LSWR/SR PULL PUSH COACHES

N15class

Firstly I am building a pair of gated LSWR coaches to make up a pull push set.

My first question is about livery colour. I model circa 1930. I have upto now painted my coaches olive green as per the locomotives. But I read recently something about a different green for carriages. Have I miss read this or did I get it wrong about the olive in the first place?? If so why have I seen photos stating olive?

The second part of this is, I know the drivingend of pull push carriages were painted unlinned green. But how were the ends of the vestibules painted? Were they black, green, varnished or painted as the interior was?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter

post approx 1925/6 both locomotives and coaches were painted in Maunsel Green (often referred to as Olive Green). Coaches however were varnished whilst the locomotived were not which varied the depth of colour slightly.

Whilst the driving ends of Pull Push sets were indeed painted unlined green the other ends were black. The vestibule ends on the inside of the carriages were painted as per the rest of the interior.

Hope this helps.

Graham

That is useful. But I am still unsure about the vestibules on the gated stock. Are these inside or out. To me they are outside, they are panelled the same as outside. So would they green lined or unlined or black as the other ends?

• RMweb Gold

Doh! Sorry Peter I know what you mean now, I should have read your OP properly, they were painted green. I am unable to advise if they were lined or not during the 1930's my best guess would be that the panelling would have been lined though.

Graham thanks

Thats good lest I don't have to mask. But if I line them, I think I need a bent bow pen, or I could just see who would notice.

I did think they would probably be green. But you know what it is like soon as you had finished some one would say "Thats wrong",

The info I worked from was the carriages were painted a lighter shade of green than the locos in the hope it would weather down. The two greens used on Southern locos initially were Ashford green (lighter and used on coaches) and SR Olive used on all locos except Ashfords. Seeing as the walls of te coach inside the vestibule were two tone in LSWR days, I always sprayed them coach green for SR livery. Due to space problems in 4mm, I rarely attempted made to line out the vestibule panels. Droplights were of course varnished mahogony on ex LSWR stock.

We asked Masons and Williamson if they had recipes for SR green and they hadnt. I was merely advised to mix black and yellow but this produced what we often call LSWR Urie green! The shades of green put on locos in the mid to late 1930s were legion, and while Bullied made an attempt to rectify this when he entered office, the war intervened.

I thought I would look at Precision Paints to see what they have got in the way of green. I am even more confused.

They list four paints.

Dark Olive (Eastliegh)

Light Olive (Ashford)

Coach pre 1930

Coach post 1930

Then of coarse there is two Malachites which is not in my era.

No wonder Bullied tried to unify it, but even then got 2 shades.

The info I worked from was the carriages were painted a lighter shade of green than the locos in the hope it would weather down. The two greens used on Southern locos initially were Ashford green (lighter and used on coaches) and SR Olive used on all locos except Ashfords. Seeing as the walls of te coach inside the vestibule were two tone in LSWR days, I always sprayed them coach green for SR livery. Due to space problems in 4mm, I rarely attempted made to line out the vestibule panels. Droplights were of course varnished mahogony on ex LSWR stock.

We asked Masons and Williamson if they had recipes for SR green and they hadnt. I was merely advised to mix black and yellow but this produced what we often call LSWR Urie green! The shades of green put on locos in the mid to late 1930s were legion, and while Bullied made an attempt to rectify this when he entered office, the war intervened.

Do you know which of the paints Precision list would be matches? Or is it a case that any one of them would do?

Archived