Waterproofing scalescenes hardstandings

I'm knocking togther a small photo plank (diorama) of a small servicing point that has, as its focal point, the Bachmann single road servising shed over a scalescenes inspection pit... and I've used the hardstanding sheets that came with that to make up the hardstanding areas around the shed and three roads that I've incorporated.

The sheets are printed on a canon inkjet onto ordinary 80gsm paper that is 3m spray glued to daler mount board. The pit was my third attempt and looks ok; I changed the construction method a bit to strengthen it: where the instruction call for section to be cut out for the side wall backing pieces, I cut these as window shaped holes leaving material at the top edge... when the printed sheet is stuck on, it is held in place on all 4 sides not just the edges and bottom - it's stronger now.

The problem I encountered was that because I'll need to add ballast to this display, the card would need waterproofing. Therefore, I sprayed the whole thing last night with railmatch matt varnish - which I see was a mistake as this affected the inks and made "a right mess" of the weathering powders I'd applied (lesson learnt).

For previous attempts, I'd sprayed the sheets with Humbrol hobby spray... to seal the inks... but I don't think that this waterproofed them.

I discovered this affect late last night as the varnish had dried. Ugh! After some soul searching, I printed off some more sheets and cut and stuck these over the top using a Pritt stick - which allowed some manoeuvering of the sheet onto the card... and this morning it looks ok.... but I still have the original problem - of how to waterproof it?

The track has to go back down and then the ballast

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use now to waterproof the top sheet ?

Thanks.....

Jon

I always use a matt varnish, brushed on, from one of the DIY stores such as B&Q; depends what I have in stock at the time. My Scalescenes are actually printed on sticky labels A4 size, which are affixed to plasticard before cutting out. As I use them in a garage though, the inks have to be sealed although the plasticard is obviously ok out there.

Stewart

I'm knocking togther a small photo plank (diorama) of a small servicing point that has, as its focal point, the Bachmann single road servising shed over a scalescenes inspection pit... and I've used the hardstanding sheets that came with that to make up the hardstanding areas around the shed and three roads that I've incorporated. The sheets are printed on a canon inkjet onto ordinary 80gsm paper that is 3m spray glued to daler mount board. The pit was my third attempt and looks ok; I changed the construction method a bit to strengthen it: where the instruction call for section to be cut out for the side wall backing pieces, I cut these as window shaped holes leaving material at the top edge... when the printed sheet is stuck on, it is held in place on all 4 sides not just the edges and bottom - it's stronger now. The problem I encountered was that because I'll need to add ballast to this display, the card would need waterproofing. Therefore, I sprayed the whole thing last night with railmatch matt varnish - which I see was a mistake as this affected the inks and made "a right mess" of the weathering powders I'd applied (lesson learnt). For previous attempts, I'd sprayed the sheets with Humbrol hobby spray... to seal the inks... but I don't think that this waterproofed them. I discovered this affect late last night as the varnish had dried. Ugh! After some soul searching, I printed off some more sheets and cut and stuck these over the top using a Pritt stick - which allowed some manoeuvering of the sheet onto the card... and this morning it looks ok.... but I still have the original problem - of how to waterproof it? The track has to go back down and then the ballast Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use now to waterproof the top sheet ? Thanks..... Jon

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/54133-sealing-card-structures-for-weathering/ post 6

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8160-metcalfe-kits/ post 7

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34527-weathering-scalescenes-with-watercolour/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8621-shillingstone-station-progress/ post 17

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/463-free-textures-downloads/ post 20

Thanks for the responses chaps; actually we're just off into town for the usual sunday "shop" for bits... and we have a Lidl, which we usually visit - so I'll look for some of this stuff (which I think i recall seeing previously (just hope they have some today)

Jon

EDIT - Must be the wrong time of year - nowt in Lidl. Came home and had a rummage and found some Kiwi power protector (shoes/coats/handbags etc)... so thought I'd try that. Added some spare print out to some card, left glue to dry and gave it a go. No colour shift, as far as I can tell... will let dry and try a drop of water and see what happens.

Jon

Update - couldn't get the Lidl stuff.. but same approach with stuff in cupboard - applied to test piece.. and yes, that's fine... water turns to droplets and sits on the surface, as you'd expect. Whole board now recovered and stuff applied.

Thanks for the help

Jon

Archived