Scrapyard crane in 4mm scale

:thankyou: Thankyou all for your kind compliments, they're really appreciated.

@Ball2 - sorry, I cannot take on modelling for others, if I had the time I would, but I really need to progress with my own project, but thanks for your interest.

What I will say is that (if I took on modelling projects for others) is that I find it difficult to put a quote/cost on something, & models like the scrapyard crane & other models that are'nt available as a kit build or "plonkdown" require a fair ammount of research , it would be different if I built this sort of thing on a regular basis.

I recently built a couple of scenes for someones layout & I seriously under estimated the work & detail involved thus I under-quoted the cost of the completed result, the only bonus being I have the satisfaction knowing I built / contributed something unique that myself & others regard as a highly detailed masterpiece, for my own personal modelling satisfaction/obssesion, I included such features as underside detailing to the plate girder bridge - but for the price I quoted & I was paid, in comparison to the time & effort put in, i'd buy it all back tommorow if I could !!, but a lesson learned on giving quotes & the acheivement has gave me modelling experience.

I'm really only an average skilled modeller, my step-by-step posts are meant to inspire other modellers to achieve a similar satisfying result, I'm always happy to answer any questions about the specific materials I used, where certain componants could be obtained, etc.

@Paul (Birdseyecircus) , Yes indeed , I've yet to do so, the next time I visit Modellers Mecca I'll call into the scrapyards with my model, & especially as the chaps at one scrapyard asked me to return as to show them the results, they were quite interested in the modelling aspect of a clawed crane based on theirs.

Cheers,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome work ! I've noticed a lot of scrap yards on route to Birmingham on the tram I've often thought of doing one as a micro layout..BTW Modellers Mecca is in Kingswinford not west Dudley :) I work there on a Friday :sungum:

I look forward to seeing your layout Dave...

Jaymes

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Absolutely stunning model making, the BEST I've ever seen !! How on Earth....

Well I've been model making for over 40 years now but I wouldn't even  think about building something like that.

Brilliantly thought out, brilliantly executed, it don't get better than this.Totally amazing.

Really impressed.

Allan.

Thanks for the compliments chaps :thankyou: , 

As I may have already mentioned, the grappler crane I've built will be just part of a larger modelling project based on a railway scrapyard.

Here's my crane alongside another recent scratchbuilt 4mm scale tipper lorry body, hooked on to an Oxford Diecast tractor/cab.

post-11636-0-28257300-1369321098_thumb.jpg

I've another tipper body to build, with a slightly different body with curved lower body profile.

With this in mind, Scrapyards I've seen have at least 2 grappler cranes operateing.

Rather than me scratchbuild another grappler crane, I came accross this Kibri kit on ebay , ordered,  & it came in the post today.

post-11636-0-92094800-1369321009_thumb.jpg

The kit is H0 scale / 1/87, so first thoughts are that this kit may be a little underscale, but Kibri are great quality & maybe componets like the operaters cab need to be crucial for 4mm scale, luckily items such as the cab height can easily be modified.

Also brief look at the main components of this kit looks to be similar size to my scratchbuilt model, so I'll be building this kit within the next few days, I'll then post up the resulting model.

I have the Kibri kit on my 2 scrapyard layouts, it's a very nice kit and very close to scale

Walters have introduced several scrapyard machines in HO, a cutting shear, compactor, conveyor belt, also a grab machine. Have a look at their web site

Lovely models of the machine and lorry trailers

Richard

Great modelling. I took the easier option of amending the 1.87 version for a club layout as the yard is at the rear of the layout . I have scratch built a scrap crusher to act as a reason for the crane to be working in that part of the yard

post-9435-0-53969200-1369550753_thumb.jpg

Thanks Enginelane, cobbler, i've had a look on the Walthers website and I think maybe scratchbuilding a baler / crusher & / or sheerer might be a possibility, I'll need to get some photo's/measurements from some scrapyards if i can get permision.

