Pre-Corporate Identity BR Platform Numbers

Bob Reid

I'm looking for the dimensions for the typical pre-corporate identity Platform Number enamelled sign (just width and height) for a bit of scaling from a photograph. The typical sign I'm after is like this;

post-6691-0-23303500-1333700956.jpg

I'm going on the assumption that they were all pretty much an identical size - they look to be, irrespective of what platform it was i.e. 1 or 15!

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated - I'm sure there'll be someone out there that picked one up from Collectors Corner at Euston. I was dammed if I was carrying one home at the time I had the chance - they weighed a fair bit!

Many thanks.

Hi Bob,

I've just had a trawl through some of my old Great Central Railwayana Auction catalogues and the closest I can find to what you're after is another 'hanging' sign which although longer (length is 24 inches) is probably the same height as the platform sign above - it's a LMR maroon one with 'TO TRAINS' and an arrow beneath, and the height is quoted as 9 inches.

Hope that helps ;)

Well I hope I got the dimension right Bob... occasionaly I see such signs for sale at steam and diesel galas, I'll keep an eye out. The last time I was up the SVR there were a few for sale at Hampton Loade.

Hang on... my other half has just suggested looking at the back catalogue on the GCR Auctions website, sometimes to include the dimensions in the descriptions!

Edit : I have a WR Totem beside me here and the height of that is only 10 inches... 1'6'' or 2' for a platform sign does sound a bit on the large side.

Thanks Nidge. Managed to track down this excellent set of pages from the appropriate Railway Executive Manual! http://flic.kr/p/79Zy7K well worth a look and for the the other wealth of information contained in it! the answer for me though was 24"w x 18"h

A great help many thanks

That's a tidy link, that one, Bob! Great spot for the resource room...

If it helps, I have some )) ones produced by "Pre-Cut" in font of me, which look right to my eyes. They are 8mm wide by 6mm high; a quick check of your pic with a rule on my screen gives 52x43mm. This is approx the same dimensions, considering the inaccuracy of my measuring off a pic which is not 100% straight-on view.

Found this link via Google as a supplier (no connection myself): http://www.randrhobbies.co.uk/PRE-CUT+MINIATURE+SIGNS+OO+gauge+PVVETndBVE02a25jdmRXWjBGMlk

Hope this helps.

Stewart

Archived