StowRail

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

My small French HO layout Cogirep - an entrant in the 2007 Rmweb challenge! - will be one of several (predominantly foreign-orientated) models showing at StowRail on Sunday 20th May.

http://www.stowrail.org.uk/wordpress/

P4110208.JPG

Other layouts include:

Khan (009) - Namibia

Red Rocks - 1920s-30s California logging

Bootlegger Canyon - 1925 Colorado rockies

Roundhouse - 1950s Union Pacific

Coyote Creek - contemporary railroading in Arizona

All proceeds to Action Medical Research.

• RMweb Gold

Usually a very informal show with excellent cakes and lots of opportunities to chat....(also in a very nice spot if a family trip out is required) and its for a good cause. I think I may be helping with Bootlegger Canyon but as I said its very very informal but with a very high standard of layouts.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

We had a very good drive to Stow this morning. Even with a stop for McDonald's breakfast on the outskirts of Oxfoed we did the journey in two hours.

Must be one of the nicest buildings we have done a show in. The show is upstairs but it was easy to unload and load via the stairs and the small disabled lift.

We were kept well fed with cakes and lunch plus plenty of tea.

A very nicely organised show with a fair number of people through the door going fairly quiet over lunch.

The layout performed well. A bit longer journey home with the usual Subday evening queue on the M25 around Staines.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Have to agree with all the comments made. Cogirep was even better in real life and I had fun playing trains on Bootlegger Canyon. A nice informal show with an eclectic mixture of informed rmwwebbers and the other usual suspects, Stow families and bemused Cotswold tourists ...excellent cakes too - free to exhibitors.....dangerous...

Chris

• RMweb Gold

(Attempted to post this once, it failed, so here's another go):

Very enjoyable day out with Cogirep at this fine and friendly show. As Roundhouse says, it's a very nice venue - it's quite nice to be upstairs! I was situated in a bay window with a raised floor, which was ideal for Cogirep as people could choose their own viewing height just by standing back a bit. I also plonked down a toolbox which allowed some of the younger visitors to get a good look. There were a few minor gremlins initially but overall the layout worked well and the improved frontage has saved a bit of time with set-up and tear-down. The show was over by 4.00 and I had the layout "stowed" back in the car by 4.40, not bad considering I had to go and collect the car from a nearby carpark before I could start loading. I was back home in Wales by 7.15. Thank you to Andrew the organiser, all the lovely people making cakes and coffee, and it was very good to meet Roundhouse, Gilbert, Taigatrommel and one or two others. As always I enjoyed handing the controls of Cogirep to anyone up for a play, including a number of youngsters, all of whom intuitively grasped the DCC system very quickly. The look on one lad's face when he pressed the function button and made the diesel toot its horn was priceless. Hopefully some photos of the day will surface on the StowRail website.

Funniest moment of the day: a couple of American tourists had popped in to see the show, expecting to see some examples of British railway modelling - but all they got was more American! By the time they got to my layout the man said "at last, a British model!". I had to break it to him that Cogirep was French! But I suppose it's close enough compared to America.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm just going to bump this topic - looks like being another nice show and I can confirm the cake will be up to the normal high standards.

My layout - Bakewell Street - may actually be working in time for the show. Here's a picture of work in progresspost-1107-0-25560200-1398883231_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm going to bump this up again - I was very relieved to find that I can fit all the bits necessary for my new layout in my car when I did a dry run this evening so I may actually have something to show on Sunday...post-1107-0-71977000-1400096594_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Layout all unloaded and stored away - another good show in a wonderful, venue in the middle of Stow. Record numbers through the door despite the glorious weather. Some quick images. The last photo was actually a war gaming display.

post-1107-0-51764300-1400441888_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-28921400-1400441906_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-01758500-1400441937_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-73685000-1400441954_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-48376200-1400441968_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-53181100-1400441983_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-47916000-1400441997_thumb.jpg

post-1107-0-10286600-1400442014_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Stowrail  update - Andrew aka "the Colonel" has asked me to pass on the following post - remember the proceeds go to Action Medical Research for Chilldren - http://www.action.org.uk/

"Cake sales were down and the expenses up but we still made £762, our highest yet and had our highest number of visitors.
Next year is already full up as wonderful layouts (and their owners) are inviting themselves!
"

"Book early" as they say...

Chris

Archived