Shillingstone Station Progress

Benbow

Many thanks for the kind comments :) I use ordinary mounting card for the base layer and then other thicknesses of card for detail all finished off with the wonderful Scalescenes brick papers. By far the most realistic I think (just a satisfied customer). The poster boards and indeed all the signs were done on the computer. I can't make up my mind about the shade of green. As I am basing it in the 60s when it is doubtful if much painting was going on I have gone for a matt shade (Humbrol 150)that is something like the colour shown in colour photos of the period however I may revise it :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on colour would be appreciated.

Regards

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Parcels shed now done. Not quite correct in all respects, downpipes at the wrong angle and the gutters are a bit big :huh: When you're on a tight budget you have to use what's to hand :( Hopefully it looks a bit like the real thing.

Well done Andy and Co for getting the site sorted, I was starting to get withdrawl symptoms, mind you I got the shed finished! :D

Station & parcels shed

post-7345-126694181918_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-7345-126694183519_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-7345-126694187879_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-7345-126694185287_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-7345-126694189248_thumb.jpg.jpg]

post-7345-126694186754_thumb.jpg.JPG]

post-7345-126694190782_thumb.jpg.jpg]

I'm very impressed! I'm about to start an 'OO' scale SDJR site: "Wellow". I'm sure it won't be up to the same standard as yours (I can't scale it exactly as my garage would need to x4 as long!).

When I was 'trackbed steward' for the SDJR Trust I took a keen interest in S'stone and the attempts to preserve and enhance the site (along with the 9F). It looks as if you've been there in the last 6 months in order to take the pics. Are you a member of their Trust?

I too like the scalescenes stuff although most of my buildings have been done with plasticard now.

Please keep us posted. When finished we need to post it onto the two main SDJR websites - if that's OK with you.

Best wishes,

Rich Stevens (Vice-president SDRHT)

See; http://domain1238136.sites.fasthosts.com/

Lovely work there.

May I ask what you use to seal your brick paper, especially if you printed it at home.

I dropped one drip of water on some of mine and it went green! I use a Canon MP190 printer which is usually a very good machine.

I'm very worried that even general dampness might make the work deteriorate without some sort of seal, which would have me back to painted embossed and moulded plastic. And really, I'm a card advocate.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I'd also be interested in what folks use to seal the Scalescenes brick paper, I'm also a great fan, but haven't plucked up the courage to try anything yet. Clearly, those of us who like working in card need to ensure that dampness is kept at bay, for lots of reasons!

Lovely, lovely work again, by the way, it really looks great.

• RMweb Gold

I'd also be interested in what folks use to seal the Scalescenes brick paper, I'm also a great fan, but haven't plucked up the courage to try anything yet. Clearly, those of us who like working in card need to ensure that dampness is kept at bay, for lots of reasons!

I'll second that. Truly excellent work and it is very difficult to tell whether it is brick plastic sheets or paper. I'm glad to see the progression from the old RMWeb to this new one.

Regards,

Nick

One of the many benefits of this forum is drooling over large, impressive layouts and superbly constructed locos, wagons, etc then coming across delightful cameos of small buildings like Benbow's. I'm sure that Parcel Shed will be an inspiration to many to get started. Keep 'em coming Sir.

Steve

Hi all

Been away for a week so only just picked up on all your kind comments :blush: To seal the printed papers I use Rowney Matt Artists Fixative in a spray can. First time I used it I thought I had ruined everything as the paper looked a bit damp but as soon as it dried all looked OK. My buildings which are all made of mounting card live in an unheated (unless I'm in it!) wooden shed and so far have survived three years without showing any problems, probably wish I hadn't said that now :icon_rolleyes:

Currently working on the next building, variously known as the Porters shed or the Bike shed depending on what you read!

Anyone know about the Goods Shed at Shillingstone? Plans show a small over track one but the only photo I have found suggests quite a large concrete Provender store. I suspect maybe the old Goods Shed was knocked down???

Regards

Roger

• 1 month later...

I'll second the lovely work bit!

Sealing paper/card? I use Lidl's 'W5' clothing water-proofer spray, about £3.50 for an aerosol can. I spray some into the lid as well, to use with a brush on the bottom edges to stop water soaking up during ballasting etc. Cheaper by far than artists spray stuff, leaving more money for Scottish Laughing Water. Oh, and I use it on my anorak, too.......

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the kind comment and the tip! :D Certainly cheaper than Artists spray.

Roger

But probably best not confused or swapped with the Scottish Laughing Water.... :D

Or indeed my favourite - Napoleonic Contentment Liquid... :lol:

I'll second the lovely work bit!

"..... leaving more money for Scottish Laughing Water. Oh, and I use it on my anorak, too......."

Doug

What!!!! You use Scottish Laughing Water on your anorak?....well takes all sorts :rolleyes: :D

Roger

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug

Yes things are progressing slowly. I thought when you retired you were meant to have loads of time for your hobbies!! I think I'm busier now than when I was working..........not sure what that says about when I was at work :) .

Due to space constraints it has turned into Shaftesbury S&D. Not many people know there was a branch there from Templecombe. Due to Shaftesbury being sited on top of a mini mountain (well quite high for this neck of the woods) the station was built some way from the town in true S&D style! The line pretty much follows the path of the A30.

Will try to take some photos in the next few days to show progress.

Best wishes and thanks for asking

Roger

... it has turned into Shaftesbury S&D. Not many people know there was a branch there from Templecombe. ...

Roger

Oh I don't know, I think there's quite a few of us have considered modelling the branch to Shaston! The hovis had to get there somehow. Mind you, I always thought Stalbridge was the junction - I must go and look at my maps again... :scratchhead:

Archived