenting on them I have been quite pleased with the results.

Also many thanks for the photographs, I'm still learning about the freight workings through King's Lynn.

When I started this project I had no idea just how varied the traffic would prove to be.

One useful source has been "An illustrated history of the port of King's Lynn and its railways" by Mike G Fell OBE.

In fact I never expected to be able to run Freightliner workings into Lynn but the above book shows photographs of such trains being handled in the docks, initially during a strike in 1981 and then later (1984) through purpose built facilities.

Also some nice photographs of 08s on steel coil trains consisting of SPAs, BDAs and the telescopic hood VTG owned coil carriers.

Please keep the information and photographs coming and feel free to ask any questions.

Mark

Good morning.

Increasing steel traffic has seen another 08 based at King's Lynn, 08 866.

A couple of photographs of it awaiting its next turn as station pilot.

post-8918-0-45811400-1358680954_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-78462000-1358681000_thumb.jpg

A second hand Bachmann loco, hand rails replaced as these had been broken off by the previous owner.

Additional pick ups fitted along with a Zimo chip, re-numbered and lightly weathered.

In 1986 when at Kings' Lynn this appears to have had a grey roof, would that have been the same grey that Stratford applied to its 47s?

The only photograph I have found of it during this period is in black and white so it's difficult to make out the correct shade.

Regards

Mark

Archived