Best way to re-number a Farish 57

Hi,

I've recently acquired a Farish 57 (N Gauge) in DRS livery and would like to change the number by removing the last 2 digits and putting on an appropriate transfer.

This will be the first time I have attempted anything like this, so I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on how to get started?

I'm particularly interested in any technique to remove the last 2 digits of the number, I would like to do as little damage as possible to the underlying paintwork.

Also, I've been looking at the Fox Transfers web site and they supply Class 37 and 20 number transfers, but there isn't any info for a Class 57. Does anybody know if there are any other suitable transfers from their stock that would suit?

As the loco is currently 57011 I would like to change it to 57007.

Cheers, Mark.

Guest 40-something

Hi Mark,

A bit of T-Cut on a cotton bud gently rubbed over the number will take it off. Use the numbers from the class 20 sheet as the 37 sheet numbers are for the larger size. Bear in mind that 007 has its number in a different location from 011.

Hope this helps

Hi 40-something,

Thanks for the advice and the heads up on the number position. I'm assuming you mean the TOPS number on the yellow ends of the loco, I have found a couple of pics where it is lower down than 57011, but then others where it is in the same place???

Also 57007 looks to have a small 'BOND' painted above the TOPS numbers on the cab sides. For my purposes, the re-number is just for stock identification, so I'll overlook the position of the numbers.

Thanks again, Mark.

Guest 40-something

Hi Mark

I've seen photos of 007 with the cabside number at the top of the cabside, and some photo's with it at the bottom of the cabside, so you'll be ok if its at the bottom to match 011!!!

• RMweb Premium

If you've not done it already bring it with you to York on Saturday and I'll show you how I renumbered & re-sectored my Farish 37.

(soak digits to be removed in Micro-set then gently scrape off with curve bladed knife - numbers are easy, sector logos take more time).

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you might have already solved this....but similar to Steve B's approach I too use Micro-set which is a great thing to have, but if you are not too keen on using a blade near your numbers, then I have used succesfully for many years a Faber-Castell eraser pencil like here

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Faber-Castell_Perfection_Eraser_Pencils.html

I've got the 7058 pencil.

Never lets me down, you just have to rub lightly and accurately (a pencil sharpener helps here), but it leaves a nice clean area for reappyling numbers, it also tends to be shiney so you can often reapply with applying gloss first.

Hi,

Thanks millerhillboy for the eraser pencil tip and link to website. I ended up using it rather than scraping them off with a blade.

Here's the result.

post-11575-0-69238100-1336739059_thumb.jpg post-11575-0-79096300-1336739069_thumb.jpg

That'll do for me, just need to source some numbers now.

Cheers, Mark.

Hi,

Thanks millerhillboy for the eraser pencil tip and link to website. I ended up using it rather than scraping them off with a blade.

Here's the result.

post-11575-0-69238100-1336739059_thumb.jpg post-11575-0-79096300-1336739069_thumb.jpg

That'll do for me, just need to source some numbers now.

Cheers, Mark.

Good work, yes the eraser pencil makes a fine job of it. At least it has always done for me. Glad you found the same.

FWIW I always err on Fox Transfers, superb service and very good decals IMO. I've got a drawer full of them and always work for me.

Here's a couple of renumbers I've done using eraser pencil + Fox Transfers, hope you don't mind.

d1573031211001.jpg

progress110112003.jpg

Bad news I'm afraid, the Fox class 20 sheet, although the right kind of size, is the wrong typeface for the 57s. It uses a quite bold Gill Sans style font which I've not seen used on any DRS locos

http://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/image_display.cgi?image=112A.Ffy4l4eg.jpg

All locos in 'compass' livery have the numbers in a font closer to Arial, in a much lighter weight, which I've not seen any non-custom transfers for I'm afraid

jo

@millerhillboy, those look great, thanks.

I spoke to Fox a few weeks ago, but they've only done the 37 and 20 numbers in DRS livery, doh!

Thinking of contacting Precision Decals, who might be able to help with the numbers.

As for the font, at 2mm, it's very hard to distinguish any difference between that used on the loco and Arial. Turning on Bold and messing around with the spacing in word gets me something very close to what I'd want.

Thanks, Guys.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

Lancaster City Models do the the present large DRS logo and Phoenix Precision paints do the correct paint colours, so will have to get started on this 47 once I have completed the Colas class 47!

Just noticed Railtec only do them in 4mm and I am after 2mm.

I got in touch with Railtec after my last post, he was willing to print the sheet I found at a reduced size, but said he could create a sheet of DRS 57 Tops numbers for me.

Just waiting to here back, fingers crossed.

• RMweb Gold

I got in touch with Railtec after my last post, he was willing to print the sheet I found at a reduced size, but said he could create a sheet of DRS 57 Tops numbers for me.

Just waiting to here back, fingers crossed.

I will get in touch with them as need some numbers for the N scale DRS class 47 I am working on.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just a quick update.

Railtec have been back in touch and have created a sheet of 2mm loco numbers for various classes in the DRS Fleet. I'm very happy to recommend them, they provide an excellent service, here's a link http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?&type=5&gauge=2mm&xfer_region=1&livery=101

I'm made up with that, as I can now do some class 20's for nuclear flask duty as well. I'll post some pics when I've got the 57 done.

Cheers, Mark.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its bad enough using individual USA loco numbers in N scale let alone these tiny DRS ones. The Railtech DRS numbers come with both set loco numbers and individual digits.

When doing individual ones I varnish over each digit and let it dry before doing the next digit otherwise the previous number will move. Just means it can take quite a few days to do a loco with individual digits.

Archived