Peco Code55 & Code80

Yes they are compatible but come out slightly different heights. This means that you will need to pack cardboard or something under the code 55 to raise it to the same height.

However I would strongly advocate using code 55 throughout if you can. Get a Tracksetta to help lay the curves you need and you will find that the final appearance is much better.

Suspect it would be an extremely small gap...

Set-Track (which includes the pre-formed curved sections) is primarily aimed at the beginners 'Train Set' end of the market. It is generally assumed that if modellers are bothered enough with the appearance of the track to consider using the more expensive, finer code 55, they would also want bespoke radii and transition curves etc achievable only by use of flexi track and not be restricted by the limited geometery available in a set-track range...

For information I am sure that most readers know but for those who do not:

The CODE refers to the rail's Height (from sleeper top I think) measured in 1000s of an inch!

some of my track is code 325! But thats in the garden.

I dont think that Code 55 setrack would be a viable proposition,

• RMweb Premium

but atlas' track comes with a molded base, so it's harder to produce flexi for, and people want to run with the molded base for what ever reason.

peco goes flat onto the board unless you choose to use underlay.

Atlas also produce Code 55 flex track which is different planet/century to Peco.

David

but atlas' track comes with a molded base, so it's harder to produce flexi for, and people want to run with the molded base for what ever reason.

peco goes flat onto the board unless you choose to use underlay.

That's the code 65 stuff you're thinking of, the link I gave above goes straight to the code 55 stuff which doesn't have a moulded base, has flexi track etc...

See the thing is i think it would be a good seller because in truth not everyone wants an 8ft flexi curve. Its all about choice really

But those that are happy to be constrained by the limited geometry of a Set-Track system are rarely bothered by the coarser appearance of code 80 and will use it in preference to code 55 because of the lower cost...

I'm struggling to reconcile the oxymoron of 'finescale set-track'... :scratchhead:

because track detail is just as important as anything else, having detailed code 55 set curves in four radius would be great imo, then use the flexi for really big curves, its just my 2p worth why leave code55 setrack out of the market yet support low detail code 100?

• RMweb Gold

because track detail is just as important as anything else, having detailed code 55 set curves in four radius would be great imo, then use the flexi for really big curves, its just my 2p worth why leave code55 setrack out of the market yet support low detail code 100?

Totally agree, there is a very good argument that using set track for off scene* curves which are preformed will give more reliable running than trying to bend your own, especially on tighter radii - that's certainly what I will be considering when construction starts on BSL (my proposed layout) - and because code 55 is the preferred (for me) track on the scenic side, I would therefore like some set track curves at the same code 55, I would prefer to not have to mess with packing etc. however I suspect it's either flexi or packing.

* I personally wouldn't use it for scenic sections

Archived