Dapol Class 08 / 350hp Shunting Locomotive....

Bob Reid

Without a doubt a great announcement by Dapol - worthy of a seperate thread now. We can argue till the cows come home the cost to the industry of a (by comparison) much reduced in price 'O' Gauge Locomotive however you have to admire Dapol's front at endeavouring to break into the 'O' gauge market in this way with a classic design not out of place on most layouts from the 1950s through to the present day!

Here's a suggestion for DapolDave; D3560 & D3733 at St.Margarets

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=26829

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=27651

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=32576

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=28133

It may be common occurrence to 350 "experts" but I've never seen a more obvious black roof!

I'm really looking forward to it, it's something that will push me forward at last with the O gauge project I've been stalling on for a long long time.

Once it's out of course, I don't think we've been given an ETA yet unless I've missed it - but it'll be interesting to see how it looks as most of the O gauge locos I've ever seen have been made from brass. However, given Dapol's recent history I'm pretty sure it won't be a turkey.

Guest oldlugger

I'd really like one of these new 08 shunters; to my eye non of the available O gauge kits have yet hit the mark precisely, although one kit has come very close. Two things have often fallen by the wayside with past offerings; incorrectly shaped/oversized outside cranks, and the relationship between the cab roof and bonnet, with the former sitting too high. On a "recent" well known brass RTR model the brake gear was awful and the sand boxes were completely wrong. I would imagine Dapol will produce the separate leaf spring support rods, sadly lacking on 4mm RTR models? Perhaps some form of compensation would be a good idea for reliable running at slow speeds? I'm really looking forward to seeing this model. Great choice!

Cheers

Simon

may i make a small plea ? an unnumberd issue ?

If you have the modelling skills to add your own number, surely you have the skills to modify or remove an existing one too? It's reasonable to assume that most people wishing to do that will probably want to add extra detail and weather as well, so any slight imperfections in the paintwork after number removal shouldn't show up?

If you have the modelling skills to add your own number, surely you have the skills to modify or remove an existing one too? It's reasonable to assume that most people wishing to do that will probably want to add extra detail and weather as well, so any slight imperfections in the paintwork after number removal shouldn't show up?

very true , but anything that makes life easier gets my vote ! once the growler gets released there will be a question

whats the best way of removing the numbers!

would supplying the loco in kit form make it alot cheaper ?

• RMweb Premium

But gets await from the point of Dapol wanting to sell a RTR class 08 for less than £200.

There are already kits of the 08 available in O Gauge those that want something to build.

I'm suprised that Dapol haven't anounced a suitable wagon to go with it - the private owner wagons already anounced are nice and colourfull but aren't ideally matched to the 08. A standard 12ton BR van or mineral would be better.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I'm suprised that Dapol haven't anounced a suitable wagon to go with it - the private owner wagons already anounced are nice and colourfull but aren't ideally matched to the 08. A standard 12ton BR van or mineral would be better.

There are more products yet to be announced in the 2012 catalogue so there is every chance that there might well be. We just don't know yet.

Indeed, if a standard box van in railfreight colours is announced then there's half a dozen sales already for the project I have in mind...

• 2 years later...

Archived