I've spent sometime studying the kibri kit components. I'll be starting assembly later today.

post-11636-0-39618600-1369571172_thumb.jpg

As the components in my photo suggests, aside the kibri kit my scratchbuilt model is'nt far off from being 4mm / 1ft, the body width is exactly the same, crane arms & stabilizer legs are also a very similar size, the claws of the grappler in kibri kit are a little smaller than mine, but I would think the real ones slightly vary in size anyway depending on what they're handleing.

post-11636-0-62119200-1369571145_thumb.jpg

Fitting the KIBRI claw/grab together is an ABSOLUTE POB - I eventually gave up (after about 15 goes, and many, many rude words) and welded it in a half open position so that it is still possible to insert some "scrap" between the claws - one of those metal pot-scourers, like springs, pulled apart and sprayed rust colour works quite well.

Thanks chaps,

post-11636-0-38418400-1369869980_thumb.jpg

I started on the body, 8 ball-bearings are supplied in the kit that go inside the 2 halves to act as a counterweight, I decided to add more weight by also filling with Deluxe 'Liquid Gravity' , quite heavy now as a result, so I reckon I'll also need to put a little ballast weight into the crane arm componant nearest to body.

post-11636-0-48113300-1369864567_thumb.jpg

Then studied both the assembly sheet & componant recognition sheet & removed required items from their sprues putting them in a container ready for assembly.

post-11636-0-22278100-1369864598_thumb.jpg

The stabilizer assemblies next, a bit of a fiddly task as care is needed not to break the tiny mouldings as the moving parts a clip fit assembly into the houseings.

I slightly modified the tow-hook thingy on the stabilizer houseing to be more prominant by removeing the moulded detail of the old tow hook & making my own with 0.4mm x 1.5mm styrene strip with 0.8mm holes drilled.

post-11636-0-00530400-1369864631_thumb.jpg

Onto spray primeing & painting the chassis & stabilizer housings,

post-11636-0-00739900-1369864665_thumb.jpg

The stabilizer houseings are  a loose 'push-fit' into the chassis ends, I dont want to weld them in permanantly but the risk being them dropping out & damageing those delicate stabilizers, so 2 strips of Evergreen #102 (1.0mm x 0.25mm) was put through chassis and welded in each corner as to make the stabilizer houseings a tighter fit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, on to the next stage, that intricate grappler claws assembly... :scare: , I polished the lenses of my reading glasses, rolled up my sleeves & took a deep breath...

I firstly studied the components/part numbers needed on both the assembly diagram & componant recognition sheet, then carefully removed the required components from the sprue.

I assembled in the following photo order shown below,

post-11636-0-53675600-1369864717_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-78932400-1369864757_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-18069300-1369864795_thumb.jpg

Right,  the assembly instructions indicate a  '*'  for any componant NOT to be welded with plastic weld solvent as to allow the free movement of claws, but tbh, unless you've super mini fingers, a steady hand & a 3rd hand its virtually impossible, So I just lightly applied a drop of styrene weld to start with on each claw pivot (from the 2nd photo above) , as to keep all claws in place whilst fitting the cover component in 3rd photo.

As its only a weak weld thats just done, the welded pivot should free itself & the arms rise & fall of neck collar should allow pivoting, but again, tbh, I think free movement is too intricate & tricky due to the tiny clip fit arms, so maybe choose the extent of 'open/closed position' for claws, then permanantly weld up every component for joining pivots.

post-11636-0-99566300-1369864839_thumb.jpg

The claw assembly seen next to my scratchbuilt version, my version being considerably larger, but as I mentioned before these may be different sizes in real life. 

The size of chassis, stabilizer legs & body are looking to be the same as my scratchbuilt version.

I'm getting the hang of it now & have just ordered another 2 Kibri kits, thus being an excavator with caterpillar tracks & another grappler crane which I intend to kitbash these & combine the 2 kits as to build a grappler crane with caterpillar tracks, which should be an interesting challenge.

Maybe usefull to also mention for those modeller in the uk that this particular kibri kit is quite hard to source a supplier, here's where I obtained mine from;

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=search_results&string=kib1&page_now=9

to be continued...

Brian, thanks for posting the above link, at the time of building my scratch-built version of claw assembly, I had a gut feeling that the size grappler claws might be on the large size, so good to know there are variants in size.

Scott, thanks mate. Its a lovely kit with high intricate detail, some advice I'll give is the assembly diagram & identification sheet for part numbers & sprues are a little confusing as not all parts are required, its only the numbered items that need picking off sprues, take plenty of time to study them carefully, I used a pencil to write the part number on some similar components , one big advantage is many components are a 'push / clip fit' , so plastic weld is only needed in certain area's.

