Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

• RMweb Premium

Gratuitous bump alert ⚠ after nearly two years!

I've a kinda hankering but then again no desperate need for one of these, maybe, meh, at the right price...

A Google search for pre owned examples resulted in very little. Anyone aware of a reissue of this model, anytime? Given the basically positive feedback are Hornby missing a trick not re-running a batch?

C6T.

You should be able to buy one of these some time this year:

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/steam-locomotives/lner-2-8-0-6359-class-o1.html

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, should they do a BR version, I'll be well in.

C6T.

A BR version is scheduled...

Thanks David, I thought there was, which is why I browsed the Hornby web site but must have missed that one ...

..... Anyone aware of a reissue of this model, anytime? Given the basically positive feedback are Hornby missing a trick not re-running a batch?

Given Hornby's apparent current problems (mostly financial), I wonder if another run of O1s is a priority.

But that's a recent revelation 'Orse, I'm surprised a reissue hasn't happened in the two years in-between, given the acclaim received on release.

But then maybe two years is a short time in these instances...(and a long time to me because I've decided, actually, I would like one?).

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

But that's a recent revelation 'Orse, I'm surprised a reissue hasn't happened in the two years in-between, given the acclaim received on release.

But then maybe two years is a short time in these instances...(and a long time to me because I've decided, actually, I would like one?).

C6T.

Acclaim and sales aren't necessarily the same thing. My local dealer still had one of the first lot hanging around until just before Christmas. 

John

Indeed John, don't mind me, I'm waffling. I also haven't looked that hard for one truth be told, so my perception of they've all been sold and MUST be reissued is purely for my own selfish needs!

C6T.

...I've decided, actually, I would like one....

Here's one solution then.

http://www.ehattons.com/148851/Hornby_R3088_U_Thompson_Class_O1_steam_locomotive_2_8_0_LNER_3755_DCC_Ready_Pre_owned_imperf/StockDetail.aspx

...I'm surprised a reissue hasn't happened in the two years in-between, given the acclaim received on release.

But then maybe two years is a short time in these instances...

It is a fine model, and the acclaim was well deserved. Only the retailers and Hornby know what the commercial result was, and whether there is sufficient market demand for a follow on release.

Personally I found it a surprising subject choice. If it had to be an Eastern 2-8-0, the GNR/LNER 02 class was larger on a numbers in service basis, and offers distinctively different variations from the pre-group period and right through the LNER's existence into BR service. The yet better option for an LNER goods would have been the J6, a real 'missing link' in the ability to model the Southern half of the ECML using RTR items. I have bought an O1, a relative rarity among the WD's and 9Fs that dominated BR period heavy freight on the ECML. and that's it, just one. I have more O4s,  and will have more O2s because of their variations.The J6, I will buy half a dozen should we ever be lucky enough to see one RTR: a very useful loco indeed for someone interested in the former GNR and its continuation within the LNER and BR(ER).

Was the choice not made because, as with the K1, there's a commonality of parts with the B1?

A similar reason I'd think for Hornby doing the classes sharing the ex-GER short tender, and less so perhaps for Bachmann to do the K3 after the B1 and J39 (although if you were going to pick three LNER prototypes to do, you'd be hard pressed to pick a trio of more marketable engines, tender duplication being a bonus).

C6T.

Was the choice not made because, as with the K1, there's a commonality of parts with the B1?...

I doubt it. The commonalities of the O1 with the B1 in reality, do not really help overmuch with a model, other than perhaps having the dimensions of the 100A boiler on file. It's subtly different 'everywhere' from the B1, and has a GCR design tender which Hornby didn't have in their range. (With Bachmann having already tooled up all the GCR design tender locos of any longevity in service in good numbers, there's little prospect for Hornby being able to re-use that tender for other models either.)

As I posted before, the O1 struck me as something of an odd choice. The O2 with a far greater time span in operation, more variations, pre-group liveries and all; and a tender eminently suited to other GNR design locos would have been a better bet in my opinion. But Heljan have now done the business there and rather nice it is too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I thought at the time that if anybody was going to make an O1 it would more naturally have fallen to Bachmann given that they already had the O4 in their range, from which the O1 was rebuilt and retained the O4's GC tenders.

• 3 years later...
On 02/03/2016 at 12:23, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Here's one solution then.

http://www.ehattons.com/148851/Hornby_R3088_U_Thompson_Class_O1_steam_locomotive_2_8_0_LNER_3755_DCC_Ready_Pre_owned_imperf/StockDetail.aspx

It is a fine model, and the acclaim was well deserved. Only the retailers and  know what the commercial result was, and whether there is sufficient market demand for a follow on release.

Personally I found it a surprising subject choice. If it had to be an Eastern 2-8-0, the GNR/LNER 02 class was larger on a numbers in service basis, and offers distinctively different variations from the pre-group period and right through the LNER's existence into BR service. The yet better option for an LNER goods would have been the J6, a real 'missing link' in the ability to model the Southern half of the ECML using RTR items. I have bought an O1, a relative rarity among the WD's and 9Fs that dominated BR period heavy freight on the ECML. and that's it, just one. I have more O4s,  and will have more O2s because of their variations.The J6, I will buy half a dozen should we ever be lucky enough to see one RTR: a very useful loco indeed for someone interested in the former GNR and its continuation within the LNER and BR(ER).

The J6 is a real missing link in rtr. My Grandfather worked for Albert Course, of Burys farm, near Biggleswade.

Most of the produce from the farm went to London by train. Apparently Mr Course was once entertained by

some GNR Directors, such was the value of his business to the GNR.

Two images I once saw of his produce being loaded at Biggleswade, had a J6 on the front, just the sort of job

they were built for.

For sentimental reasons, count me in for one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1