West Kirby Town: narrow gauge is coming to town.

Dmudriver

"I think the fence posts being different heights and slight off vertical adds to it.  When things like this are done by eye in real life everything isn't identical, so personally I'd go with that as being realistic! "

Thanks for that, Rich.  Glad for the confirmation that it looks realistic.  It actually came about because I was standing on a stool leaning over the layout, trying to drill holes vertically - not easy!!

Rod

PS   Yes, Switzerland was fantastic, made even better by 10 days of glorious blue skies and sunshine, with temperatures just nicely around 18 to 20.  We've been for years, staying in the Berner Oberland.  We just love it!!

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 2

Sounds Idylic. My wife and I spend a week in and around Lausanne many years ago and really enjoyed that. 

Back on topic - may I recommend some static grass clumps and tufts round the bottom of the fence

Paul R

Welcome back Rod, looks like you and Rose had a great time via your FB pictures, the fence is looking great, as others have said, no fence in real life is symetrical over a length such as you are modelling, and yes the clumps at the base of the posts will add to the realism.

Best regards

Craig,

Hi all.

I'm back - and thanks for keeping the thread alive while I've been away!!  Even if off-topic!!  And all because of a picture of a Reliant!!  Anyway, just to wind up the off-topic business, this was my first car:

attachicon.gif1955-ford-popular-1301436-8543289.jpg

The reg number was RKD 798.  What a car that was - apart from being very basic, the most memorable thing (for me, at least) was that the wiper (only 1!!) was vacuum operated, so virtually stopped wiping when the car was climbing a hill!!  Had a lot of fun in it, though - even without a heater!!

Anyway, back on topic.  I've been away on holiday to Switzerland, enjoying the mountains, lakes, rivers, clean and  fresh air, glorious sunshine, beer, wine and food - and of course the company of my other half!!  Notice no mention of railways!!  I keep an eye open as to what's going on but to be honest we just marvel at their efficiency and that of the transport system as a whole.  Well, generally - there were a couple of blips but nothing too drastic.

Prior to going away I was a bit busy so didn't get much done but now I'm back I'm taking advantage of the absence of stock on the layout to get on with the rear fencing.  [i take virtually everything out of the shed into storage in the house when I go away - I just left the rakes of Heljan Mark 1s and parcels stock in the shed.]

The fencing is progressing and here is where I'm up to:  it's been set up round the signal box and finished just beyond - I've no posts left now!!

attachicon.gif2018-10-24 143807-2382925 - Copy.JPG

Next is a track level view around the box:

attachicon.gif2018-10-24 133037-2026771.JPG

and finally, a look from platform 2:

attachicon.gifIMG_4274 - Copy.JPG

It's beginning to look OK, I think.  Not all the posts are exactly the same height, or dead vertical, but I can live with that!!  Next job is to put gravel and vegetation behind the fence and then I'll fit the fence permanently and all of it will be behind the posts - it's only in front in places to hold it loosely in place.  

So, progress is being made, even if slowly!!  More soon.

Rod

Nice posts, BR labourers "workmanship" at its best!

You really should include the base of the water crane behind the bracket signal for a bit of "history", as far as I know, its still there....  (Next time I go to Aldi, I'll have a peek through the fence to check)

• Like 2

Sounds Idylic. My wife and I spend a week in and around Lausanne many years ago and really enjoyed that. 

Back on topic - may I recommend some static grass clumps and tufts round the bottom of the fence

Paul R

Next job on the list, Paul - along with the gravel!!

Rod

Nice posts, BR labourers "workmanship" at its best!

You really should include the base of the water crane behind the bracket signal for a bit of "history", as far as I know, its still there....  (Next time I go to Aldi, I'll have a peek through the fence to check)

It certainly was in 2012 when I did a site visit - pic here:

post-7571-0-77329300-1540593253_thumb.jpg

It needs blowing up a bit to see it!!

Rod

• Like 3

I've been to Preston 0 Gauge Group's Open Day today and seen one of Heljan's blue 25/3s in action.

All I can say is "Tasty, tasty, very very tasty."!!!

I'm very tempted but as I've already got a 25/3 (JLTRT) I just cannot justify it.   

It really is nice, though!!

