West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

I think you'd be struggling for 'plausible' there Rod, but I agree they are superb models – I saw Brian Daniel's take on one at the Bristol show ;-)

I once built a 4-mil layout where I could swap the semaphore signalling from upper quadrant to lower depending on whether I wanted to run BR(M) or BR (W); I could also swap the signal box which was the only region-specific building. Providing your layout's infrastructure isn't too tied to a region/location you could run in BR(S) mode from time to time – you've got a 33 after all!

David

David

Now that's a point, David!!  However, it would be a complete new learning curve as the Southern was the wrong end of the country for me (still is, come to that!!) and I never knew anything about it.  But, you have got me thinking, particularly mentioning the 33.  I've justified that on the layout by assuming it's got diverted from its normal Crewe - Cardiff duties.

I'll let that float about in the brain for a while!!

Rod

Rod

You could always fall back on the Railtour excuse. I remember some time back they took a 12 car Hastings unit on a Railtour up to Carlisle - out via Shap and back via Settle and Carlisle. You could knock up a headboard and print to glossy paper and fit to a lamp iron.

Of course the unit could then have failed on arrival needing works attention meaning it would have had to be out on a test run before returning to the Southern.

Blue and Grey livery?

regards

Paul R

In return could you provide an excuse for a visiting Western on the Braintree branch in Essex. I am just about pushing it with a deltic but at least they did visit Stratford occasionally for repairs and a trip over the braintree branch (imagined still to be open to Bishops Stortford) would have made an ideal test run.

Paul

Hi all

I've not been on here for a while as I've been having problems with my 'puter.  Hopefully it's fixed now.

Thank you for your comments in answer to my request for justification for a 205 Thumper on my layout.  I think I'll go for the Southern extending it's electrification, diesel units being cascaded and a 2-car (maybe 3!!) sent to Merseyside for trials.  I'll stick with the infrastructure I've got so won't be needing any Southern signals (big sigh of relief, Jon??)  But thanks for the idea, David. The failed railtour unit was nice, Paul - someone at the Club also suggested that Merseyside had hi-jacked one going aboard ship to go to Ireland!!!!!

As for my layout.  I bought a Lenz 23151 interface at the L&Y DCC show in Manchester a couple of weeks ago so that I can run CV Editor and Touchcab - I want to control the trains using my iPhone, having seen it in operation on Loch Dour, at the same Manchester show.  I also bought a secondhand laptop to run it in the shed, but unfortunately, the ethernet port doesn't work so that is back at the shop.

So, in the meantime, I've decided to replace the crossover on the curve outside the station.  I'll probably also build the catch points while I'm at it.  I've made a start and I'll post a pic or two to show that I've started shortly - they're still in the camera at the moment!!!  I'll probably start a new thread for that.

That's my progress so far, more soon.

Rod

• Like 1

Back again, as the pics are now out of the camera.  The first one is a reminder of the original setup:

post-7571-0-67223300-1369917780_thumb.jpg

The next shows the template laid down on top of the existing track, just to make sure it was feasible.  The template on the right is the one I will use to get details of which chairs go where, etc.   That one hasn't been cut.  Not, at the time a deliberate choice, but it does mean I can use those for the catch points.

post-7571-0-01579700-1369917852_thumb.jpg

Having decided it was feasible I ripped up the old track and was left with this!!

post-7571-0-93591600-1369917909_thumb.jpg

No way back now!!

I'll go and get on with it now - the sun is shining so hopefully I can work with the shed doors open!!  More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

I've a way to go to catch up Coachman, Jon, but I do see what you mean.  I've been following his thread for a while now.  

I agree about the track: I didn't feel happy with the way my stock was running through the other stuff - in fact some of it was derailing - and it was spoiling my enjoyment.  This work has put me back, but it's really enjoyable and worth doing.

I've started a new thread to describe the building of the crossover - this is the link:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72348-building-a-cl-curved-crossover-in-situ/?p=1056183

I hope it's useful.

I hope to get more done tomorrow but I'm going to collect my Class 115 and then going out to see a Queen tribute band so maybe I won't get a lot done!!!  Then there's Cleckheaton on Saturday!!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 1

Hi all.

