Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

Interesting event while running this afternoon, my O1 made a cloud of rather whiffy smoke, and while it continued to run wasn't quite as glacially smooth in movement as I have come to expect.

A quick check revealed that it was now only picking up on the tender wheelsets. Getting the loco body off was fun, the black tack Hornby use to dress the wiring was holding the cab end of the loco rather positively on the chassis once the screws were out.

Having dissected the mess it would appear that the wires from the loco pick ups somehow shorted and burned through at soldered joints concealed inside the black tack. The resulting heat melted the solder, and well softened the black tack for enhanced stickyness. (All this without tripping out the DCC system.) Easy enough to set right, but I am wondering whether this might be some materials incompatibility between the wire insulation and the black tack, that made  the insulation conductive enough to pass enough current to initiate the heating that melted the soldered joints and softened the black tack.

• Like 1

Reckless of you to actually run a super-detailed model!  Surely they are too fragile for this?  I use the motor to set the driving-wheel motion to the desired position for a photo, but running on a layout... oh dear, you do live dangerously!   <g>

edit; you've probably seen this before, but it is a lovely model...

post-7929-0-86858400-1395689529_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

The really good news is that overall the more accurate rendition of prototype appearance has not come at any cost to running reliability and longevity, rather the reverse.

The first of what I regard as Hornby's 'golden patch' of steam loco models and the one I have owned and run longest, the Britannia, has proved to be rock solid for reliability. My cyclic operation through the steam to diesel transition 56 - 62, means the Brits operate approximately one month in six representing their relatively brief regular service on the ECML. But when asked to go after five months standing, they are just as smooth from the first turn of the wheel as they were when last run.

The only real trouble with a golden patch model, prior to this incident on the O1, was the dated 'two pivot' pony truck on the L1s which had to be modified to single pivot for reliable tracking especially over point work ladders. With the O1 keeper plates having to be removed I was able to look closely at the two pivot truck on this loco to see if I could divine the reason for its trouble free performance, And I have it. The O1 truck had minimal fore and aft slop, because of the shaping of the curved guides in which the pivot points engage. These guides narrow slightly mid way, and that means the fore and aft movement is minimised. A little more bending inwards of the outer part of the guides eliminated all fore and aft movement, and yet the truck would still pivot adequately and restores to straight alignment after curves very positively. There will ultimately be wear on the plastic pivot points, but eventually it can go single pivot if this becomes troublesome.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi. if any one is interested there's a Hornby 01 late crest clearance on Ebay at the moment { damaged boxes } £95.00 all in say it quick but not bad  more then 10 available just ordered one after watching a review on yotube was saving for a b1 but this loco looks superb on a long freight could not resist one

Good deal, given the present trend in prices. If you haven't got a Hornby B1, then it's of the same standard as the O1 once you have that to look at and run. Just to throw further temptation in your path, the L1 and B17, which were the other two in the LNER loco quartet released from about 2011 - 12, are of the same standard. Hopefully they will be back to this level for the D16, J15 and K1...

Good deal, given the present trend in prices. If you haven't got a Hornby B1, then it's of the same standard as the O1 once you have that to look at and run. Just to throw further temptation in your path, the L1 and B17, which were the other two in the LNER loco quartet released from about 2011 - 12, are of the same standard. Hopefully they will be back to this level for the D16, J15 and K1...

Yes my friend Have a b17 Thorpe Hall superb loco runs like a swiss watch. b1 next when this months wages go's in bank D16 and J15 on pre order. K1 or L1 christmas present with luck. All BR late crest for me like to have a Green diesel run every now and then a nice brush :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes the Hornby 01 was one of the best locomotives to come from them, and out of interest here is a photo of one on my layout.post-22631-0-70456500-1400107741_thumb.jpg I should add it is not running wrong line - it is a single track railway.

Sorry about the askew pony, didn't notice it until afterwards!

All the best,

Market65.

