Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Clickety-Clack Destination Boards

One idea I had for creating a working model Solari panel was to use a cheap smartphone running a Remote Desktop app or similar, which could interface with a laptop running the display. The smartphone could be mounted in a surround designed to simulate the Solari frame.

Cheaper than a smart phone would be something like this running off a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/912

There is open source software available to run the display.

http://flipper.pageforest.com/

http://www.caskale.net/newbeerboard/updatedsplitflap/

Cheers

David

• RMweb Premium

I have a Solari slat here on my desk - it's been a part of the office 'furniture' for as long as I've been here/can remember (27.5 years)

24.5" x 2" overall dimensions

There are 5 hinge slots 9/32" x 3/32" and 1/16" from the long edge, the outer ones inset 13/32" in from the end and then spaced (from the left, black side, slots at the bottom) 5 9/16" - 5 9/16" - 7 1/16" and 5 9/16" (all distance to centre of slot)

One side (hinge slots at the bottom) has 'STATIONS ON REQUEST' white on black, the reverse (hinge slots at the top) is 'PULLMAN' white on blue, with a 3/16" lower black band. Lettering on both sides in 1 3/8" high with the bottom of the lettering 5/8" from the slat edge.

• RMweb Gold

Do I understand from that that they would wind back to the beginning again and then forwards each time, even if the next destination was further down the list than the previous one?

From observation of the originals yes. Matt showed me the back of the display on Shelvington and that is exactly how his works too. Edit, as 28XX notes below they go forwards to the start point before displaying a new message.

It is based around an Arduino and everything is made from scratch. The flaps themselves are made from Plastikard and although Matt said he was contemplating rebuilding it with metal flaps to improve the noise, it sounded just right to my ears. It was just brilliant watching it, adding a whole new dimension of realism to the layout. Shelvington itself is one of the best, most interesting and entertaining model railway layouts I have ever seen or will ever see.

If you get the chance to see it then do, a work of genius on so many levels and they plan to extend it too, it very deservedly won the Ken York trophy at Scaleforum.

Thanks to Matt and Lee for one of the very best model railway experiences ever created!

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 1

Do I understand from that that they would wind back to the beginning again and then forwards each time, even if the next destination was further down the list than the previous one?

Not exactly. They only turn one way as they rely on gravity for the top flap to become the bottom flap. So they run on to the blank starting point before starting afresh to display the next message

From observation of the originals yes. Matt showed me the back of the display on Shelvington and that is exactly how his works too. Edit, as 28XX notes below they go forwards to the start point before displaying a new message.

It is based around an Arduino and everything is made from scratch. The flaps themselves are made from Plastikard and although Matt said he was contemplating rebuilding it with metal flaps to improve the noise, it sounded just right to my ears. It was just brilliant watching it, adding a whole new dimension of realism to the layout. .....

I think the Solari would have won a trophy all by itself. I've never seen one used on a layout before, and I wonder if this might herald a small growth in similar Solari displays for modern-image layouts? The rapid-fire clacking of the flaps also reminds me of the sound of card-shuffling tricks.

Might we also hear (unintelligible) platform announcements to add to the atmosphere?

Edited by Horsetan

I think the Solari would have won a trophy all by itself. I've never seen one used on a layout before, and I wonder if this might herald a small growth in similar Solari displays for modern-image layouts? The rapid-fire clacking of the flaps also reminds me of the sound of card-shuffling tricks.

Might we also hear (unintelligible) platform announcements to add to the atmosphere?

Certainly had more dimension to it than the usual flip card arrangement a lot of layouts use for announcements (not to disparage them in any way mind).

The last thing we need from exhibition layouts is more sound! it all becomes a cacophony with all layouts competing with each other. In isolation a platform announcement tannoy would be great, at an exhibition less so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
6 hours ago, bickybtrains said:

Do you still have that Excell file.  I would love to try it out on my layout.

Yes, I still have it somewhere - PM me your email address and I'll see if I can find it.

In terms of getting it on a smaller screen, it did occur to me that a smartphone running Google Remote Desktop could be used, with a cover fitted over the phone to disguise it as an indicator board.