What is scratch building in 2012?

I'll bet most contributors have no experience of kitbuilding let alone scratchbuilding other than talking a good model...

Having a quick glance through a few pages shows that the vast majority of contributors are at least very accomplished kitbuilders, some are also talented scratchbuilders as well.

I'll bet most contributors have no experience of kitbuilding let alone scratchbuilding other than talking a good model, and so a 14-page diatribe on the subject is meaningless.

Really? If I understand this statement correctly, and it reflects similar statements you've made in this thread, then you're saying the armchair modeller, the rtr buyer, or someone who's just curious about the subject has no welcome or valid opinion here without practical experience and proof of such?

Are we done here then?

Paul

But what is scratch building if it is not about cutting out and forming sheet into models?

It is about producing a model for yourself.

It is about going beyond what is commercially available (or not available as the case may be). It is not about any specific method of achieving that goal. Historically this has meant a lot of work with sheet metal and solder but that is simply because those were the materials and tools available at the time.

Cutting out parts from sheet metal and soldering them toegther is just one way to scratch build. That does not mean that a model must be built this way to be considered scratch-built.

I agree it is the end result that matters. Yes it is about the way it is made I agree with you there too. But to say there are no skills involve I think is wrong. You have great skills in CAD work which in turn make some lovely etches. But there is in that no skill in cutting out the parts for your "scratch built" model.

You have completely misunderstood what I was saying. I am NOT saying that there is no skill in scratch-building (or etching or CAD). What I am saying is that a methodology (cutting sheet-metal in your example) is not a guarantee of skill. This is what your previous post stated.

Colin sneaked this one in without much comment, and yet it covers all bases and it still holds good to this day and much as I've always understood it.

It use to be so simple.

If you took it out of a box and set it on the track it was "ready to run"

If you took it out of a box and put it together and then set it on the track it was "kit built"

If you had to make the parts for the kit yourself it was "scratch built"

Can't the above still apply, no matter how you made the parts, or what tools you used?

Maybe it's time to call the thread quits?

Colin sneaked this one in without much comment, and yet it covers all bases and it still holds good to this day and much as I've always understood it.

Maybe it's time to call the thread quits?

Yep I agree we are going around in circles - I'll go to the modelling bench and do some scratchbuilding instead!

Jack

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

It seems to me that the underlying tone to this topic is one of a perceived hierarchy perhaps of difficulty over worth.

so with that in mind I propose the following (in ascending order)

RTR

Kitbuilt

Adapting Kits

Adapting RTR

Scratchbuilding

Kit design.

Its not a definative list as its not always easier to adapt a kit than something RTR (but it usually is) and sometimes having adapted something RTR I have got to the end and thought that it would have been much easier to have scratchbuilt it.

Of course if you look at the same list from the point of view of whats most important for the hobby as a whole (just an example) you tend to find scratchbuilding at the bottom of the list and RTR at the top. But then I suppose you can find a criteria to give you which ever result you like at the top.

At the end of the day I think its fair to say that one thing holds true. That being the best models are a combination of all elements and not just one or two.

Cheers

Jim

Archived