No work done on the layout today, but I did collect my 115, so I thought I'd put some pics on here, just to show what it's like:  First, 2 general views:

post-7571-0-87723900-1370041054_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-58197300-1370041090_thumb.jpg

Then a view as it snakes over the crossover leaving platform 2 towards the gap in the track where the crossover has been taken out!!  (That view's for David (Siddall)!!!)

post-7571-0-42916400-1370041235_thumb.jpg

Finally, a close up of the first class section:

post-7571-0-64087900-1370041308_thumb.jpg

It needs marker lights (and possibly the Easy build light mouldings thinning down a bit), passengers and the underframe weathering.  The frustrating thing is that I don't have any chips for it, so I'll have to wait to take it to the Club on Monday evening to run it!!

But I'm dead pleased with it!!!  More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 6

Then a view as it snakes over the crossover leaving platform 2 towards the gap in the track where the crossover has been taken out!!  (That view's for David (Siddall)!!!)

attachicon.gifP1020304 - Copy.JPG

I am so liking that :-)

The interior's a bit special too... are those 1st class seat frames actually wood grained?

D

Edited by David Siddall

Superb model mate. It'll look really good next to your cascaded 205 :clapping:

Thanks, Mark - though I can't take credit for building it - a pal of mine did that.  I've also ordered a 205 today - to be built for me. I took a deep breath and jumped in, so to speak, but I did manage to sell one of my Heljan 37s so some money will be coming back into the coffers!!!!

Rod

I am so liking that :-)

The interior's a bit special too... are those 1st class seat frames actually wood grained?

D

Hi David.

The seats are resin mouldings.  It's the way they've been painted that gets the wood grain effect.

Rod

Great model Rod. Any chance of a video when you have it working?

Paul R

I'll certainly try, Paul.  It might be a while before I get sound chips in it, but I think I've got a couple of motor/lights only chips which I'll aim to fit - but only after I've finished the pointwork!!

Rod

PS     Are there instructions somewhere on the site for adding videos?  Do they have to be put on Youtube first?

Edited by Dmudriver

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.

Just a quick update (while my dinner's cooking!!).   The curved crossover is now complete - track feeds fitted and working without any short circuit, Tortoise motors fitted and working, live frog checked and working.  One of my most troublesome vehicles and a Heljan coach run through it with no problem at all, as does my 03 shunter.  Absolute bliss after the other ones!!!

I'm just relaying the DMU storage sidings - I'm aiming to finish those in the morning.  Then, provided it doesn't rain on Wednesday, I'm going to play!!!!!

I'll post some photos shortly - the light isn't good at the moment (too much contrast).

More soon.

Rod

• Like 2

PS     Are there instructions somewhere on the site for adding videos?  Do they have to be put on Youtube first?

Most convenient way, Rod because it's very easy to embed them into a post on RMWeb.

Looking forward to more photos (and video)! Really enjoying this thread...

Best, Pete.

Hi all.

As promised yesterday, here are some pics of the layout as of tonight.

The first is of the completed crossover with the tracks now joined up to it.  I've done a bit more testing tonight and my 4-coach rake of Heljans run through it smoothly, as do a rake of parcels stock - both bogie and 4-wheel.  I tried my 37 last night and that was fine, too, so overall I'm very happy.  Maybe I'm blowing my own trumpet, but I do like the flow of the track through the crossing.

post-7571-0-52835100-1370986338_thumb.jpg

The second is a view of the layout looking towards the bufferstops.  The 3 sidings on the left are the DMU stabling point and the right hand one will take the 4-car.  However, the headshunt won't take it yet - it's about 2" too short, so that will need lengthening.  However, as I've no chips in the 115 yet, there's no hurry for tomorrow when, weather permitting, I'm going to have a play.  The left hand one will take the 4-car at a pinch, but it will need to be right up against the buffer stop.  I think the 3-car and the inspection saloon will be OK though.