Rod

PS   Note to self:   keep saying "I cannot justify it" !!!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Signs of life - from me, that is!!!  I've done a bit more work at the back of the layout - adding more gravel and greenery.   Pics here:

First, the gravel outside the fence round the signal box.  Once the fence is in, I'll add the gravel and grass round the base of the box:

post-7571-0-75247300-1542235631_thumb.jpg

Next, opposite the platform ends:

post-7571-0-40474000-1542235644_thumb.jpg

And finally, in the middle of the row of house backs.

post-7571-0-98213500-1542235618_thumb.jpg

Once I've made sure I've got all the loose stuff up it'll be time for the fence to be fitted, then to fill in between the track and the fence.  

Slow progress but I'm getting there!!

Rod

• Like 12

Hi Simon.

Thanks for your comments.  I hear (or read!!) what you say about the ballast, but what I have used is very much finer than the track ballast (which I suspect is overscale anyway, but I wanted the latter to look like ballast!!).  I can't disagree about the gravel I've used but, to be honest, I had loads of it in stock for a reason that now escapes me (!!) so I decided to use it up.

Your comment did get me wondering about how far the detail should go and that led me on to think about what we each want out of railway modelling.  I think I've said it before, but my main interest is passenger terminal operations.  I want the layout to look right operationally but I have had to make compromises - such as the wider flangeways than I'd ideally like (ideally I wanted to use 0-MF), plus using Peco points (even though modified) and Peco track.  The reason for the compromises are the size of the layout I decided to build and the time and skills to get it reasonably complete.  Running-wise I've achieved the latter and now I want to create the background in which it runs.  If I'd been of an artistic bent I suspect I'd have been an impressionist: if the background to the railway looks reasonably right and gives a reasonable impression, that will do me.  Obviously, things would be different if I only had a 6' plank, for example - then I'd have the time to be much more accurate.  My thinking is that if I do get the whole layout looking right then I can go back and fine tune - or fine detail!!

That being said, there are some thinnish patches in the gravel where the baseboard paint shows through and I had thought of puddles.  I was going to use gloss varnish: is there a better way?

The bushes/shrubs and shorter vegetation is all Woodland Scenics which I've used because my local model shop is a stockist!!!

Rod

Hi all.

I've managed to get a bit more scenery done and here are a coupler of taster pics:

post-7571-0-13799100-1542638553_thumb.jpg

post-7571-0-65626200-1542638570_thumb.jpg

I've added a couple of strands of wire** above the concrete panelling to bring them level with the top of the fence and glued a strip and a half of fencing to the posts.  I tried various methods such as superglue and/or Bostik but I've found the most effective way is neat PVA down the back of the posts and then clamp the fence to it for a few hours.  It may not stand up to rough treatment but the layout is not planned to go anywhere and derailments, if any, on that back road  should be at very low speed so hopefully any damage would be minimal.

I'll add some more pics once the fence has been extended and I've got the station buildings back in place.  So far, I'm quite chuffed!!

Rod

**  Actually grey cotton!!

• Like 9

Hi Rod,

I’ve said before that I think the layout looks brilliant, and I’d hate to give any other impression. (And even if I were being overly critical you’d be 110% right to say “rule 1” and ignore me!). It is an interesting question, “what do we want out of our models?”, I think it’s well worth asking that question of oneself from time to time, helps to concentrate on the priorities.

Actually, seeing the fences, the gardens are pretty well hidden behind them, so I think my suggestion is probably not important anyway.

I’m no expert on puddles, but suggestions I’ve seen include PVA glue, microscope slides, varnish & two-pack water. I do recall Steve Fay doing puddles on his Cardiff Canton model, and there are some on Simon’s Heaton Lodge Junction too. Might be worth having a browse.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Hi all.

Just a bit more progress.  Here's a view of how it's looking with a fair bit done:

post-7571-0-16815400-1542923108_thumb.jpg

Once the fencing and associated gravel and greenery is finished I'll glue the lamps in permanently - so the blobs of white Blutack will disappear!!

Here's a pic that I won't be using anywhere!!!

post-7571-0-07496800-1542923130_thumb.jpg

It shows one of my shortcuts - not putting brickwork on the rear platform sides and the rather ragged paving!!  However, from a normal viewing angle that isn't seen.   The other thing it shows up are the holes in the posts for supporting wires.  But again, from a normal viewing angle, they're not obvious either and photos of the real thing don't show any wires, anyway.  as here, for example:

post-7571-0-73250000-1542924041.jpg

Finally, this is what's off camera - the next section with PVA applied and drying off (hopefully) in the shed with the heater on:

post-7571-0-69264300-1542923157_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Rod

• Like 15

Hi Rod.

