Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

Mine arrived this morning.

post-6764-0-86269300-1353757294_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-01396800-1353757328_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-73044400-1353757307_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-09728000-1353757319_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-56864900-1353757336_thumb.jpg

Slight issue with the drawbar in that when the loco sits on the rails, the rear tender wheels are lifted. Some fiddling should sort it mind.

Also, first time on a recent super detailed locomotive from either Hornby or Bachmann, the drain cocks were ready attached. Brake gear, steps and couplings are supplied in a bag still.

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 10

Does it have Hornby's new type of packing? Ice cube type if I got it correct or is it still in those two-piece foam trays?

It's the new type packaging. :)

Looks a cracker - What's it like in the haulage department ? Do you reckon it will handle 40 mineral wagons ?

I am a little dissapointed with my Bachmann ROD 04, slips with 20 on AND it is weighted.

Brit15

Mine arrived this morning.

post-6764-0-86269300-1353757294_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-01396800-1353757328_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-73044400-1353757307_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-09728000-1353757319_thumb.jpg

post-6764-0-56864900-1353757336_thumb.jpg

Slight issue with the drawbar in that when the loco sits on the rails, the rear tender wheels are lifted. Some fiddling should sort it mind.

Also, first time on a recent super detailed locomotive from either Hornby or Bachmann, the drain cocks were ready attached. Brake gear, steps and couplings are supplied in a bag still.

ROD Tender ? is that correct for a O1 ? Loco looks very nice !!

Has anyone else had trouble removing their lovely Hornby 01 from the plastic packaging? The one I got from Cheltenham Models was wedged in so tightly that I had to cut the rectangular "tube" lengthways before I could get to the innermost packing and get the loco out.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else had trouble removing their lovely Hornby 01 from the plastic packaging? The one I got from Cheltenham Models was wedged in so tightly that I had to cut the rectangular "tube" lengthways before I could get to the innermost packing and get the loco out.

[/quot

A feature of all new Hornby Steam locos..Set it down on a flat,safe surface and gently prise the packaging apart, The good news.....no more fiddling with that microscopically infernal plug into the tender .Hallelujah and Amen!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes. I've just followed Ian's advice above, which worked well but I was surprised at the amount of force needed to slide the inner packaging from the sleeve. The man at Monk Bar Models had even more difficulty getting it back in the packaging after he'd test run it for me yesterday, and commented they'd had similar difficulty with other Hornby locos recently (not sure whether he meant just O1s, or other types as well), but we agreed the new style packaging is an improvement on the old polystyrene blocks.

It's certainly a beautiful model; being a model of a rather plain and very black prototype I'm sure it'll benefit from some weathering, which I find helps bring out the detail on black engines.

However I'm not sure at the moment whether mine may be going back to the shop, as I've just noticed one of the front buffers is imperfectly formed, the buffer body being incomplete on the underside. It isn't visible from normal viewing angles, hence wasn't spotted in the shop, and doesn't cause the buffer head to fall out, so the jury's still out on that one but with it pouring with ran outside I'll probably ponder on it until tomorrow, anyway. I notice the front buffer shanks are ingeniously designed to prevent the oval heads from rotating!

Edited by 31A

Anyone fitted sound yet? if so what decoder etc?

I fitted my first sound chip, a Zimo MX645R, which went in easily and to my non rivet counter ears sounds just fine. I especially like the coasting without chuffs it does add something to a 35 wagon train of coal trucks as it trundles around the slow line.

I did look at Howes but they seem very expensive, probably very high quality I would hasten to add!

Having now got my hands on one (which will soon be gracing Peterborough North), I've been able to take an exploratory look at whether the smokebox door will indeed part company from the rest of it in order to make changing said door a walk in the proverbial park. Sadly, it isn't. The door is moulded as part of the entire bodyshell and is unlike the B1 in having a separate one. As an aside, I wonder whether the recently released B17s have a separate door. My instinct tells me it may well do, but I digress....

Anyway, having carefully carved off the original door (I shall indeed re-use the door and sealing ring on something else...), the end result of putting a Hornby D49 door in its place is below. This covers the majority of the class with the flatter NE pattern door.

post-6712-0-02654200-1354044791_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-12367600-1354044810_thumb.jpg

I'm yet to add the numberplate, but it's otherwise ready to go into the weathering queue. The witness marks from the original moulded-on dart are there, but it's nice and smooth otherwise!

Cheers,

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I fitted my first sound chip, a Zimo MX645R, which went in easily and to my non rivet counter ears sounds just fine. I especially like the coasting without chuffs it does add something to a 35 wagon train of coal trucks as it trundles around the slow line.

I did look at Howes but they seem very expensive, probably very high quality I would hasten to add!

who's sound scheme? what was it based on?

cheers

Ian

Now I do like that alteration! I knew those D49 doors would come in handy! ;)

Looks neat. Shame you didn't take a before shot as well....It would have been interesting to compare side by side images.

Thanks guys :). I had hoped to have taken a before shot too, but with it not being a door I could easily pop off and pose as a dry run (much like a B1 I did recently with the same door), It got to the stage of it having to come off quickly and just hope things went to plan.

Whether one can utilise an NE pattern door off a B17 to gain something finer in appearance is anyone's guess though. I'm lucky that I can pare off the remains of the outer ring from the original door so as to mount it onto a circle of black plasticard, before using that as a replacement on a B17. At least, I hope!

Cheers,

who's sound scheme? what was it based on?

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, I sourced mine from Digitrains and the sound seems to be from a J94

GW