DCC sound for the Brighton Belle

oldknotty

Just Googled Brighton Belle sound decoder & had a return on Olivia trains Sheffield.

The site does not have a search facility nor does it specifically list the Brighton Belle? Google says: Olivias Hornby Brighton Belle ESU 8 pin DCC Sound Decoder FREE P&P £100.00.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Brighton+Belle+sound+decoder&oq=Brighton+Belle+sound+decoder&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3...2243l8126l0l8362l28l22l0l6l6l0l133l2268l8j14l28l0.efis.1.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1e4575b7dd61de50&biw=1360&bih=553

The only difference between the Brighton Belle EMU and any other concurrent one is the number of motors driving it. If this is the 6BEL then it uses 6 motors per power car. Most of the other mainline speedy ones use 4. The sound will be nearly identical.

The only difference between the Brighton Belle EMU and any other concurrent one is the number of motors driving it. If this is the 6BEL then it uses 6 motors per power car. Most of the other mainline speedy ones use 4. The sound will be nearly identical.

Ummm ... How would they have got six traction motors into a four-axle power car?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Always thought the 6-xxx in an EMU refered to number of coaches, 2-EPB, 4-EPB and so on.

Clearly if you wait a few months (?) for the rebuilt Brighton Pullman to come back into service, you will be able to use a 4-CEP chip as it will be fitted with 4-CEP underframe, motors and bogies.

Correction, eight motors per set and 6PUL and 6CITY and 6PAN. The motor config was Bo Bo+2'2+2'2'+2'2'+2'2'+Bo Bo. The Merlot strikes again! The BB sets were known for being very heavy and power consumptive. The 4Cor, the first of the dedicated mainline sets had four motors per set and was very much lighter and very quick.

The sounds though are much the same except that the BB units would have needed more fans.

• 2 weeks later...

The restored Brighton Belle will indeed have a different motor than the original, so it might be interesting to see how many can succeed the Pepsi Challenge on it!

The EMU sounds that YouChoos has are for a 4CEP - they are very subtle sounds anyway so would sound pretty close. The differences are in the additional sounds - bells, comms, compressor etc.

I'll probably work on a BB specific sound later this year, but no promises.

John

• RMweb Gold

To cool the series shunts. That faint whooshy whine and the donk a donk of the compressor is my abiding memory of EMUs.

The whine was the motor-generator set, as fitted to early mainline units, and everything from the EPB era onwards.

• RMweb Gold

spoke to bryan at howes this morning and he was just in the middle of fitting up a brighton belle with sound so he does sounds for it, think the one he was doing earlier was his first

If Bryan's Brighton Belle decoder is as good as his 3-CIG decoder (which has gone in one of my 4-CEPs) then the Brighton Belle decoder will be good. Like building up the speed, putting it on coast and then applying power again - sounds great. The donk-a-donk of the compressor sounds just like I remember it. Fantastic!!

Would like to put one in the Brighton Belle but have been told by one of my friends that there is not much room for the speaker without doing some surgery. Have not managed to get the body off my Belle Driving Trailer (Simon Kohler at Ally Pally did tell that it was "challenging") but maybe the speaker could fit over the gangway inbetween the table lights on both sides of the car.....

Be nice if someone could post a picture of of the inside of the Driving Trailer - if someone has had the courage to get the body off..... I've chickened out of doing this myself but Simon Kohler did offer the assistance of one of his "experts" if I took the cars over to Margate (which is not that far away......).

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I have just installed the Olivier's Loksound 4 in the R2987 version of the 5 Bel. The sound is reasonable but I had to use a small round speaker without the case as there isn't much room.

However there is a problem - the lights don't work with F0. I tried another Loksound 4 out of another model and same problem. I tried a TCS decoder and the lights worked with F0.

Could this be a CV problem - can anyone help?

F0 would normally control directional lighting, which as far as I'm aware, the Brighton Belle doesn't have. It does have interior lighting, if this is what you are referring to, you may well need to explore allocating a function for it on the ESU V4 chip. There is a digital fitted version of the Brighton Belle available, see if you can find out what function controls the interior lighting on that model (if any).

HTH

Regards

Max

I have just installed the Olivier's Loksound 4 in the R2987 version of the 5 Bel. The sound is reasonable but I had to use a small round speaker without the case as there isn't much room.

However there is a problem - the lights don't work with F0. I tried another Loksound 4 out of another model and same problem. I tried a TCS decoder and the lights worked with F0.

Could this be a CV problem - can anyone help?

I think the first thing to do is phone Olivia's and run the problem past them.

EMU's were equipped with directional lighting from an early period but frequently the driver was responsible for changing the blind before changing ends. I have no idea whether this model has that facility but I somehow doubt it.

All RTR chips have sound projects in them that are frequently unique in terms of what each function will do and Olivia's might well have used F0 for a different purpose or used the yellow and white wires under a different function number.

F0 would normally control directional lighting, which as far as I'm aware, the Brighton Belle doesn't have. It does have interior lighting, if this is what you are referring to, you may well need to explore allocating a function for it on the ESU V4 chip. There is a digital fitted version of the Brighton Belle available, see if you can find out what function controls the interior lighting on that model (if any).

HTH

Regards

Max

Yes the 1934 model does not have illuminated headcode panels which is disappointing, however the blue/grey version does. According to the very brief details with the 1934 model, F0 should operate the interior lighting. As you say the decoder would expect to control directional lighting so how have Hornby designed the wiring for 5 carriages of internal lights?

If Bryan's Brighton Belle decoder is as good as his 3-CIG decoder (which has gone in one of my 4-CEPs) then the Brighton Belle decoder will be good. Like building up the speed, putting it on coast and then applying power again - sounds great. The donk-a-donk of the compressor sounds just like I remember it. Fantastic!!

Would like to put one in the Brighton Belle but have been told by one of my friends that there is not much room for the speaker without doing some surgery. Have not managed to get the body off my Belle Driving Trailer (Simon Kohler at Ally Pally did tell that it was "challenging") but maybe the speaker could fit over the gangway inbetween the table lights on both sides of the car.....

Be nice if someone could post a picture of of the inside of the Driving Trailer - if someone has had the courage to get the body off..... I've chickened out of doing this myself but Simon Kohler did offer the assistance of one of his "experts" if I took the cars over to Margate (which is not that far away......).

Keith

I have had the top off - it has a body side clip on each side in the middle - this needs a thin blade inserted to create a gap and then stick some plasticard up there. Then look at the underside and at each end there are two perspex paws that need pushing in to the centre (not much force needed) then push up so the body lifts off at one end. The body can now be eased up at one end and lifted off - the other end may un-clip on its own - if not push the perspex paws in first.

I have temporarily fitted a small round speaker loosely against the partition in the seating area with the bottom resting in the chair well. It doesn't look too obvious but the sound quality is poor compared with a speaker with a sound box. I was thinking of mounting a rectangular speaker underneath hidden by the electrical equipment but this would require some surgery.

Chris

Archived