It is nice to see that you are human after all!!! I would not worry about the rear face of the platform as it will never be seen in normal use. I have not looked at the rear face of the platform on Ramchester but I suspect mine is probably a lot worse than yours. Must get my camera out and take a look.

Rod

Hi all.

I've got up to the signal box area!!  So that will be it for a while - I want to get the stock back on and have a bit of a play an operating session!!  Having said that, though, I'm that pleased with what I've done that I might well crack on with the area around the box after I've satisfied the operating craving!!

Anyway, here are a few pics: first, an overall view of the latest bit of work - taken from the canopy roof:

post-7571-0-93292500-1543275267_thumb.jpg

then a view across the platform ramps:

post-7571-0-48618400-1543275290_thumb.jpg

A little cameo outside the factory:

post-7571-0-02028800-1543275309_thumb.jpg

Finally, where the fence is very close to the buildings, there's no way through as the bushes have grown a bit!!  A bit awkward for the residents - maybe some of them will start clearing the bushes!!   And the vegetation is beginning to spread across the track!!

post-7571-0-77655200-1543275322_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Rod

Edited by Dmudriver
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

As a break from all this Christmas stuff (!!) I've done some bits and pieces on the railway.  Firstly, the on-loan 101 has returned to its home depot but fortunately for the residents of the Wirral coast, a replacement has been found - a Class 103:

post-7571-0-58100500-1544826310_thumb.jpg post-7571-0-16996500-1544826339_thumb.jpg

It's been transferred in a bit of a hurry as the destination blinds are showing "Man Vic via Oldham" on this end and "Oldham" at the other!!  Probably hand-written notices in the cab fronts are called for!!  Thanks for the loan, Dave.

Another job has been to clear up something glaring with the Mark 1s.  I replaced the Heljan bogies with Easybuild ones some time ago and never got round to weathering them.  Here's what they were like:

post-7571-0-13341000-1544828744_thumb.jpg

Now they look like this:

post-7571-0-34257000-1544826364_thumb.jpg  post-7571-0-91088600-1544826467_thumb.jpg 

Nothing too fancy - just frame dirt or sleeper grime brushed on - but they look better (to my eye, at least!!)   The next glaring omission to rectify is the lack of fleet numbers on them.  That's (almost) the next job.  I had been thinking of replacing them with the Dapol ones with the window frames when they come out but these are not too bad.  Yes, I know about the tumblehome but I'm an operator first and foremost and they are mainly viewed from the side anyway.  I've decided to live with them: they run well which is the most important thing.

I was also looking through Hatton's sale webpage  and saw some 1:43 scale cars so bought a couple.  They're still in the boxes - I bought (without really thinking!!) Collectors' editions - but hey, they're cars and I'll just keep them on the layout and keep the boxes for the future!!  I also found on Amazon a much cheaper Fiat 500 and it seems the local factory has a foreign buyer visiting (the car's left-hand drive!!)

post-7571-0-02415100-1544826504_thumb.jpg  

It's much bigger than the other Fiat 500 which also claims to be 1:43 scale.  I'll take a comparison photo soon.

Finally, I'm constantly thinking about what to do with the big expanse of board I've got left and found, yesterday a fire station by KS Laser Designs, here:  https://kslaserdesigns.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=62_112  Complete with training tower!!  As it happens, in 1976 there was a new fire station being built next to the railway station as in this pic from "Merseyside Electrics":

post-7571-0-79503300-1544827968_thumb.jpg

The problem is I can't find any 1:43 British fire engines - plenty of foreign ones and British in 1:76 scale - other than Land Rover ones.  These latter do look nice but has anyone any ideas where I might get a "proper" one?  Has anyone converted a foreign one?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

More soon.

Rod

• Like 6

Hello Rod, ooh the Park Royal 103 looks nice, do you know it provenance?

I have a Worsley Works etched sides and ends to build in the stash.

Best regards

Craig

attachicon.gif07E33DF7-789B-4521-8198-9849E5557DBB.jpeg

HI Craig.

I don't know at the moment, but I'll find out for you.  I'm pretty certain it's etched brass, though.

Rod