Historic Midland (American) Pullman Car Destroyed

Mike Bellamy

I'm not sure a wooden coach body has much scrap value. I saw it last weekend and it was very sad looking. I know it requires more work and until complete doesn't bring in income, but unique coaches like this are far more worthy of restoration thatn more mk1s

As a couple of posters have mentioned, there is no end of extremely old and rare stock at Butterley and Swanwick just rotting away outside with no likely hope of restoration.

It was once mentioned on another Heritage Railway that they had restored coaches in traffic and sidings with coaches that had been "verbally restored" in the mess room..........

• RMweb Premium

The trouble is that all the time unrestored pipe dream that lets be honest have not a hope in hell of ever being restored continue to litter preservation sites they will continue to attract the attention of scrap metal thieves and arsonists whilst at the same time occupying valuable space. It really is time that a lot of this unrestored junk (unless it is historically unique AND the money is there to effect a restoration) was scrapped, hard decisions really need to be made and some armchair preservationists need to be brought kicking and screaming if necessary to face reality, open your wallet and get on with it or get it weighed in.

Just the other day there was a photo on www.wnxx.com of 45015, gone green with algae, a gutted shell and never going to be restored nor should it be with other far better examples readily available, here is a classic prime example of where the hard decisions need to be taken and the wreck put out of its misery once and for all.

The trouble is that all the time unrestored pipe dream that lets be honest have not a hope in hell of ever being restored continue to litter preservation sites they will continue to attract the attention of scrap metal thieves and arsonists whilst at the same time occupying valuable space. It really is time that a lot of this unrestored junk (unless it is historically unique AND the money is there to effect a restoration) was scrapped, hard decisions really need to be made and some armchair preservationists need to be brought kicking and screaming if necessary to face reality, open your wallet and get on with it or get it weighed in.

Just the other day there was a photo on www.wnxx.com of 45015, gone green with algae, a gutted shell and never going to be restored nor should it be with other far better examples readily available, here is a classic prime example of where the hard decisions need to be taken and the wreck put out of its misery once and for all.

I tend to agree - but then, it was just that thinking that led the Ffestiniog to scrap its single Fairlie Taliesin very early in preservation days.

• 2 months later...

Saw a brief report on the local BBC news last night - one of the American Pullman Cars from 1873 has been totally destroyed in a fire over the weekend - from what I saw it looks like a total loss. Now only two remain - both at Butterley.

BBC News http://www.bbc.co.uk...yshire-17509781

Local Newspaper http://www.thisisder...tail/story.html

To return to the subject. This is shocking news I've just come across, nothing is sacred these days, least of all history.

Emphasises the need for security, and at the very least some form of coverage, such as at Heidelberg Museum, South Africa ( http://steam-locomot...eum-closed.html ), which is reported to have recently re-opened. Of course, they mostly have to cope with extreem sun and sometimes torrential rain, but maybe not so much extended cold!

You may be interested in my Flickr Group "Clerestory Coaches (Railways)" which carries a photo of the MR display at the NRM, which I last saw in 2007, and haven't seen around since! ( http://www.flickr.co...ool-2031425@N22 )

I'm not sure a wooden coach body has much scrap value. I saw it last weekend and it was very sad looking. I know it requires more work and until complete doesn't bring in income, but unique coaches like this are far more worthy of restoration thatn more mk1s

Hear hear!!!

I've just read all this thread at no time has anyone said which of the Pulman's it is (was), I do hope that it wasn't Midland as this was the first Pullman coach to run in this country. If it's gone that's bad as she was at Skipton until the 1970s and then preserved?

Maybe stock of this importance should be at the N.R.M. for safe keeping until they can be restored, rather than spending god knows what on Scotsman and still not doing the job right.

It has been said that some people were willing to sort out Scotsman if they could run it on the main line but this was refused!

Also some parts have been removed (nicked) from some locos in the N.R.M. By less than honest folk, how can this happen?

6229, why spend the money on putting the tin on it and not spending a bit more and having her making money running on the main line.

Sorry to go off topic,

OzzyO.

What a wreck. Probably the best thing was that it was put out of its misery after all.

But maybe it could have been used for parts and or patterns to do up the other ones?

OzzyO.

Archived