Turnouts numbering and timbering

PenrithBeacon

I ask this out of curiosity more than anything else, but can anybody offer an on-line reference to the numbering practices of turnouts (A6, B4 etc) and also the timbering practices for turnouts and plain track on the LNWR/LMS?

I'd rather it was an on-line reference partly because I don't want anybody to go to the trouble of writing an epistle and also I rather not be spending money right now!

MTIA, Regards

• RMweb Premium

Hi

A, B, C, etc. represents the size of the switch and the number represents the crossing angle as measured from the nose Ie 1ft in 6ft or 1ft in 7 1/2ft. crossing angles normally increase in 3" or 1/4ft increments up to 1 in 9 and then in 6" or 1/2ft up to a 1 in 12 then in whole foot increases thereafter at least that's Gods Wonderful way of doing it. A is the shortest switch, I don't have any details to hand but if you go onto the Templot Forum you will find more help there, also some info on LNWR/LMS practice if you look for threads by Brian Nicholls.

http://85a.co.uk/forum/

Cheers SS

If you want details of LNWR track, ask your questions on the "Yahoo, Trackwork" group.

There is, apart from the gauge little comparison between any Pre-Group track, amd the "Standard" trackwork adopted c1925. The later by the way is still in use today, and that is despite now being "Flat Bottom" and converted to metric. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

Archived