West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

Happy new Year to you!

That's looking well Rod, are you going to scratchbuild the LMS signalbox to match that lovely pointwork?

Cheers

JF

Thanks, Jon.  Funny you should mention that as I've been thinking about building the box since Paul put the link on the thread a few days ago.  Scratchbuilding is a bit beyond me at the moment but I'm wondering if there's a kit I could "hack about"?  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful but otherwise I'll do some research.  Not just yet as I'm still ballasting, but soon.

Rod

Hi all.

I hope you are all recovered after last night's jollies and looking forward to another year's modelling.  I've done some more ballasting today - the DMU stabling sidings.  Pics herewith, showing said sidings from different directions:

post-7571-0-96586100-1388604882_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-44955500-1388604933_thumb.jpg

Next jobs are to trim the cork that's left showing and put ballast or some other sort of ground cover between the sidings.  The section outside I'll leave until the weather gets better.  I've 2 more signals to put outside and I'll do the ballasting then.

Next inside job is to add pickups to the non-powered bogies on each of the 115 power cars: by that time, the glue on the ballast should be reasonably dry so I'll try and do some videoing - without the platform, to start with!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 9

I've been popping in from time to time. It's not my scale but you had me at diesels. It's nice to see an O guage layout featuring them.

Keep the updates coming because I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

All the best in the forthcoming year!

Mark

Hi all.

This is my second attempt tonight - I'd got everything on before, then lost it.  I got a message saying "Web page expired".  The air got a bit blue.  So, .... I'll try again. 

I've been in the shed with my camera this evening and here are some stills and, if I've got it right, some videos.  First, the stills.  Beginning with an overview with most of the rolling stock on the layout, but no locos:

post-7571-0-61231500-1388699937_thumb.jpg

Next a front view of the 115 and the Thumper in the stabling sidings - note the destination blind on the 115 - courtesy of a friend who likes playing around with his printer:

post-7571-0-70941100-1388699957_thumb.jpg

Finally, a rear view of the 115 with a misaligned destination blind, courtesy of the same friend:

post-7571-0-76712300-1388699979_thumb.jpg

Now (if I've done it right!!) 4 videos.  They're on Youtube and the minimalist description is visible on there:

I do hope you can view them OK.  On the assumption you can, please let me know what you think of them - I'm eager to learn!!  I've tried to get a spotter's viewpoint because that's what I like to see but it's the viewers that count!!

Enough for now.  More soon.

Rod

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod,

Happy New Year to you! Well I can't believe its been 10 months since i last found the time to get on RMWeb seriously!  Wow haven't you been busy.  The layout looks great mate, and the ballasted track and signals are really giving it the air of a working station now, well done.  What are you planning scenery wise for the departure/arrival curve at the opposite end of the shed to the station?

I'm slowly progressing with my layout, although nowhere near at the speed that I wanted it to be!

Rich

• Like 1

That Thumper looks and sounds superb (well, as do all your DMUs) and the four-car especially snakes across your turnouts exactly as I suspected it would.

Nice video technique too – that kind of quality and focus on the subject can only be achieved by keeping the camera still :-)

D

Hi Rod,

Happy New Year to you! Well I can't believe its been 10 months since i last found the time to get on RMWeb seriously!  Wow haven't you been busy.  The layout looks great mate, and the ballasted track and signals are really giving it the air of a working station now, well done.  What are you planning scenery wise for the departure/arrival curve at the opposite end of the shed to the station?

I'm slowly progressing with my layout, although nowhere near at the speed that I wanted it to be!

Rich

Hi Rich.

As you might have gathered, scenery has never been my main interest, or forte, but I'm thinking that the road will come over the bridge (by the exit from the shed) and curve round at the back of that section and run off towards the station, disappearing behind buildings.  In the area inside the road, either scrub, or tennis courts/playing field (both of which appear on photos I've got of the area) or even an arboretum!!!  The last will depend on the cost of trees, unless I can learn to make my own!!  The ideas are still germinating!!

Rod

That Thumper looks and sounds superb (well, as do all your DMUs) and the four-car especially snakes across your turnouts exactly as I suspected it would.

Nice video technique too – that kind of quality and focus on the subject can only be achieved by keeping the camera still :-)

D

Hi David.

I managed to keep the camera still because I found I had a miniature tripod in one of my cupboards.  How long I've had it, or where it came from, I can't remember, but I suspect it was one of those things I kept "because it will come in useful some day"!!!

I've seen you've revived your thread.  Glad to see you've got your modelling mojo back.

Rod

Rod 

Just a thought - have you given any consideration to installing third rail and having some electrics - an O Gauge 507 would look the part although I don't believe anyone makes one! I am not volunteering!

regards

Paul

Rod 

Just a thought - have you given any consideration to installing third rail and having some electrics - an O Gauge 507 would look the part although I don't believe anyone makes one! I am not volunteering!

regards

Paul

Yes, Paul, I have thought about it - and it's still niggling away at the back of my brain!!

It started after I'd got Peter Clark's Thumper.  I like the look of it so much that I started looking at his EMUs, too.  Now, I don't know my HAPs from my CIGs or my VEPs but I did start to envisage a scenario where the 503s had for some reason been withdrawn so Southern Region EMUs were lent to Merseyrail.  However, it does mean I'd end up with much more stock than the layout could handle, as I still want the DMUs, so the whole thing is, realistically, little more than a pipe dream at the moment.

However, if someone brought out a 503 kit, that might be very different.  I'm not particularly taken by the 507/508s, even if a kit were available (or even RTR!!) but, as I say, a 503 would really get me thinking!!

It's nice to dream, but for the moment I'll stick to DMUs and my Thumper.  ...........  Maybe a blue Thumper some time??  But that's me dreaming again!!!

Rod

Ooh a blue thumper -now you're talking! Yes a 503 would be impressive and I don't think it's necessarily a way out thought to expect at kit at some point in the future. Kits of all sorts of strange things get made.

I have some Irish steam kits in O for a postulated retirement project centred on Courtmacsherry. given two of these were one offs it is surprising that kits are available. Now all I need is an A or C class diesel and some antiquated coaching stock and I am away! I have a lot of photos from a previous holiday and you can still trace the trackbed and the station still survives as a private house. The big question is whether to build at a scale 5'3" or compromise on 32mm track. Oh well I can dream until then.

Keep up the good work - your layout is a pleasure to follow

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi Rod

Just found this after your kind comments on my layout thread, after reading all 14 pages I am at a loss for words, superb modelling, it is what I want to achieve with my layout.it also backs up my decision to change to 7mm scale, it has a "presence" which 4mm seems to lack.

Ian

Drool drool!!!

I believe the 6 class 73/0 locos were allocated up to Merseyside at one time and finished in a yucky yellow colour.  PRMRP do a kit I think

Paul R

Yes, I believe there were 4 of them, Paul, with a fifth used for spares.  I think a couple were painted Merseyrail yellow and I've seen a video of one in large logo blue.  They were used for shunting, engineering, etc trains.  I did think about one, but I've 4 locos anyway (31, 33, 37 and 50) and I think that's enough.  I do like Peter Clark's 419 MLV as Mike mentions above.  But the 131 comes first!!

Rod