Bessborough and Abergavenny in colour

• RMweb Gold

I found this on Youtube - a wonderful film of Brighton in the 1930s. A lot of shots of the two J class Pacific tanks, and a wonderful sequence of the Sunny South Express pulled by an I3.

Simply amazing to see colour from that era. Pity the tanks had already had the cabs cut down - they were more elegant before, certainly. That final shot of the SSE might be of wider interest as it contains good views of LMS stock, probably of pre-grouping origin, I think. Has Coachmann seen this?

Simply amazing to see colour from that era. Pity the tanks had already had the cabs cut down - they were more elegant before, certainly. That final shot of the SSE might be of wider interest as it contains good views of LMS stock, probably of pre-grouping origin, I think. Has Coachmann seen this?

This must be from the late 1930s, as there's no sign of the 4-6-4 tanks which were rebuilt in the mid 30s. I've changed the post description to include the LMS stock. I'd be interested to know what the clerestory roofed vehicle is - possibly a LNWR vehicle.

This film was part of the DVD "Southern Steam 1897-1967" produced in association with West Sussex Records Office and available through the Bluebell Railway shop and elsewhere. I think there are now three DVDs in the series. The shots of Brighton are stated as c1938 in the notes.

Ian and I don't normally disagree much, but I prefer the Js and I3s after the cab modifications!

I must add I too prefer them with the new cabs. They are a pair of very well proportioned tanks. I have always want one, but how do I justify it on the LSWR section.

Not unreasonable. A1's and E1R's found their way westward, as did the N15X. Elsewhere someone is suggesting a might-have-been between Dorchester and Sherborne. A strong medium-size tank would have helped this scenario. It's not so much the loco that causes a challenge, but the passenger rolling stock. I am still tempted by the thought of Triang clerestories converted to ex-LSW non-corridor stock. This last has been attempted, and done well.

PB

The LNWR diner looks like it was a regular in the train. I've got hold of a copy of Locomotives Illustrated number 37, which covers the larger Brighton locos, and there's a photo of the Sunny South Express in 1938 behind a H1, complete with a LNWR dining car.

• 1 month later...

Archived