NX Signalling Panel

signaller

How Big?

Well, one that will fit in my workshop, the room is 10 feet x 11 feet. I am not bothered about the track layout. I have built a couple of NX panels for model layouts but have always wanted to own a real one. I visited the control room on the Waterloo and City quite a while ago now and that Panel would have been perfect!

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Not all NX panels were huge - ISTR Keymer Crossing had an NX panel installed, although that would have been tossed out when BLRS happened 3 decades ago. Then there were all sorts of variation of panel, according to manufacturer. Some were domino style, for example. The engineers on here can tell us all much more.

Not all NX panels were huge - ISTR Keymer Crossing had an NX panel installed, although that would have been tossed out when BLRS happened 3 decades ago. Then there were all sorts of variation of panel, according to manufacturer. Some were domino style, for example. The engineers on here can tell us all much more.

This is the type I would like, it would look good on my workshop wall!

nxpanelvalleylines.jpg

• 9 months later...

All you need now is a crane to lift the panel Roger !

Strange you should say that, It occurred to me last night! My idea was to just have the panel face wall mounted and hopefully get some push/pull buttons, lights and describers to work off a simulator. The console type would be far to heavy as you say. The other way would be to remove the panel face from the console. All is irrelevant unless I find one!

• RMweb Gold

Now that is exactly what I have in mind! Looks like they are using push only and not push/pull. Looks, dare I say, a less costly version than the Westinghouse!

Thank you

That is one they made themselves - pics below are of its replacement under construction at Churston back in 2009.  It is certainly a good way to make one and they appear to be totally satisfied with their results, the panel was designed by a professional signal engineer who also supervised its construction and carried out the changeover.  The 'big railway' NX panels tend to be very heavy because they are built onto a fairly substantial back especially if they are individual tiles (which need a supporting framework).

post-6859-0-58950900-1358249716_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-16159300-1358249824_thumb.jpg

Nice picture and wiring job. I wonder how they cancel a route with a push only switch? I agree re the matrix of idividual tiles, some however are one piece of metal. How they make all those sqaure and rectangular holes in a large one piece and keep them in line is quite amazing! I did it once but never again.

NXPanel.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they have a long hold to reset? There will be quite a few becoming available in the next 4-7 years if the timescale for these route operating centres is anywhere near accurate. Chard went a few months back after being stored in a container, think it went to the Pontypool but there were some other options too.

EDIT

Announced today that Chard Panel has been given to Yeovil Railway Centre :)

Joins the diagram from Yeovil Junction in their care.

I wonder how they cancel a route with a push only switch?

That's not a problem, only in UK afaik were the push/pull buttons insisted on, very expensive and complex and forced an arrangement to screw the domino panels down or they would just come out when cancelling a route, this in turn added cost to the whole panel. More sensible designers just used a common "cancel" button and pressed it together with the relevant entrance button. Similarly all those 3 position point switches can be eliminated by having a common set of Normal, Reverse and Free buttons and single button for each point that can then be readily fitted geographically instead of in banks off to the side where its tricky to find the right one. All academic of course now we have gone to Screen based control.

Regards

Keith

Regarding the individual point switches, manually setting a complicated route (during a failue, say) is fraught enough. At least you can see which way each point is set whereas if you have one set of "normal,centre or reverse" buttons/switches I think it would be a nightmare remembering which you had done and those to do (disconnection/ route setting lists notwithstanding).

On the IECC screens, the route changes as the points are set but on a NX panel how would they be indicated?

Another thought is how would reminders be applied to stop the points being operated inadvertedly during a failure?

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the individual point switches, manually setting a complicated route (during a failue, say) is fraught enough. At least you can see which way each point is set whereas if you have one set of "normal,centre or reverse" buttons/switches I think it would be a nightmare remembering which you had done and those to do (disconnection/ route setting lists notwithstanding).

On the IECC screens, the route changes as the points are set but on a NX panel how would they be indicated?

Another thought is how would reminders be applied to stop the points being operated inadvertedly during a failure?

Quite agree Keith - unless each point end is properly repeated on the panel when in individual control the use of known settings and back checking them against the Route Setting Table after the route has been set strikes me as the safest way of doing a potentially dangerous task.  And even if there are individual indications they can be difficult enough to check.  The problem so often with these things is that some designers don't know enough about or ask about the actual everyday and emergency working use of the kit they are designing.

Regarding the individual point switches, manually setting a complicated route (during a failue, say) is fraught enough. At least you can see which way each point is set whereas if you have one set of "normal,centre or reverse" buttons/switches I think it would be a nightmare remembering which you had done and those to do

Sounds a bit like operating points with a DCC keypad!

I agree, but I still like pushing buttons, more tactile. I have tried with screens and mice but its not the same some how, I also would have needed about 7 screens to see what the panel would show.

I admire your work with computors immensly but I personally still love the sound of a rack of relays. I have however moved from bulbs to LED's!

Cheers

I agree, but I still like pushing buttons, more tactile. I have tried with screens and mice but its not the same some how, I also would have needed about 7 screens to see what the panel would show.

I admire your work with computors immensly but I personally still love the sound of a rack of relays. I have however moved from bulbs to LED's!

Cheers

Working at James Street PSB, with the relay room right behind the operating room, hearing the relays clatter away when a route was set was almost like listening to a lever frame being used!

On the ones I have done the route lights for the appropriate leg of the points come on if you use the buttons to set and lock, so its easy to see what you have done, if you free the points back to 'centre' for route setting the lights go out again until you set a route. As there are individual buttons its simple to use the usual magnetic collars to put over the button as a reminder. Moving to screen based control the physical collar can be replaced by a 'reminder' indication put on by another common button. Operating on-screen buttons by mouse also prevents simultaneous operation by two buttons so the logic has to be changed to sequential operation with a time limit.

Yes and one does miss the reassuring rhythm of the relays, hence JMRI allows you to build just those sound effects into your simulated CTC panels, takes a lot of effort to get them right though.

Regards

Keith

Archived