gp15-1; which is the best one?

class25

You don't say what scale ....

Ummm... he does...

Hello; I am new to US HO modelling ...

:D :D :D sorry Jack.. ;)

My question would be, why so specific as to loco type, so early on in a new direction...? A bigger, loco type such as GP38-2 or GP40 would be a good choice, as they were so numerous and common to a lot of Railroads. They are useful for everything from Yard switching to mainline trains as well, so wouldn't be out of place on any layout.

Re GP 15, I'm not sure who makes them offhand.... there's a Walthers Trainline one on Ebay; being at the 'cheap' end of the market the Walthers Trainline range may have chunky handrails, but in my experience they run superbly.

Dear Class25,

In HO, there are really only the 2 plastic options

- walthers/Proto2K

- Athearn

Of the 2 both are good solid mechanical runners, and IIRC both are DCC compatible (not sure if either come in DCC-equipped, or DCC+sound equipped ex factory)

For my mind, the Athearn has a slight edge in details and paint, but that's only based on some quick checks thru the LHS loco cabinent glass, and comparing of the various "hero shot" pics available online.

I get that the GP15T and -1 variants _appear_ slightly shorter than the more common GP35/38/40, (and bigger than typical shortline SW9/1200/1500 switchers),

But I would also ask, what's drawing you to the GP15s as a first-step in US-outline modelling?

Please don't mishear me, the GP15s are a very current branchline and "local freight" hauler for some of the "big railroads" going round. However, it does strike as a specific choice of loco, with a specific application, as opposed to the above-mentioned very-common GP35/38/40 "jack of all trades" locos...

Hope this helps,

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• RMweb Gold

The GP15 family were a desperate attempt by EMD to counter the significant advantages to the bottom line offered by rebuilding older units in the Capital Rebuild mania era. They seem to me to offer a pocket-sized GP, just a step up from the MP15 family. I like versatile locos this sort of size. Sure, any GEEP will switch for you, but I feel these junior versions - which one of my fave roads, MP, bought rather a lot of - have an appeal all their own.

I think personally the Genesis is hugely better quality model, the Walthers/proto is basically a train set condition model with virtually no stand-off detail, the Genesis is fully detailed and covers all variants straight from the box.

The Walthers to my mind only wins if you want a 'bulletproof' train set loco, or if you want a project to detail up yourself - the Genesis is nearly twice the price (on list price) though!

Compare Genesis:

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=ATHG68040

Compare Walthers:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-35052

Hello; I am new to US HO modelling (thankyou e-bay) and am looking to pick up a GP15-1. Does anyone have a view on which is a good model; what should I look for and are there any to avoid?!

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

The previous respondees make good points about chosing a GP38-2 or similar as an alternative. Personally I have a real softspot for the GP15 and I've got UP variants of both Genesis and Proto 1000 models. In my humble opinion if u want a GP15-1 that looks superb, is highly detailed and runs great straight out of the box then I would look no further than the Athearn Genesis model. The Soundtrax fitted models are superb. The only drawback with the Genesis UP variant atm is that they have only only released the ex CNW variant atm which are not very common. I am waiting patiently for the ex MP UPY model which is more numerous in service and is due for realease late November according to the Athearn website. Many of the big railroads such as BNSF and NS seem to have retired some or all of their GP15-1's many of which have been snapped up by leasing companies and shortlines. My small layout will be running as UP for present day operations, but I love the pre merger BN scene so I have a BN GP40 which I'm also detailing atm.

I would recommend however that as you are just starting out with US HO that you really takeyour time and decide what roads you want to model, what era you want to model, the type of layout you want to tackle and how much time / budget you have. Also think carefully about the type of modelling you tend to do. If you want to buy the most detailed models available to plonk on some track and run them then you neeed to think about some of the top end brands such Athearn Genesis, Intermountain, Exactrail, Atlas Master Series, Tangent etc to name a few. If you are on a budget and / or want to do some work on the stock yourself then the alternatives are Walthers Proto 1000, Atlas Trainman, Athearn Ready to Roll. Even without being so detailed the models offered in budget ranges are excellent value for money. I hope you enjoy yourself whatever.

Cheers

Chris M

Many thanks all, this has been exactly the sort of info I required. Drawn to GP15 as I like the smaller (class25!) type locos & what I preceive as their versatility. I have got a GP30 and 38 and 40. My layout is (currently) a small switching thing and I wanted a small loco to potter about. As you can probably tell, I have little understanding of US loco's. I will check out the links above & thank you again, its a pleasure to hear from people who know about an area which is still largely a new discovery to me!

Chris

I think personally the Genesis is hugely better quality model, the Walthers/proto is basically a train set condition model with virtually no stand-off detail, the Genesis is fully detailed and covers all variants straight from the box.

The Walthers to my mind only wins if you want a 'bulletproof' train set loco, or if you want a project to detail up yourself - the Genesis is nearly twice the price (on list price) though!

Compare Genesis:

http://www.athearn.c...rodID=ATHG68040

Compare Walthers:

http://www.walthers....tinfo/920-35052

What he said. By the bucketload. The Genesis was done from the ground up to allow it road-specific prototypical details; the Walthers wasn't.

Probably does depend on when/where you're modelling as to whether these are a good call or not - back on my Y2K trip to the states they were pretty common local/switching power on NS and CSX in Chicago with the former Conrail fleet split between the two and CSX having some of their own already - I think many of those are now off-roster with those railroads though?

I kinda like them myself, the looks of a 2nd gen diesel in the space of a first gen geep isn't a bad combination for modellers either. :)

Probably does depend on when/where you're modelling as to whether these are a good call or not - back on my Y2K trip to the states they were pretty common local/switching power on NS and CSX in Chicago with the former Conrail fleet split between the two and CSX having some of their own already - I think many of those are now off-roster with those railroads though?

I kinda like them myself, the looks of a 2nd gen diesel in the space of a first gen geep isn't a bad combination for modellers either. :)

CSX still runs a total of about 50 GP15-1s and GP15Ts...the 15-1s coming via Conrail (I think), the 15Ts ex Chessie. NS got out of all their GP15s several years ago...all were ex Conrail indeed.

Archived