Hornby - Thompson O1

S.A.C Martin

Why would you want to try and convert a Hornby version ?

Bachmann version already has the correct chassis.

However you will need to change the Bachmann ROD tender to the GCR type . Graeme King does the resin water filler and some plastikard plus a Tender Wheel from Gibson.

• Like 1

Why would you want to try and convert a Hornby version ?

Not so much me, but Hornby and Bachmann. I was asking (in a roundabout way) which of the two was more likely to do that version (bearing in mind the GWR ROD from Bachmann).

However you will need to change the Bachmann ROD tender to the GCR type . Graeme King does the resin water filler and some plastikard plus a Tender Wheel from Gibson.

Ta Mick, good to know for a future conversion.

Plenty of time to save up then! :)

Yeah, right. I had one of these emails about my pre-ordered B17 stating this delivery date. I would really love an O1 but am not prepared to pre-order at present. The real "elephant in the room" is whether the Hornby O1 project manager is the same one involved with the B17 project! I think the Margate company has a bit confidence building work to do with their customer base.

Regards to all.

Brian.

Yeah, right. I had one of these emails about my pre-ordered B17 stating this delivery date. I would really love an O1 but am not prepared to pre-order at present. The real "elephant in the room" is whether the Hornby O1 project manager is the same one involved with the B17 project! I think the Margate company has a bit confidence building work to do with their customer base.

Regards to all.

Brian.

Brian, just be thankful it's not the same one that was resposible for the Bachmann A2! how long did we have to wait for that model?

silverlink

For me, I can understand Hornby's reasoning behind bringing out the B1 as quickly as possible. It was going head to head with the Bachmann one and for that reason alone, it was worth shunting it up the production order.

The B17 in retrospect isn't as "necessary" for Eastern region modellers as a B1 and therefore it stands to reason they'd sell more B1s than B17s on release, if you discount the possibility of tight fisted people like me buying into Bachmann's more elderly but upgraded B1.

The O1 I suspect will arrive sooner rather than later to try and capitalise on the recent release of the NE liveried ballast hopper - I know it's not necessarily a "perfect match" but the train-set mentality of LNER/BR liveried locomotive pulling LNER/BR liveried matching rolling stock can be compelling, no? It seems to be the sort of thinking which has Gresley suburbans being released along with the L1 and B1, and Thompson suburbans following thereafter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just got this from Hattons :)

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order xxxxxxxxx, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby Model Railways R3090 Thompson Class 01 BR (Late) 63789 - DCC Ready. £100.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 17th August 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have on order with us, on order id 1244607, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby Model Railways R3088X Thompson Class 01 LNER 3755 - DCC Fitted. £115.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Friday 28th September 2012

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team

Hattons Model Railways

www.ehattons.com

• 2 months later...

Elephant in the room, but where is the bottom of the boiler?

http://www.derbysulz...3760ironore.jpg

I guess being an engineering sample that this will be completed as part of the chassis, or a body ballast weight.

N

I've just returned from the Peterborough Show at which some 01's were on display, still with a gap where the bottom of the boiler should be. I asked the Hornby rep on their stand about this, and he was clear that the items on display were in the condition of production items, and that this was how they should be. I explained about the step up from the smokebox underside to the boiler barrel, but he was adamant this was correct. I realise that also in this thread is a mention of a casting to correct this omission shown on a service sheet, and let us hope that Hornby haven't forgotten to put it in!

i think I will be waiting to see one as delivered to a retailer before parting with my cash just to be sure, as this would not be a simple fix for an individual modeller.

In passing I should mention that Hornby 42xx, 52xx & 72xx items were on display and looked fabulous, unfortunately not much call for these in the Sheffield area which I model!

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

We've been having a debate on the LNER forum about the smokebox door, and the general consensus seems to be that the type Hornby have chosen - which is of course, the previous B1's smokebox door tooling - is an accurate choice, but for a far fewer number of O1s than if the NER style smokebox door (which is smaller and flatter with different smokebox strap spacing) had been chosen.

I've found just four photographs of O1s with the type of door Hornby have used, and one other has been found by a member of the LNER forum - is there any other photographic reference that can show O1s with this type of door aside from Yeadons (doesn't show a single photograph of that type of door!) or RCTS 6B (only shows one with that type out of a dozen photographs of the class).

Not sure why there is such a debate yet gain about a pre production version.

The Chimney has also been proved wrong on the LNER forum and now doubts re the Smokebox Door as well.

Hopefully both will be rectified on the Production version !! which hopefully will be here soon !!

Not sure why there is such a debate yet gain about a pre production version.

The Chimney has also been proved wrong on the LNER forum and now doubts re the Smokebox Door as well.

Hopefully both will be rectified on the Production version !! which hopefully will be here soon !!

Hi Mick,

I was just asking for further views and hopefully photographic records. Two heads or more better than one and all that. I think RE the smokebox door, we've not seen any hint of a separately tooled up version, hence the debate.

Nobody is saying the door itself was wrong - I myself have proven it is an accurate choice for the class - but it does on first glance appear to cover much less of the class than the alternative.

Hence my question.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

Ah I now understand what you are after. Good luck with the search.

The comment was also a general observation re the usual froth as well !!

No problem Mick, totally understandable. I think we're all a bit jumpier than normal where the O1 is concerned as it's a very important locomotive for so many of us. It was pointed out by Tom on the LNER Forum that the D49 smokebox door is the same as the type needed for the O1, so it's an easy fix in some respects if you can get the spares. But I am finding it difficult to find photographs of O1s with the B1 style smokebox door. It may only be a handful of examples, which would restrict accurate renumbering in some respects.

Edited by S.A.C Martin

• 2 weeks later...