User: Facebook

• RMweb Premium

Maybe I am a technical luddite (and I do, and have worked in IT for a loooong time) but how is Facebook a user and how is Facebook browsing topics?

Guest Natalie Graham

It does look like it is something of that kind. A couple of days ago 'Facebook' (in light grey text) was showing in the list of 'user(s) reading this topic' at the bottom of the page, It seemed to at the bottom of every page too as it was on all the ones I looked at. But then, so was I. ;)

• RMweb Premium

Maybe I am a technical luddite (and I do, and have worked in IT for a loooong time) but how is Facebook a user and how is Facebook browsing topics?

I'm really glad you asked that question because I, too, thought I was being a bit stupid in not comprehending what was going on. "Facebook" seems to have been everywhere, though last time I looked it was only an online user!!

I would love to know what this means. Maybe we are getting a bit suspicious after all the hacking paraphernalia!!?

Jeff

It's actually Facebook as a spider/search bot (searching for references to Facebook links) in the same way as Google, Yahoo, Bing etc can often be found on the list whilst they're indexing material, probably because there is an RMweb Facebook account used as Coachmann says for updating on outages etc. It does not collect any data with respect to users or whether they've got Facebook accounts.

• 6 months later...

It does not collect any data with respect to users or whether they've got Facebook accounts.

How can you tell what information the spider is collecting in its web, did they tell you, did you believe them. If they are gathering information what is to stop them collating key words in posts with poster's identities and frequency and the times posts were made with similar posts made on other forums perhaps with the same username? ???????

????? or am I a little late for Halloween?

• RMweb Premium

Am I allowed to use a Facebook link on here to a video my daughter took on the PDSR last week ? Shes gave me her permission. ;)

Facebook provides a specially coded "public" link for media uploaded to a user's account access to which is normally controlled by that user through their FB account settings. As such Facebook imply their consent that these links may be posted in other places and I therefore see no problem in posting the link here. If Andy objects of course then I'm sure he will say so.Look for the link which says (something like) "Share this photo / video with anyone", copy and paste that and not the normal FB link. Remember also that many users here may be on work computers which have access to social media blocked. They may still be unable to view the clip for that reason.

Archived