I have to say that the B1 O1 L1 and B17 are all great RTR models and it really will be interesting to see if the standard can be retained with new factories, suppliers and assembly workers with the aforementioned upcoming D16 J15 and K1. I am presuming that Hornby will be past the Sanda Kan era by then.

It seems that most buyers who read RMweb would endure increased prices if the high standard can be maintained or improved upon, albeit their spending might not cover so many unit sales.

Meanwhile, I look at my 2001 model Merchant Navy and wonder where the progress is in the decade after its release, and it was in such as the B17 O1 and such as the Clan, with very fine mouldings such this illustrated below... certainly this standard will be hard to maintain at prices within cooee of current ones, but as ever I am wandering off-thread.

post-7929-0-95056700-1400110431.jpg

• Like 1

I have to say that the B1 O1 L1 and B17 are all great RTR models and it really will be interesting to see if the standard can be retained with new factories, suppliers and assembly workers with the aforementioned upcoming D16 J15 and K1. I am presuming that Hornby will be past the Sanda Kan era by then.

It seems that most buyers who read RMweb would endure increased prices if the high standard can be maintained or improved upon, albeit their spending might not cover so many unit sales.

Meanwhile, I look at my 2001 model Merchant Navy and wonder where the progress is in the decade after its release, and it was in such as the B17 O1 and such as the Clan, with very fine mouldings such this illustrated below... certainly this standard will be hard to maintain at prices within cooee of current ones, but as ever I am wandering off-thread.

attachicon.gif$_3b_r800.jpg

The J15 I think is going to be a hell of a seller if they get it right. A loco for here there and every wear. Lets hope for the best. Mind you i do have two on order

• Like 1

... it really will be interesting to see if the standard can be retained with new factories, suppliers and assembly workers with the aforementioned upcoming D16 J15 and K1. I am presuming that Hornby will be past the Sanda Kan era by then.

It seems that most buyers who read RMweb would endure increased prices if the high standard can be maintained or improved upon, albeit their spending might not cover so many unit sales...

Those models will very definitely have no Sanda Kan involvement if the information received is correct: essentially that Hornby have made a final payment to get a few final runs of existing models in the first half of 2014, and the legacy tooling built up with SK released into Hornby's hands; and that's the end of any SK involvement with Hornby, so they are totally dependent on new suppliers.

I am 'easy' with the situation. It would be good if they can maintain or better yet build on the standards previously achieved, once they are bedded in with the new suppliers. If they cannot, but still turn out mechanically sound and overall accurate models, perhaps with less detail, well and good. Price will decide whether or no they are decent value in either case.

Any return to the bad old days of easily recognisable compromised accuracy for manufacturing economy, weak mechanisms, traction tyres, (name your bete noire here) and that will see them on my 'do not purchase' list, just as they were when the Margate Tatstream was their product. I'll remain grateful for the good stuff we have had, mind.

Those models will very definitely have no Sanda Kan involvement if the information received is correct: essentially that Hornby have made a final payment to get a few final runs of existing models in the first half of 2014, and the legacy tooling built up with SK released into Hornby's hands; and that's the end of any SK involvement with Hornby, so they are totally dependent on new suppliers.

I am 'easy' with the situation. It would be good if they can maintain or better yet build on the standards previously achieved, once they are bedded in with the new suppliers. If they cannot, but still turn out mechanically sound and overall accurate models, perhaps with less detail, well and good. Price will decide whether or no they are decent value in either case.

Any return to the bad old days of easily recognisable compromised accuracy for manufacturing economy, weak mechanisms, traction tyres, (name your bete noire here) and that will see them on my 'do not purchase' list, just as they were when the Margate Tatstream was their product. I'll remain grateful for the good stuff we have had, mind.

You know I herd  Bachmann had the J15 on the cards. And left it for Hornby We have waited so long for a J15 RTR i do hope it comes along

I agree wholeheartedly that price and value are the drivers for the future for Hornby, and they may have learned valuable lessons in setting up their alternative suppliers for 2014-on.