post-7571-0-69865900-1370986373_thumb.jpg

The third is the view from above the bufferstops.  Again, I'm pleased with the flow of the track I've achieved - so much better than it was with the original points when the right hand platform road and the sidings were kinked  (see much earlier pics).  Obviously, it will all look better when the rail sides are painted, it's all ballasted and weathered, but for now, I can play for a while!!  It's not too obvious in this picture, but there's a lot of space in the top left corner of the layout (looking at it from this point of view).  It did cross my mind to relocate the DMU stabling point over there, but I'd probably end up with too much track.  I want that area for scenics, anyway.  I quite fancy a park - possibly with a small arboretum.  But the scenics are a fair way off yet.  More pressing from that point of view is what to do with the road bridge that's on the prototype.  I can't put it between station and crossover as the stabling point sidings are in the way.   I could put it at the end of the sidings but then it will obscure the inner home signal - which I do not want to do.  I'll probably use it across the exit from the shed and hope to hide the hole in the shed wall.  I'll have to be careful because of the signal sighting though.

post-7571-0-69681300-1370986415_thumb.jpg

The final pic is a close up of the station throat.  As I've said above I do like the flow of the track (is the the third time I've said that???!!!)  The space to the left is more obvious here, but I don't want all track - and, anyway, if I did have more, the fiddle yard couldn't cope!!  Plus I'd have to get the signal box diagram redrawn - even now, it's slightly incorrect as the stabling point is shown as "Private Siding", but I can live with that - I can say I'm waiting for S&T to redo it - but the point work on the ground hasn't changed, it's still hand operated.

post-7571-0-97118200-1370986445_thumb.jpg

So that's it for now.  A very satisfied RMwebber!! 

Playtime tomorrow, but if the weather's bad I've plenty to do with locos and stock, so I won't be bored!!  (Not that I ever do get bored - I'm retired but I still don't have time to do everything I want to!!)

More soon.

Rod

• Like 14

Looks the business and a very rapid result too Rod, you've definately earned the right to have a blast on your trumpet!

Enjoy your play and never mind the weather.

Looking forward to the scenics now! :good:

JF

Evening all.

Another update!! I had a really good play the other day - pretty good weather allowed me all day out in the garden.  I was only missing the Class 31 and the Class 115; the layout was busy, but they'll fit in with no problem.  

I'll talk about the 31 later, but I've now put chips in the 115 power cars - 2 x Lokpilots v3.0.  No sound, just drive and lights.  I've 2 x Zimo chips to have reblown for the sound.  I've only run it round the part of the layout in the shed for now - I only finished putting the chips in about 6.30 pm!  So here's a few pics.  First up, 3 of Derby's finest (DMUs, anyway!) lined up in the stabling point.  Left to right,class 115, class 108 2-car and class 108 3-car.

post-7571-0-66821400-1371243233_thumb.jpg

Some jobs to finish are quite obvious:  handrails on the 3-car 108, lights in the 115, couplings to paint and hang up under the bufferbeam (I really do not like unpainted couplings - they always look as if they're an afterthought - the same comment goes for shiny buffers!!)  There's a bit of a kink in the centre track, but that can stay - these are sidings, after all!!  There's the track to ballast, too.  The headcode box on the 108 in the centre is wrong - it's curved on the top (I think the 118s were like that).  However, I'm not going to change that as it's not obvious from normal viewing distances.

The next pic is an aerial view of the stabling point.  (Hmmmm, maybe the headcode box in the centre is a bit obvious -but only if you're looking for it!!)

post-7571-0-78969100-1371243256_thumb.jpg

The third is an aerial view of the stabling point from the rear with the 3 DMUs in the same places as the previous shot.  

post-7571-0-10500500-1371243284_thumb.jpg

The 115 takes up all of the siding, but there's room in the other 2.  I had the inspection saloon parked in the left hand one, with the 3-car unit when I was playing the other day.

The final shot shows why the headshunt needs extending!!   This is the 115 with the other end hard up against the buffers!!  I've got another 6" to play with, so that will be a job for this weekend.

post-7571-0-02807100-1371243305_thumb.jpg

Running the 115 has raised a couple of little points:  1) is that the Delrin chain on one of the bogies locks up every now and then.  I think it's because a couple of the links are a bit tight.  I've put some lubricant on and I'll see how it goes.  If the worst comes to the worst, I'll replace the chain.  2) the buffers lock on occasions on the reverse curves in the station throat.  That does need remedying.  As I see it, there are a few options:  Kadee  couplings, or a bar between each coach - I don't like either as there are no corridor connections and they will be visible.  Next, superglue a coupling between the coaches rigid to keep them apart; this works on the push-pull set, but has the disadvantage that, on straight track, there is a gap between the buffers.  My favoured solution will be a piece of wire across the buffer heads, thin and painted black.

