Bomp

In the beginning, there was a hole:

post-2099-0-99425000-1333574946.jpg

Then, a mess:

post-2099-0-87711500-1333575000_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-43305100-1333575030_thumb.jpg

And finally, a frame:

post-2099-0-62599300-1333575048_thumb.jpg

And next, I have to plan my track. I am planning on having several layers, the main one being a four track mainline about 6 to 8 inches above the frame, with sub-surface sidings and a town/industry scene above one end, both fed by a double track circuit. It may take some planning, but I have seven night shifts every five weeks for thinking...

• Like 3

What scale, era and area are you building?

Ah yes, the important details.

OO scale, era is mutable to preference. I have the Midland Compound which I think is my oldest prototype thus far, and a good dose of Big Four, mainly LMS/GWR in origin, and an increasing collection of early British Railways steam, together with a good smattering of diesels. My favourite diesel era is large logo blue and the beginnings of sectorisation. I also have a Strathclyde PTE 156. On the more esoteric front I have a blue Prussian pacific because I thought it was pretty, and on my wishlist I have a Big Boy.

As far as operating goes, I tend to go for internal consistency within a train/formation, and preferably I like to have consistency as far as the trains I have out at the same time. This is a little difficult at the moment as I try to juggle buying new track, wood, and decoders, as most of my locos are still in analogue mode.

Area is a bit easier. Midlands for sure, Burton upon Trent for the town section. I am planning to merge a few stations to get what I want, and to keep the operating companies to justify the spread of stock.

Today I fitted the last section of board on this bout, and laid the first piece of track for the important test - can I fit my dad's kit built locos round the curve.

Yes to the Pannier tank and Lady Macbeth, no to Saint David. However, I can push out to a slightly larger radius than 4'7" if I have to, up to 5' if I go above the bottom layer of insulatio board, so that's a result! The curve is gentle enough that I may even build the station on it, to an extent at least.

I would post pictures, but my camera has run out of juice and I can't find more batteries straight away. I am off Monday, so I should get more done to show off.

Finally, the bonus of over-engineering baseboards is that you can lie on them to get to the awkward bits (as there's no scenery yet).

Pics as promised. Only four lengths of track and they don't meet at the ends (always an important point for my railways), but at least I've got something down to start the planning. No matter how hard I try, I can never plan only on paper. I have to have actual track in my hands and the board it's going on to plan successfully.

Thinking as I do, I think that the double track branch will in fact join and leave the slow lines rather than remain independent all the way around. It would add interest operationally as well as saving space. Perhaps a single independent road through the station. I'll see how it goes.

post-2099-0-02962600-1333886996_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-40563200-1333887065_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-90826100-1333887121_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the naming suggestions. What I'd really like is something with a real but fantasy sounding name, involving dragons or similar. Also, in one corner is going to be a ground station for the UNSC fleet. My son and I are quite taken with Halo, and I am planning a train of vans in UNSC livery with a pair of locos named after ships or characters.

Then again, I have spent the last 37 years with pretend scenery which exists only in my head. That way the layout can be anywhere. I once memorised the stations between Birmingham and Liverpool and followed the train on its journey. As it was my general trip to and from university, I had the scenery pretty well down in my head!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have now cut my first board and put up some supports ready for my dive under at the end of the station.

post-2099-0-07339700-1338999972_thumb.jpg

The supports in place for three of the four tracks. Just got to put the front ones in.

post-2099-0-31321200-1339000068_thumb.jpg

The board laid on to check. Not too bad, I think. The gradients are supposed to be 1 in 40, about two thirds gentler than on my last layout, so should be no problem to get trains up to the higher level.

post-2099-0-05356300-1339000113_thumb.jpg

Looking along the board. That track coming up should look awesome when it's got walls and some of those girder things going across.

To the detriment of anything else I should have been doing...

Code 75 Track, Woodland Scenics underlay (underlay, Arriva, Arriva). Two boards down ready for track. Soon I shall determine the locations of the points. More by luck than judgement, I have managed to avoid under-board cross members where any point motors would need to go.

I think my next step will be to obtain an airbrush from some source or other and generally mank stuff up once I have made sure I'm happy that it works okay.

post-2099-0-50902000-1339100775_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-77218700-1339100826_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-79971500-1339100882_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-74173100-1339100939_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The building has come to a halt while I get some more supplies in, but I have enough to run a loco or two back and forth. The good news is that I have laid the outer three of the four tracks on the curve, and the Pannier and Lady Macbeth go round the sharpest I have so far. So all is looking well.Saying that, there may be more kitbuilt locos to come, so it may be too sharp for them, but I will have to come up with some metal working skills to sort them as and when.

I would post pics, but my laptop is without a charger, so I am borrowing Mrs Bomp's mini laptop thing.

Busy getting more track bed ready, so I can get on when my parcel arrives. I should have enough done to have at least a horse shoe about 15 by 10 feet, if not all the way round to the problem section. The problem with that section is: do I make it removable/openable, or fixed so whoever goes through has to duck under? The sensible part of me says make it so it opens, but the one which wants to get the full circuit down and running NOW says just fix it and worry later.

I am liking the look of this layout and thread very much. Please keep the posts coming.

Will do, for sure. Off to Alderney for a few days with work, and when I get back, I should have my pack of supplies from Hattons, so there should be plenty of progress to show. From past efforts, though, I suspect things may slow down once I have a circuit, as I do like playing with my trains. However, the second circuit is quite separated from the first, so I should be able to build and play at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just worked eight days on. Got tomorrow off for my boy's 10th birthday, then three night shifts, and on Thursday I'm on the boat to the mainland for a trip to the Midlands, and straight back on the following Monday into three late shifts. So, nothing more done recently, and nothing more in the near future, but plenty of thinking time and enthusiasm has built up. I reckon that given a couple of decent stints in the basement, I could even get a circuit down by the time I go on holiday in August (UK or France, to be decided when we compare the boat prices).

A couple of pictures of my Ben laying underlay for me, which also show the latest trackbed progress. Not much to say that the pictures don't say, really.

post-2099-0-18599000-1340732613_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-05854700-1340730498_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-49276700-1340732512_thumb.jpg

post-2099-0-14189400-1340734482_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

thats one way of testing the stability of your base boards lol. keep up the good work

I do tend to over engineer things. Maybe that's why I don't do portable layouts. I can sit/lie on it to reach the back bits, which is handy.

Guest bri.s

I do tend to over engineer things. Maybe that's why I don't do portable layouts. I can sit/lie on it to reach the back bits, which is handy.

nothing wrong in over enginering,if it's that sturdy it will last along time excellent woodwork in my opinion