Bye bye Atlas forum - where will the flamers go now?

shortliner

Copied across

Atlas Model Railroad Co. Inc. announced today that it will discontinue its model railroad forums, http://forum.atlasrr.com/ effective Tuesday, May 1st.

In making the announcement Atlas CEO, Tom Haedrich explained the decision behind the shut down as, “a result of the ever-increasing amount of time and other valuable resources expended to monitor and administer the forums. Besides the monthly costs of bandwidth, software and service providers, Atlas dedicates a significant amount of precious R&D staff time responding both on and offline to forum based issues and problems. It’s time that Atlas reestablished these limited resources, in particular valued R&D employee time, toward increased efforts at developing new and innovative model railroad products â€, Haedrich said.

Atlas began its forum pages approximately 15 years ago. The archive section of the forums will remain available to users for the near future. Atlas will remain active on social media sites including: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Atlas Moderator

I'd only recently started looking at the atlas forum and while it does seem to host the usual amount of wish listers and more than the usual amount of malcontents it does also have sone useful and interesting info. I hope Atlas can archive permanently rather than just switch if off

I used to follow and post in the Atlas HO forum a lot, but the level of discussion had deteriorated a lot in recent months and there was little of interest to me. As well as the Sunday photo threads, it was/is the quickest way to get a loco/RR-specific question answered and is still the busiest forum on the interweb

Jon

I'm wondering whether to contact Atlas and get them to send to me any relevant news items of interest to Forums...

Would that be kosher, I wonder? Thoughts welcomed.

Best, Pete.

Ask them to send it to Andy York like Bachmann and Hornby do

Fine with me. I'll just say that I am the "Moderator of the USA & Canadian Railroads Group for RMWeb" - and then drop your name Andy should they want to verify........of course I'll probably be out on my ear.....

Cheers, Pete.

There seem to be a lot of people not enjoying model railroading/Railways these days .I can believe all the criticism and moans but then I suppose this a moan too :nono:

Dear Alf,

Like the old sawby says

"a bad day playing trains beats a good day at the office..." :locomotive: :mosking:

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I'd only recently started looking at the atlas forum and while it does seem to host the usual amount of wish listers and more than the usual amount of malcontents it does also have sone useful and interesting info. I hope Atlas can archive permanently rather than just switch if off

Aside from a few brief forays, I've stayed away from the Atlas site after being a busy poster from 2002 to around 2007. Over the past several years I'd peek in every few weeks only to quick-view the latest Sunday Night Photo Funs, to count how many new topics had been locked out, who'd been kicked off lately, or how many trivial tempests were raging in the proverbial teapots.

When I compared this site to Atlas's, the choice of where to spend my time was quite clear: The quality of material, discussion, information, and insight makes RMWeb, for me, an indispensable part of my hobby. The Atlas site never reached that level for me.

I'm glad Atlas has decided to focus more on what they do best, and I've never been disappointed with the quality of their products or customer service.

Without wishing to knock a Forum I've never visited, I think it says a great deal about this Group within RMweb that despite being an Enthusiast of US trains and railroads, I don't actually belong to any US-based Forum; I follow Lance Mindheim's blog, and use the Picture sites like Railroad Picture Archives, Railpictures.net, and Fallen Flags, but no Forums, except for a while I was on the now-defunct Model Railroads Weathered site.

Archived