While I am unashamedly a 'large BR steam' buyer (never really lost the thrill of seeing an express going by behind a steam engine) I get great pleasure in owning and photographing the excellent RTR 00 models we already have, and look forward to more.

And 34theletterbetweenB&D your insightful comments about mechanical and chassis issues are always appreciated too.

Having missed these when they came out, I have just bought a late crest one off  the Hornby website as "damaged packaging stock" for £89.99.

My example didn't have damaged packaging, but did have a misfitted bodyshell which I have sorted out - the thing now sits perfectly and runs even better. With bearings on the driving axles and a huge motor, this has to be one of the best RTR steamers we've had!

A question for readers if I may. The tender top behind the coal space has two small holes, and I wonder if anyone knows what they are for. Unless I've lost a bit there's nothing included in the accessory pack that looks as if it should be there, and so I'm stumped!

Many thanks,  John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Hello John

Don't know, but I had guessed air vents for the water tank below.

My model also has two very tiny holes near the water filler.  The unopened detail pack contains engine and tender brake gear, two steps and a dummy front coupling.  So nothing to block the small holes

As to Hornby';s 'damaged packaging'  - my first foray was brand new unused with damaged packaging.  The following two purchases (one of which I returned) were very obviously shop rejects and were not perhaps such good value.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

Having missed these when they came out, I have just bought a late crest one off  the Hornby website as "damaged packaging stock" for £89.99.

My example didn't have damaged packaging, but did have a misfitted bodyshell which I have sorted out - the thing now sits perfectly and runs even better. With bearings on the driving axles and a huge motor, this has to be one of the best RTR steamers we've had!

A question for readers if I may. The tender top behind the coal space has two small holes, and I wonder if anyone knows what they are for. Unless I've lost a bit there's nothing included in the accessory pack that looks as if it should be there, and so I'm stumped!

Many thanks,  John.

John,

Some LNER tenders (not sure about GCR) had drainage holes in the area you mention, this being for those occasions where a little too much water was taken on. To the best of my memory Bachmann replicated this in the LNER group standard tenders it produced for the J39/B1.

You know I heard  Bachmann had the J15 on the cards. And left it for Hornby We have waited so long for a J15 RTR i do hope it comes along

Cannot remember which thread that was in, but it was on here somewhere that Bach were also underway on a J15 but stopped work on it at the time of the Hornby announcement. I should have preferred the J15 from Bach, simply because it would be more likely to be readily available than a need to pre-order and then hope enough stock comes in. But I already have my old Stephen Poole kit indifferently running so have this one covered. (It has a service attention intensive chassis 'design'.)

But perhaps Bachmann will feel inclined to do one of the many other LNER Southern area 0-6-0 or 0-6-0T types also begging for a model which would integrate well with the plentifully available heavy power for the main line. (I have this theory that the LNER's 'big engine' association has led to the general neglect of its many more numerous small types. It is quite hilarious that until the J11 was produced, there was literally nothing in RTR tender freight power smaller than BR 5F rating...)

Cannot remember which thread that was in, but it was on here somewhere that Bach were also underway on a J15 but stopped work on it at the time of the Hornby announcement. I should have preferred the J15 from Bach, simply because it would be more likely to be readily available than a need to pre-order and then hope enough stock comes in. But I already have my old Stephen Poole kit indifferently running so have this one covered. (It has a service attention intensive chassis 'design'.)

But perhaps Bachmann will feel inclined to do one of the many other LNER Southern area 0-6-0 or 0-6-0T types also begging for a model which would integrate well with the plentifully available heavy power for the main line. (I have this theory that the LNER's 'big engine' association has led to the general neglect of its many more numerous small types. It is quite hilarious that until the J11 was produced, there was literally nothing in RTR tender freight power smaller than BR 5F rating...)

Paul, A J50 was rumoured a little while back - can't remember where - possibly the lner forum.

Hello John

Don't know, but I had guessed air vents for the water tank below.