Okay, a little more progress as shown below, but I'm adding more info & clarity about the 'assembly' at this critical stage with radical but achievable kit modifications & enhancements in mind;

post-11636-0-10889300-1370006985_thumb.jpg

I added some weight inside the one crane arm, I used some styrene strip to divide deep sections & keep the 'liquid gravity' (tiny ball bearing weights) in place.

The divided sections will also ensure the arm is more rigid. Getting the width of styrene strip to fit was easy, though it was 'trial & error' as to get the correct 'height' so that the underside cover sits properly when welded on.

post-11636-0-71567300-1370007032_thumb.jpg

I spent some time studying both sheets & the required components for the crane arms, putting these required components together in a plastic container.

post-11636-0-08739300-1370007109_thumb.jpg

Onto another part, I wanted to ease the friction on the component for rotation of body on chassis, I used a small amount of graphite powder, fileing a pencil should also work well, then I welded the retaining cap on. The bulk of body is a 'push-on / pull off' fit onto the 2 pegs.

post-11636-0-72718000-1370007224_thumb.jpg

The cab components, as I've mentioned I suspect as the kibri kit is 1/87, it'll be a tad under-scale. I used Evergreen strip #123 (0.5 x 1.5mm), welding these strips to the bottom of cab body & rear cab sealing panel. I used a black fineline permanent ink felt pen to colour the moulded on windscreen wiper. The 'glass' is a nice fit inside, the back panel when welded on seals the glass inside, so that will be at a later stage.

post-11636-0-52907800-1370007280_thumb.jpg

I modified the steering column by using some styrene rod to fit in hole in the cab floor, I also carved/modified the seat as to accommodate the seated driver, the driver is the bendy rubber* sort from Hornby, (*as he's made from rubber, he also works as a model railway club 'bouncer'*) .

I made a more prominent black door handle by cutting off the indicater stalk from the steering column that I didn't use.

I also made the cab door hinges more prominent by welding on some Evergreen #219 (0.25mm styrene rod).

post-11636-0-53130700-1370007337_thumb.jpg

Birdseye view of the chassis on a white background as to highlight the tow-hook components that I added to stabilizer housings as seen in my previous post.

post-11636-0-18563600-1370007442_thumb.jpg

Okay, this is where radical modifications can be a viable option, large yellow item #44 under the cab is as follows the assembly diagram, there's a small maintenance door (moulded recess detail) behind where the ladder would be... not sure I like that idea on this model, and there are variants of the real Lieberr 934, some having elevating cabs, caterpillar traction, safety cage over cab, etc, ...

post-11636-0-21809200-1370007470_thumb.jpg

Alternatively, another component moulded in yellow that's on a sprue but not meant to be used with this kit can be put to ideal usage for the modification I have in mind.

I'm also awaiting delivery of a kibri excavator kit (with caterpillar tracks) as to combine another 934 (the same kit I'm currently doing), combineing that other kit to build a high cab version with caterpillar tracks as seen in photo's below.

My hybrid kitbash of the 2 kibri kits will be based on images that I've obtained & printed (below) as for my modelling reference;

post-11636-0-66010600-1370007515_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-91988900-1370007564_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-49126800-1370007644_thumb.jpg

To be continued...

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress, mostly concentrating on the modification to kit for having the elevating operators cab version as shown in images in my previous post.

First of all, a little assembly job on the crane arms in photo below;

post-11636-0-17615000-1370889631_thumb.jpg

For the benefit of other modellers who may build this kit, I've indicated where the numbered components go for correct assembly. Best identified whilst still on the sprue as there are 3 different sorts of a similar profile (#25, #27. #29), those being the tiny yellow components. These are a push-fitting onto the sides of crane arms enableing a pivot for the hydraulic pistons & their housings.

Notice also the piston rams & their houseings, they're very similar, so best study the components diagram & sprue, maybe use a non permanent fine-nib felt pen to write a number or letter on each component & the identification parts list. 

Now on to some radical kit modification to do with the operators cab !

post-11636-0-70544200-1370889846_thumb.jpg

I scratchbuilt this assembly as to replace the 'hi-rise cab' version that the kit is supposed to be built as.

