Street Running in the USA or Canada

trisonic

At least they are running with the short hood forwards into the direction of traffic, the next working will have the loco the other way round. The propelling move to get there is with the street traffic direction and has to be seen to be believed- a brakeman rides on vestibule with a radio, and whistle/brake dump valve connected to the air hose.

In a novel by Mario Puzo (the Godfather author) describing life among poor Italian immigrants in New York in the 20's,  one of the characters has a job where he rides a horse through Hell's Kitchen waving a red flag to warn of the NYC train coming through the tenement area to the main rail yard.  Now that would make an interesting diorama!  For the life of me I can't recall the title, I did read it a while ago but the rice pudding between my ears won't regurgitate the name.

In a novel by Mario Puzo (the Godfather author) describing life among poor Italian immigrants in New York in the 20's,  one of the characters has a job where he rides a horse through Hell's Kitchen waving a red flag to warn of the NYC train coming through the tenement area to the main rail yard.  Now that would make an interesting diorama!  For the life of me I can't recall the title, I did read it a while ago but the rice pudding between my ears won't regurgitate the name.

Any of these sound familiar? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Puzo#Works

This used to be a steam NG line once upon a time.  (Santa Cruz, CA.) They had street running in both gauges from about 1860 on, and even a wharf (pier) sticking out into the Bay.

Andy

The fabled South Pacific Coast 3 foot gauge Railroad that ran from Oakland to Santa Cruz although I am not sure it ran along the boardwalk as a narrow gauge.  Purchased by the Southern Pacific and standard gauged starting in 1905. Had a minor interruption in April 1906 (fault of an earthquake). Finished shortly thereafter. Became the route of the weekend Suntan Specials from San Francisco through the Santa Cruz Mountains to the beach resort town of Santa Cruz (a Broadstairs with warm weather. Summer in San Francisco is cold and windy and you almost never see the sun except for an hour each side of noon.). The remnant runs today as a standard gauged tourist operation between Santa Cruz and Felton in the Santa Cruz mountains. 

Edited by autocoach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a “follow up” photo to the above:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=505419&nseq=0

Those guys do good restorations.

A different shot of it’s movement from Garfield to Boonton, NJ

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=504305&nseq=5

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

I'd expect nothing less of a BMW driver..... :P ;)

Given that the train is blocking the cross roads, his wrong side of the street maneuver is understandable. The train position is also a bit risky, given the snow covered down hill on the right.

Anyone know whether the strange 2 light signals are for the railroad instead of the cars? Or what else they might be?

Andy

Anyone know whether the strange 2 light signals are for the railroad instead of the cars? Or what else they might be?

Andy

Some kind of "flashing Red" linked into the grade crossing lights, stopping left turns for road traffic when there is a train in section...? Edited by 298