My model also has two very tiny holes near the water filler.  The unopened detail pack contains engine and tender brake gear, two steps and a dummy front coupling.  So nothing to block the small holes

As to Hornby';s 'damaged packaging'  - my first foray was brand new unused with damaged packaging.  The following two purchases (one of which I returned) were very obviously shop rejects and were not perhaps such good value.

Regards

Ray

I think the 'shop rejects' are normally returned Modelzone stock - as such they're not so much rejects as repossessions. I hadn't intended to buy an 01 but came across an LNER one in Hamleys marked down to £75. It even still had the Modelzone label stuck to the underside suggesting it had been in one of their display cabinets. So it's not secondhand or a reject but is ex-display. At that price I wasn't bothered!

Hello Andy

Don't know about Model Zone but the items I was less than happy with had been taken out of their boxes and used. The tissue paper was well torn, some of the packing materials were missing, and the tissue paper (and wheels) were blackened with carbon. In one case the handrails were broken and some other details were broken off. I would say returned stock - definitely not brand new 'unopened'.

Regards

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have had similarly 'worn' packaging from Hornby retailers who have stock which may be years old, may have been opened and test-run and rejected by potential buyers, and has accordingly been discounted by the retailer after a bit of bargaining.

I think what we DON'T want is mis-representation. A claim that something is new and unopened when clearly it has been opened and possibly run on dirty track, or has some other history which is even worse, like bought second hand and fraudulently offered as new.

I tend to buy from sellers who want to keep a good reputation, and sometimes pay a little more for the mutual trust which goes both ways in such sales.

Hi Ray,

I have had similarly 'worn' packaging from Hornby retailers who have stock which may be years old, may have been opened and test-run and rejected by potential buyers, and has accordingly been discounted by the retailer after a bit of bargaining.

I think what we DON'T want is mis-representation. A claim that something is new and unopened when clearly it has been opened and possibly run on dirty track, or has some other history which is even worse, like bought second hand and fraudulently offered as new.

I tend to buy from sellers who want to keep a good reputation, and sometimes pay a little more for the mutual trust which goes both ways in such sales.

The 01 I got off Ebay from Hornby as damaged packaging has come and is in as new condition box also everything still sealed And runs superb £95.00 well spent

Thanks Rob

An item very similar to the one I returned popped back up on the Hornby site but the first line of the description had changed to 'ex display'.  It was still brand new and unopened!

I feel that Hornby are on a very slippery slope - we have had the plastic engraved name plates and now we have returned and damaged goods marketed as new and unopened.

Regards

Ray

After reading the reviews I bit the bullet and ordered a Thompson 01 from Hornby Hobbies on Ebay with the all in price of £94.98. I must say I am not let down. The packaging was perfect and the model untouched since leaving the factory. It is in the new style packaging which did take some time to remove. I have run the loco in this evening and perfect from the first volts through the motor. So smooth! On the service details instructions it has the reference SK101-89878.

This 01 is about the nearest I am going to get a Q6 at Consett!

Good luck and hope you have the same results as I have had with my purchase, unless you want to wait until August and pay around £125.

• Like 2

After reading the reviews I bit the bullet and ordered a Thompson 01 from Hornby Hobbies on Ebay with the all in price of £94.98. I must say I am not let down. The packaging was perfect and the model untouched since leaving the factory. It is in the new style packaging which did take some time to remove. I have run the loco in this evening and perfect from the first volts through the motor. So smooth! On the service details instructions it has the reference SK101-89878.

This 01 is about the nearest I am going to get a Q6 at Consett!

Good luck and hope you have the same results as I have had with my purchase, unless you want to wait until August and pay around £125.

Good to hear As i said mine was as good as yours well worth the price and a superb looking loco as well

• 1 year later...

Gratuitous bump alert ⚠ after nearly two years!

I've a kinda hankering but then again no desperate need for one of these, maybe, meh, at the right price...

A Google search for pre owned examples resulted in very little. Anyone aware of a reissue of this model, anytime? Given the basically positive feedback are Hornby missing a trick not re-running a batch?

C6T.