I mentioned the 31 earlier.  I've had problems with one bogie since I got it - the motor rising up and grinding against the fan, then going too far down and catching the keeper plate under the bogie; the gears grinding; poor pickup and finally, the motor failing to even turn the gears.  End result - a new motor from Howes.  Now fitted and running OK; still with a bit of a growl but I'll see how it goes (others have mentioned this but it has gone away after running.)

I'm also planning to put a CCTV camera at the end of the fiddle yard and a small TV camera in the shed so that I can operate end to end when the weather's bad and the shutters are in place.  I'll only be able to use the DMUs and the steam push-pull set as I won't be able to swap locos about, but I'll still be able operate a service.  I've been talking to John Holden about that as that is what he uses on his layout "Liverpool Lime Street".

So, that's my news/progress up to tonight.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

Evening all.

I said in my last post that my job for this weekend was extending the headshunt - and I've done it.  It turned out I had 9.5" available rather than 6" so the 115 fits in the headshunt very comfortably now.  Here's a pic from the same end as the final one in the last post and shows the amount of track I've got to spare.  That will be more than enough:

post-7571-0-25856900-1371415750_thumb.jpg

The short piece of track isn't the one I've put in today - that was needed when I replaced the original point with the Peco.  The extension was made at the other, platform, end and the second pic shows how I've done it.  The new piece of track is the cleaner piece:

post-7571-0-24185000-1371415767_thumb.jpg

The platform will now end alongside this headshunt, rather than run behind it.  The buffer stop was originally in line with the others.  I've yet to replace the wiring to the red light but that shouldn't be too difficult.

The 115 is now residing in the stabling point, but it looks just the same as in the pics yesterday - it's just that, to get there, I didn't have to lift one wheelset as the point changed!!!

Next??  Well, apart from the jobs mentioned yesterday, I want to set up Touchcab.  I used it on the layout I was operating on yesterday and I've had it on my iPhone for a while now.  I've also got a new router and, now that the point- and trackwork is finished, I'll push on with it.  It really is something else - being able to walk alongside the train you're controlling, instead of being "tethered" to 2 or 3 places on the layout.  Well, at least that's an advantage on longer layouts!  Plus, loco selection is so much easier than on the Lenz hand-held throttles.  The layout yesterday had the points and signals operated by the iPhone or iPads, but I'm not going to do that - I like my panel too much!!

More progress soon.

Rod

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

It's been well over a week, so time for another update.

I've got Touchcab set up  and working now and it is so much better to use than the tethered Lenz handsets!!  Apart from being able to walk alongside the train you're controlling - and just wander to whatever viewpoint you want - changing locos and functions is vastly simpler.  I'd thoroughly recommend it.  I do make sure that my iPhone is tuned in to the router in the shed and not my broadband- connected router in the house as, I'm told, if your mobile rings, you lose control of the loco!!

Yesterday and last Wednesday were "playdays"!!  Last Wednesday, though, turned out to be "buffer lock" day - the culprits being the steam pushpull set and the 115.  I think I've mentioned it before but I thought it might have been the fault of the original (poor) pointwork.  Anyway, even with my new pointwork, it still happens.  On the steam set it was between loco and first coach - between the coaches is OK due to rigid screw couplings (superglued in the extended position).  I had had a piece of wire across the buffers of the coach extending each side of the buffers and, thinking they were too long, trimmed them.  I was wrong!!!  So I took the wire off, rebent it and refitted it and it's now OK.

I sorted the 115 out by fixing a wire across the buffer faces of adjacent coaches.  This pic shows what I mean:

post-7571-0-35919600-1372367944_thumb.jpg

The wires here are attached by superglue but I've now refitted them with Araldite.  It works a treat and the unit now runs through both sets of reverse curves with no problem, as does the pushpull set.    The wires (and couplings) still need painting but that job isn't urgent.  The rest of that day was spent making sure the trackwork and electrics were ok - and they were!!  There are a couple of small blemishes in the pointwork - well, in the earlier ones I built, anyway - but not enough to cause derailments or poor running.

