Bulleid's in BR Experimental Green Livery

Bibby Line

I have started to model one of my favourite Bulleid's 34087 145 Squadron at various stages of its life and would be pleased to receive suggestions as to the best paint to use for the body colour and best source for the special lining.

I have seen Graham Muz’s excellent postings and gallery of Fisherton Sarum that features an excellent model of Tavistock.

1. as built in the BR Experimental Green Livery and lining - I propose to use an old original Hornby body and Albert's details parts.

Allocated to Ramsgate (74B)

2. painted BR Green in final state before rebuilding - I propose the new Hornby model with 5500 gallon tender and raves intact.

Allocated to Stewarts Lane (73A)

3 as first rebuilt with 5500 gallon tender- I have a Crownline Kit built loco, 5500 Gallon Tender

Allocated to Nine Elms (70A)

4. in final state before withdrawal, no nameplates, just back plates, heavy weathering, and final rebuilt tender on the old frames.

Allocated to Eastleigh (70D)

All of the locos will run on my layout under construction (a model of Exmouth, assuming a double track mainline from Feniton to Exeter via Tipton and Exmouth (having 2 through platforms and 2 terminal platforms).

Many thanks,

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

Eddie

Whilst I casnt help you on the early British railway colours as all my Bullieds are in later brisitsh railways green, i am interested in your idea of making Exmouth a through station. WIll be interested to see photos of it. I have had ides, for many years, to build the lines West of Exeter and use Exmouth Junction as ' London'. Doubt I will ever have the time and space to build such a large layout but we can all dream!

Ian

Ian,

I am modelling winter 1962 so my stock is designed to to fit in with that period. The extra models of 34087 will not be running in the normal timetable.

Ian,

I will attempt to "draw" the track plan and write up a description.

My layout is only 10ft 6" x 10 ft but with a 6ft x 2 ft extension "off at a tangent from the down through roads" to the terminal platforms.

Thank you fro your interest.

Eddie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eddie

An interesting little project, I am glad that my humble modelling efforts have been welcomed.

With respect to your first version in the Experimental Apple (Pea) Green I make the following comments:

1) I used Precisions Paints P103 BR Steam Loco Pea Green (1948-51)

2) For lining I used Fox Transfers red and Cream lining, although the cream is a little too yellow for my liking really.

3) Numerals again from Fox Transfers.

4) With respect to your proposed use of an original (Margate) loco body I think you would need to check the cab width as if I recall correctly it was based on one of the 8'6" wide versions rather the 9'0" version fitted to 34087 from new

5) You dont state which tender you intend to use for this version but of course as you have identified for your later versions it will need to be a 5,500 gallon version, again the original Margateproduced model was a 4,500 version.

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

I am modelling winter 1962 so my stock is designed to to fit in with that period. The extra models of 34087 will not be running in the normal timetable.

Ian,

I will attempt to "draw" the track plan and write up a description.

My layout is only 10ft 6" x 10 ft but with a 6ft x 2 ft extension "off at a tangent from the down through roads" to the terminal platforms.

Thank you fro your interest.

Eddie

Eddie

Look forward to seeing it.

Re use of Hornby Bullieds. Watch out for which one you use as there is a difference to te loco roof whistle positions etc between early and late unrebuilt Bullieds, along with the area around the chimney.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ian

It was not the whistle position that moved it was the safety vales. When originally built these were located towards the front of the boiler but from the early 1950s these were relocated to a more tradditonal posittion above the firebox. This was due to the possibility fo the valves to prime with a fullish boiler when braking hard as the water surges to the front of the boiler.

The latest Hornby model has inset pieces to allow them to model either valve position.

But yes worth checking. My table of the Hornby variations here on the SeMG website includes this detail along with cab widths and tender capacities.

• RMweb Gold

Just to assist on this thread here is a picture of my 34011 'Tavistock' in the experimental livery. I have a Bachmann Lord Neslon ready to gain the same livery in due course as 30856 'Lord St Vincent' although the lining will be a little more tricky...

post-243-0-33842500-1334911792.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their comments. You can never be too careful when modelling Bulleid's.

I have many books that have illustrations of Bulleids. Very few are of the locos in the experimental livery.

I have only seen one colour shot (the Colour Rail slide showing two locos at Brighton).

Has anyone seen a photo of 34087 in the Experimental livery OR another colour shot of any of the locos.

Many thanks,

Eddie

The ever wonderful 'Big Four in Colour 1935 - 50' presents this selection (with the expertise represented by the compiling team and those who assisted them one hopes the captioning is correct) :

BRS306 35024 in experimental blue with red stripes in 1949

BRS442 34022 in Malachite lettered B~ R~, with 34064 in experimental light green lettered ditto, at Eastleigh 1948

BRS164 34011 reputedly in BR experimental apple green and red white and grey lining, but with a hefty blue colour cast in 1949, happily the next shot shows a Nelson in the same livery colour and lining scheme rather better lit. (BRS872)

An interesting piece of trivia about 34087 145 Squadron is that it was one of several Ramsgate Battle of Britains given a wide gap between the name and the squadron crest to make space for the large side arrows for the Golden Arrow service, but was never actually fitted with the clips to enable arrows to be fitted and was never, as far as I know, a Golden Arrow loco.

222 Squadron had similarly low set crests, a point missed by Hornby when it modelled the loco.

In order to accurately capture the lining on 34011 in experimental green, it should be standard BR mixed traffic lining, which is very fine except for the grey....... No idea who produces transfers. David Jenkinson says the green was often described as apple green, so Doncaster green would be the one. All below the lower lining and cylinders was black.

Thanks to everyone for the updates.

I have many photographs of 145 Squadron and have noticed the "Gap" between the nameplate and Crest. As you said, it was indicative of being able to carry the Arrow but i have not seen any evidence of it actually hauling the train. I also have a photo (in a book about SR Electrics) of the loco in very clean condition hauling an immaculate rake of Pullmans. Unfortunately its the empty stock of the Bournemouth Belle and the caption states that the loco stalled !

The information about the lining is interesting, I now have two options. I have never before applied lining using a "pen" but wonder if it would be much easier on the Bullied, being straight lines ?

Must get around to producing the track plan promised to Ian.

Eddie

I have never before applied lining using a "pen" but wonder if it would be much easier on the Bullied, being straight lines ?

It might seem so bit it isn't. Quite a lot of setting up is required with pencil marks in order to get the lining parallel to the track (assuming your loco is level as well). All the setting up needs to be done while the loco and tender are on the track so that the lining done later will follow through to the tender. This avoids problems with different depth flanges on loco drivers and tender wheels. Obviously, the lining needs to be at the same height on both sides.

Archived