The assembly & method shown is similar to my other totally scratchbuilt crane seen on page 1,  this the basics of assembled component pivots to allow the operators cab pose for up or down positions...,

post-11636-0-08390000-1370889940_thumb.jpg

The length of the base (of which cab will be put on at a later stage) will be decided later, as, I've already shortened the base by 2mm too much, but that mis-judgement wont be a problem as I'll just add the required length needed to lengthen base using whatever 1.5mm thick strip from Evergreen.

post-11636-0-00995300-1370889895_thumb.jpg

Here's an end view of the same scratchbuilt assembly, the 1.2mm styrene pivot rods are all removeable at the moment, the rods are purposely over-length as to easily remove them for dismantleing the 4 components at various stages for modification, painting, adding of hydraulic cable loom (styrene rods or ribbon cable), etc .

post-11636-0-96445900-1370889981_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post, the kibri kit is supplied with a few components extra & not needed as they're sprues supplied for similar kits.

One such item, having a part number indicated on its sprue , BUT has no part I.D. number on the parts recognition sheet, so means that any items not listed are surplus to this specific kit, However, the item is perfect for the modification I have in mind. 

Its just the rear end of surplus component that I need, modified to fill in to make level  lower part, the rear portion is a push-fit onto body, fits on as shown below which also clarifies reason for one overlapping outer edge of the underside - as to follow profile of the rest of  bodyside it fits on to , as shown below;

post-11636-0-62730900-1370890013_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-07327800-1370890052_thumb.jpg

Above ^ preview as to give some idea of what the modification will look like when complete.

post-11636-0-02476600-1370890087_thumb.jpg

I've decided to use another method as to represent the hydraulic hoses & cables, 0.5mm x 0.5mm styrene strip, yep, its square but its colour is black, so there's no need to paint them or use permanent ink felt pen to colour them black.

Like my other crane, I reckon I'll need to make 2 slightly different lengths of hydraulic cables/hose's assembly, them being removable, as to allow correct length & strain-free hose/cables inserted over for having either high or low cab position.

With the above modification in mind, the moulded hose/cable detail on the crane arms I'll also need to replace, the only hydraulic cable/hose loom supplied with this kit is the loom from mid engine recess area to near the pivot base of the crane arm to body.

Thanks chaps,

A little more progress, As the main modification I've scratchbuilt from white styrene, I sprayed this & the rest of the body using Humbrol Maskol & masking tape to cover the some area's on the body.

The body is a 'push fit' onto 2 raised pegs on the rotateing part of chassis, as I've added extra weight inside the body I decided to improve the 'push-fit' to a tighter fit, so I added another raised peg and modified the 2 original pegs that go into the underside of body as shown in 2 photo's below,

post-11636-0-44682000-1371582989_thumb.jpg

post-11636-0-70825900-1371583025_thumb.jpg

A nice tight fit now, not too tight, but the body stays on chassis  much more stable now that I've improved it.

post-11636-0-40705700-1371583189_thumb.jpg

Test fitting the operators cab in raised pose, I've made 2 sets of hydraulic cable/pipe assemblies to fit over the lifting arms, they're removeable, depending on high or lower cab position.  

post-11636-0-73819900-1371583219_thumb.jpg

To help support it in raised position, I've made something that resembles a hydraulic ram that I put in or remove (depending on low or high position I want the cab) with a pair of tweezers, The ram is made of 1/16" aluminium tube inserted into an Evergreen #223 styrene tube that I widened the hole as to push the 1/16 aluminium tube

post-11636-0-21049700-1371583260_thumb.jpg

And lowered pose.

I added 0.4mm strip to all around the lower body as to widen the cab platform a fraction outward, the reason for this is to allow adequet clearance of the cab and the main crane arm. 

post-11636-0-67460300-1371583297_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I had to remove the cab mirror nearest crane arm due to clearance of cab & crane arm.

I enhanced the mirror by adding a tiny piece of silver foil tape, a tricky task to do, as the foil lost nearly all of its sticky backing due to handling,  so I sealed it over with a gentle brush coating of Humbrol Gloss-Cote. 

I've started on the final stage, as I mentioned in my previous post I wanted to improve the appearance of those hydraulic hoses on the crane arms,

post-11636-0-45968000-1371583331_thumb.jpg

I've used 0.6mm rod (evergreen #219) , with evergreen #101 for spaceings, I want to avoid painting this assembly due to risk of gaps clogging with spray paint, so I'll be colouring using the black permanent ink felt pen as shown.

Archived