Wiring Peco asymmetric points for dcc?

Earl Bathurst

I only have one 3 way assymetric point and he rest are normal points. Cant i also put the other points into the juicer to control the frog polarity then?

Thanks for the pic :)

Scott

You can connect the first two frogs on the asymmetric to a single frog juicer output (labeled 2 and 3 on the peco drawing). The furthest frog (1) needs to be connected to another juicer output.

You can connect the first two frogs on the asymmetric to a single frog juicer output (labeled 2 and 3 on the peco drawing). The furthest frog (1) needs to be connected to another juicer output.

I didnt realise that Ray.......I'll get the drawing out of the empty point box and have a look at which frogs you are referring to. Is there a simple and obvious reason for this.?

If this is right, then I could swop over my feeds in the picture.

Bob

Yes, of course you can!

Hi Orion,

Sorry if I am being completely dumb....but why would you want to connect the frogs to normal points, on my code 75 electrofrogs, the switch blade alters the frog polarity.

I know there is an obvious reason....I'm just missing what it is.

Bob.

I don't think you are being dumb at all. It is just that switch blade contact is not always that reliable, whereas a frog juicer should be 100% reliable - better even that switch contacts on point motors.

Orion didn't say that you had to connect up frogs to the juicer on ordinary points - just that you can.

I didnt realise that Ray.......I'll get the drawing out of the empty point box and have a look at which frogs you are referring to. Is there a simple and obvious reason for this.?

If this is right, then I could swop over my feeds in the picture.

Bob

Hi Bob.

Yes, if you look at the peco wiring diagram it shows the nearest two frogs connected together. This is because they will always need to be at the same polarity for the right and straight through parts of the turnout. (the drawing is from the bottom of the point)

Ray.

I don't think you are being dumb at all. It is just that switch blade contact is not always that reliable, whereas a frog juicer should be 100% reliable - better even that switch contacts on point motors.

Orion didn't say that you had to connect up frogs to the juicer on ordinary points - just that you can.

Got it........as an additional support to the switch blade connection to the stock rail.......!!!

You dont have to...but you can, as you said.

Thanks....................Bob.

Hi Bob.

Yes, if you look at the peco wiring diagram it shows the nearest two frogs connected together. This is because they will always need to be at the same polarity for the right and straight through parts of the turnout. (the drawing is from the bottom of the point)

Ray.

Thanks Ray....I'll go dig it out later........then I may as well swop the wires on the juicer outlets, then I'll never have a possible conflict, no matter how remote it was before.

Bob.

Hi

When you say you have to connect the nearest 2 frogs together what do you mean?

Also im still unsure got 7 points and 6 outlets on juicer which 1 should i double up on?

I think i got it :S

I look on the peco drawing if i got it But which is frog 2 and 3 then on the 3 way?

If you take your 3 way point, the frog nearest the end where the tracks all come together, is number 3. The next one further away is number 2 and so on.

You can put the wires from frogs 2 and 3 into the same frog juicer outlet. So for the 3 way point, you now only need to use 2 out of the 6 outlets.

When doubling up wires into the juicer outlets for your other points.....try and double up on two points that you think 2 separate locos are unlikely to pass over at the same time. Then you wont have a conflict of polarity.

Bob

Hi Bob

sle-199.jpg

Which of these was you refering to?

Scott

The frog on the far left of the point is number 1........its the next two frogs (2 and 3) that can be wired into one juicer outlet.

Good luck.......Bob

Hi Scott,

Here is a pic of the two frogs that can be wied together into the juicer....its the two I'm pointing at.

I shall be doing the same with mine later today, following Rays(Tenders) explanation.

post-21-0-55877000-1343558170_thumb.jpg

Hi

1.... If your three way point has Three wires one from each frog then wire as per this drawing...

3Waypointfrogswitchwiring2frogwires-3.jpg

2....If your three way point has Two wires from the frogs then wire as per this drawing....

3Waypointfrogswitchwiring2frogwires-2.jpg

In all cases don't forget to add the four Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) as shown, then install new rail feeds after the IRJs

Hi Bob, Brian.

Thanks for following through on this, been out of the loop today, just got back from Colwyn Bay MRE.

Ray.

Hi Ray...hope you had a good day,

Its yet another instance of where RMweb is so useful.....to all of us. So many kind people, all good enough to help others with their experience.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

All wired in and works a treat. thank you for the advise its made using 3 way points alot easier and cant thank you enough for the pointer :)

Scott

Glad to hear it all has gone well Scott.

All the best..........Bob.

Archived