Having said that, the leading pony truck of the Ivatt derails on one section of the rear crossover (nothing else does!!):  I've sorted that by turning the loco and train round and it's now fine.  I had to reprogramme the chip so that the driving coach is now forwards but that was easy (just add or deduct 1 from CV29.)

So, yesterday was a proper playday.  It didn't start well, though, as the 3-car DMU wouldn't respond to its address - neither motor, nor sound, nor lights.  I thought a wire from the track to the chip must have come off so I took the bogies and floor off and, guess what, the wires were all attached!!  I checked the circuits and there were no breaks, so I then tried adress "3" and it worked!!!  How it had got back to that, I don't know but a quick reprogramme of the address sorted that - mind you, the lights and sound then needed adjusting, too.

I found, as I've mentioned before, that the layout is quite full with all my stock on, but I've started working on a sequence which will hopefully sort that out.  Here's a couple of pics of the layout in use:

post-7571-0-76453800-1372367984_thumb.jpg

The above is of the staion area, and the 2 sidings and the DMU stabling point are clear.  The next is the fiddle yard which is a bit busier!!

post-7571-0-23379500-1372368017_thumb.jpg

There's a loco at the far end of each of the 3 rakes of stock.  There's room for 1 DMU then the parcels train has to come out, but that will have to arrive into one of the sidings as the platforms are both occupied.  It's a challenge and I really enjoy it!!

I'm now satisfied that the layout and stock work OK, so the next job is the catch points.  I'm using the Peco plan as a template, but referring to the C&L plans for the sleeper spacing.  Here's the plans set up on the work board.  I can't do any more yet as I've no double-sided tape left, but that will be sorted tomorrow.

post-7571-0-32888200-1372368043_thumb.jpg

So that's where I'm up to as of today.  More soon.  

Rod

PS    Thanks for all your "likes", etc - it's nice to know this stuff does get read!!!  I don't mind putting in my failures, either, as I hope it helps others to learn!!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 10

Hi all.

I was able to build the catch points over the weekend - well, apart from the tiebars which haven't arrived from JLTRT yet.  Mind you I only ordered them on Friday afternoon!!

I had enough rail left over to build them, with more than enough sleepers - most of which needed cutting down - and loads of chairs.    I used the Peco template for the curve, but spaced the sleepers according to the C&L templates I had left.  The Peco catch point only has one switch blade but the real West Kirby catch points have 2, so I put 2 on!!  These are the 2, awaiting the tiebars:

post-7571-0-32638200-1372708236_thumb.jpg

The tie bars you can see are actually on the Peco template (I had to look twice!!)  The right hand one is shorter than the other as I have less room to fit it in.  I wanted to make the left hand one longer than it is, but I didn't have enough rail for the full space I've got.  Peco track will fill the gap.  The note about "modelling board for points" is to remind me not to chuck it out, or chop it up for something else!!!  These are close ups of the 2:

post-7571-0-37571800-1372708268_thumb.jpg       post-7571-0-68642800-1372708300_thumb.jpg

On the left hand one, the left point blade seems to stand proud of the stock rail.  I hadn't noticed until I looked at the pic and went back to check it.  It is a bit proud, but only because the paper template on which it is built isn't dead flat on the board.  Pressing the middle sleeper flat to the board brings it back to the correct height.  Anyway, the tiebar will hold it down.

The right point blade is not a perfect fit against the stock rail but in that position its purpose is to derail anything going over it, so I'm not bothered about that!!

The right hand point uses a set of blades I had left over from another kit and needed only a little filing to get close fitting.  Those on the left were filed down from plain rail and I did a bit too much on the left hand blade.  However, close ups being cruel, it's not so obvious on the model.

Now I've got lights to fit to my 115, couplings to repair or replace on various pieces of rolling stock and then, when I've fitted these 2 points to the layout, ballast where the signals will be and then fit the signals.

Back with more soon.

Rod

• Like 8